AutoCAD for Mac General Discussion

Valued Contributor
knmdk
Message 11 of 33 (5,820 Views)

Re: AutoCAD for Mac and Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

07-31-2012 04:00 PM in reply to: maxim_k

maxim_k wrote:
Sorry, I don't own new MacBook with Retina display, so I never have seen how AutoCad looks on it. As I understand you say, that the contents of Drawing area are blurted. Never thought about this....

Maxim

Well quite opposite — interface parts should be blurred. I'll receive a MacBook Pro with Retina display in a couple of days and confirm.

vitale.simone wrote:

mountain lion was announced on february 2012, there where like 4 developers preview. now it's out and beta programs to test a patch for acad have YET to be announced. it's... baffling, to say the least.

should we expect autocad 2014 for mac to fix the problems?

You totally understand my point.

raumpunkt wrote:

Autocad 2013 does work with Mountain Lion so far. No Problems here.

Personally I haven't faced any report for faulty running AutoCAD under OS X 10.8. So why to open a thread with warnings and place warnings all over the web, Autodesk?

K00da wrote:

I've got the be honest..... I don't give a monkey's about Retina display support (or Lion for that matter). 

I'd rather have .................

Retina display support doesn't even factor on what the application actually needs to get the job done properly. AutoCAD is a business application and the bottom line is I use it to make money. To me it's kind of sad that AutoDesk are getting caught up in making things pretty over making it functional and productive. Personally I measure the success of AutoCAD in the amount of time I spend using it - the less the better - I want productivity over anything else.

You're completely right on all the limitations you've mentioned. Today I'm using AutoCAD under OS X only for some quick fixes. It's so frustrating you have to keep Windows and a separate AutoCAD (I'm running Civil 3D as well) for all heavy work. Good to know I'm not alone here.

Personally I'm not using any online "social services" and hate all that "sharing" crap over the web too (as well as everything except iMessage which is pretty handy). However you're a bit off when it goes to "eye-candy" of the application. Blurry things on the screen make your eyes work harder. So that's bad for your health.

P.S. It's funny how Autodesk representatives are ignoring this thread.

Contributor
K00da
Message 12 of 33 (5,801 Views)

08-01-2012 01:59 AM in reply to: knmdk

I gather the blurryness is only with the Retina display & not the normal one?

My comments about eye-candy were directed at the development path in general. It seems to be part of AD trying to make it appear user friendly, when what makes it user friendly (or not) is the functionality.

I don't have a Retina diplay on my MBP and it also spends 90% of its time plugged into a 4 year old 20 inch cinema, so I'm unsure it will effect me for a few years.

henrialeksihanninen
Message 13 of 33 (5,776 Views)

08-01-2012 09:25 AM in reply to: maxim_k

Someone said this earlier but I'll confirm that AutoCAD 2013 is working fine with no problems on Mountain Lion. I have macbook pro 13" 2010 mid.

vitale.simone
Message 14 of 33 (5,760 Views)

08-01-2012 01:48 PM in reply to: knmdk

Did you upgrade or did you do a clean install of the OS?

When I upgraded from snow leopard to lion, autocad 2011 for mac (that was already installed) worked fine.

When I did a clean install and installed lion the autocad 2011 for mac installer refused to launch.

henrialeksihanninen
Message 15 of 33 (5,755 Views)

08-01-2012 02:17 PM in reply to: maxim_k
I upgraded. I'm too lazy to install all these programs, move my files and set everything back to normal. Autocad 2012 which I used before just stuck on startup screen and crashed. I didn't give a try to install 2012 version after the osx upgrade because newer version was available. But 2013 is working, yei!
*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 16 of 33 (5,530 Views)

08-07-2012 12:52 AM in reply to: maxim_k
BTW, Beta1 of SP3 for AutoCAD 2012 for Mac ready for testing. It resolves the problems with running AutoCAD 2012 for Mac on OSX 10.8, plus it includes fixes for general problems identified after AutoCAD 2012 for Mac SP2 was made available.
The project can be accessed in the AutoCAD Futures project at https://beta.autodesk.com

Maxim
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

Active Contributor
gregory
Message 17 of 33 (5,315 Views)

08-12-2012 08:33 PM in reply to: K00da

I agree with everying you're saying!  But I have to say Mountain Lion and the Airplay Mirroring to the Big screen at the office makes this new OS amazing for client presentations!

Active Contributor
gregory
Message 18 of 33 (5,284 Views)

08-13-2012 02:00 PM in reply to: maxim_k

Maxim,

When usign up for the beta, do they give you a free licence?  Or do you have to downgrade or upgrade accordingly?

Best,

-G

Contributor
rcoggins
Message 19 of 33 (5,272 Views)

Re: AutoCAD for Mac 2103 and Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

08-13-2012 07:17 PM in reply to: gregory

No iAutocad 2013 for mac is not operating properly. Do not do the upgrade if you depend on Autocad. Inability to use certain drawing tools properly with certain ortho modes. Cant draw a vertical line with ortho on...etc Do not upgrade.

*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 20 of 33 (5,264 Views)

08-13-2012 10:22 PM in reply to: gregory

Hi Gregory,

When you sign up for testing beta versions of Service Packs, you have to own the software you want to apply these SP. If you participate in beta testing of new software, then you will receive this software (under NDA).

Maxim

Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community