AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD for Mac student edition

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
EHelbling
985 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD for Mac student edition

Does anyone know if the Windows and Mac version of AutoCad are compatible? My son is going to be using the Windows version at school, but has a Mac computer at home. If he starts a project using the Windows version at school, can he continue to work on it at home with the Mac version?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
maxim_k
in reply to: EHelbling

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hello,

DWG files are fully compatible (actually they are the same in Windows and in Mac version), but interface and features are different. Mac version looks more like Mac application, there is no Ribbon in Mac version, Tool Palettes looks and sometimes works differently.
Here is comparsion matrix of PC and Mac versions:
http://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-autocad/compare/compare-platforms
If your son is going to learn AutoCAD at school on a Windows version he should be ready to learn different workflow at home on Mac.
The differences are not too critical to experienced AutoCAD user, but or novice....
Anyway he can try - you always have a chance to install AutoCAD for Windows in Virtual Machine or on Boot Camp partition on your Mac at home.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 9
EHelbling
in reply to: maxim_k

Maxim,
I've read about the boot camp partition...something about how it runs parallel to the Mac system. I'd have to call Applecare to help with that option, as I really have no idea how to format something like that on his computer.
The other option I have is to download the Windows version to his brother's computer, which is not a Mac. If he tries to download the Mac version to his computer, and it doesn't work, could he then download the Windows version instead to his brother's computer? I'm not sure if the student licenses allow only one download, or only to one computer.
Thanks so much for your help!!
Message 4 of 9
maxim_k

You have an opportunity to install Mac version of AutoCAD on Mac and use it
as Trial for 30 days (you don't need to activate Student license on Mac for
this period. I think that 30 days would be enough to understand all
the differences between PC and Mac versions.
I'm not sure about Student license, but commercial license allow to
install AutoCAD on two machines: two PCs, or on one Mac and one PC, or on
two Macs.

Maxim

--
Thanks,
Maxim

Sent from my iPhone

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 9
EHelbling

Thanks for the help. The more I'm researching this, the more I think the boot camp option with the windows version available on his Mac will be the easiest for him. I'm going to contact Apple about setting it up. The 30 day trial is a great option as well. Thanks so much again for your help and advice.
Message 6 of 9
segrube627

Hi,

I have the Mac student version 2011.  I just installed it January 2 (with much difficulty), but it is installed and should work.  The problem is that it crashes every time I use it.  CAD does open and I can spend about 2 or 3 minutes on it, but then it crashes.  It has been like this ever since I have installed it, continually getting worse.  HOw can I fix this? I really need to use it for school...

-Sydney

Tags (2)
Message 7 of 9
maxim_k
in reply to: segrube627

Hi Sydney,

Which OS do you have on your Mac?
I'm just curious why you installed 2011 version, because the current version is 2014.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 9
segrube627

HI,

I have OS Mavericks.  I picked the 2011 version because the version that my school has is 2010.  My teacher told me that it would be best to get whatever is closest to the school version so that I can share files between the two.  Could I still sve a 2014 file as a 2010 file? If so, can I delet my current version and install the 2014 as a student?  And Im still having the problem with it crashing.  I noticed that it happens every time I enter the sweep command and other 3D commands

Thanks

Sydney

Message 9 of 9
maxim_k

Hi Sydney,

2011 version should not run on Mavericks at all, you are lucky if you can launch it and open some file 🙂
You need to install 2014 version- as it is fully compatible with Mavericks.
You can set default format for save in AC 2014 Preferences to 2010 DWG format (or even to 2004, or 2000 DWG).

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost