AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD for Mac and Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
maxim_k
8699 Views, 32 Replies

AutoCAD for Mac and Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Hi,

The release of Mountain Lion is near.

And I just want to point everybody to this article in Autodesk Knowledge Base:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=20109560&linkID=15839490

"AutoCAD 2013 for Mac, AutoCAD 2012 for Mac, AutoCAD LT 2013 for Mac and AutoCAD LT 2012 for Mac are currently NOT supported on the Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) operating system.

Until such time as a service pack is available, Autodesk highly recommend NOT installing Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) on any machines where AutoCAD 2013 for Mac, AutoCAD 2012 for Mac, AutoCAD LT 2013 for Mac, or AutoCAD LT 2012 for Mac is required."

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
knmdk
in reply to: maxim_k

It's been three days since Mountain Lion has been released.

1. When Autodesk plans to allow it's customers to upgrade to a more secure and up-to-date operating system?

2. Will Autodesk finally make AutoCAD 2013 support MacBook Pro with Retina display with the upcoming OS X 10.8 compatibility update? It's been over a month since WWDC where Apple told us Autodesk will update AutoCAD for Mac with Retina support shortly...

Message 3 of 33
maxim_k

Hi,
I'm nit aware of the date of the Update for AutoCAD, but I'm just curious what do you expect from "support for Retina display"? How do you think this technology can be used in AutoCAD? I thought it could be successfuly used in raster processing software, such as Photoshop, or in video application, or at least in word processing software. But in AutoCAD?
Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 4 of 33
knmdk

That's quite simple. Without Retina support interface looks blurry. I can't confirm if it goes to Model space as well at the moment. Probably not since you can scale Model window to any size and it's being processed with computer's 3D architecture. Anyway such expensive piece of software should meet highest standards. ArchiCAD has been successfully updated to meet Retina standards a while ago.

Message 5 of 33
maxim_k

Sorry, I don't own new MacBook with Retina display, so I never have seen how AutoCad looks on it. As I understand you say, that the contents of Drawing area are blurted. Never thought about this....

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 6 of 33
vitale.simone

same thing happenend with lion and autocad for mac 2011 if i'm correct. and the patch was called autocad for mac 2012 (a.k.a. the first usable version of autocad for mac).

mountain lion was announced on february 2012, there where like 4 developers preview. now it's out and beta programs to test a patch for acad have YET to be announced. it's... baffling, to say the least.

adobe announced creative suite from 3 to the latest and greatest 6 are fully compatible, microsoft's office 2008 and 2011 are compatible.

vectorworks 2012 and 2011 are compatible like ArchiCAD 15 and 16.

should we expect autocad 2014 for mac to fix the problems?

Message 7 of 33
David_Stacey

I agree with what you're saying Vitale. Autodesk appear to be exceedingly slow in supporting updates for AutoCAD for Mac. Is anyone out there beta testing updates for AutoCAD for Mac?

I've always found it humorous the product name doesn't correspond with the year of release (2013 released in early 2012?????).

AutoDesk? Hello? Anyone there?
Message 8 of 33
raumpunktmp

Autocad 2013 does work with Mountain Lion so far. No Problems here.

Message 9 of 33
K00da
in reply to: raumpunktmp

I've got the be honest..... I don't give a monkey's about Retina display support (or Lion for that matter). 

I'd rather have a design Centre to replace the "Content" (ahem....),

I'd rather have Dynamic Blocks Editor/Author,

I'd rather have some toolbars,

I'd rather have a functional layer manager,

I'd rather have a Layer states manager,

I'd rather have a CTB editor,

I'd rather have a sensible plot dialogue,

I'd rather have .................

Retina display support doesn't even factor on what the application actually needs to get the job done properly. AutoCAD is a business application and the bottom line is I use it to make money. To me it's kind of sad that AutoDesk are getting caught up in making things pretty over making it functional and productive. Personally I measure the success of AutoCAD in the amount of time I spend using it - the less the better - I want productivity over anything else.

Having just watched the trailer for Lion, its just full of new toys I don't use.

Iphone & Ipad integration - I don't have either.

ICloud - I don't use it

Integrated Facebook, twitter..... I don't use any of them,

Imessage - I don't use it.

Notification Centre - Is this different from the red dot that pops up in the dock?

Safari - Opera? Firefox?

Dictation - What for?

Streaming to HD TV - I dont have a TV.

Gaming centre - Where do people find the time?

All toys for the home user.

Grumble, grumble..........

Message 10 of 33
K00da
in reply to: David_Stacey

@David_Stacey wrote:

I've always found it humorous the product name doesn't correspond with the year of release (2013 released in early 2012?????).

At one of the ADT user groups years ago the developers where asked that question & the respose was " because that's about when you guys will actually start uising it"

Message 11 of 33
knmdk

@maxim_k wrote:
Sorry, I don't own new MacBook with Retina display, so I never have seen how AutoCad looks on it. As I understand you say, that the contents of Drawing area are blurted. Never thought about this....

Maxim

Well quite opposite — interface parts should be blurred. I'll receive a MacBook Pro with Retina display in a couple of days and confirm.

@vitale.simone wrote:

mountain lion was announced on february 2012, there where like 4 developers preview. now it's out and beta programs to test a patch for acad have YET to be announced. it's... baffling, to say the least.

should we expect autocad 2014 for mac to fix the problems?

You totally understand my point.

@raumpunkt wrote:

Autocad 2013 does work with Mountain Lion so far. No Problems here.

Personally I haven't faced any report for faulty running AutoCAD under OS X 10.8. So why to open a thread with warnings and place warnings all over the web, Autodesk?

@K00da wrote:

I've got the be honest..... I don't give a monkey's about Retina display support (or Lion for that matter). 

Retina display support doesn't even factor on what the application actually needs to get the job done properly. AutoCAD is a business application and the bottom line is I use it to make money. To me it's kind of sad that AutoDesk are getting caught up in making things pretty over making it functional and productive. Personally I measure the success of AutoCAD in the amount of time I spend using it - the less the better - I want productivity over anything else.

You're completely right on all the limitations you've mentioned. Today I'm using AutoCAD under OS X only for some quick fixes. It's so frustrating you have to keep Windows and a separate AutoCAD (I'm running Civil 3D as well) for all heavy work. Good to know I'm not alone here.

Personally I'm not using any online "social services" and hate all that "sharing" crap over the web too (as well as everything except iMessage which is pretty handy). However you're a bit off when it goes to "eye-candy" of the application. Blurry things on the screen make your eyes work harder. So that's bad for your health.

P.S. It's funny how Autodesk representatives are ignoring this thread.

Message 12 of 33
K00da
in reply to: knmdk

I gather the blurryness is only with the Retina display & not the normal one?

My comments about eye-candy were directed at the development path in general. It seems to be part of AD trying to make it appear user friendly, when what makes it user friendly (or not) is the functionality.

I don't have a Retina diplay on my MBP and it also spends 90% of its time plugged into a 4 year old 20 inch cinema, so I'm unsure it will effect me for a few years.

Message 13 of 33

Someone said this earlier but I'll confirm that AutoCAD 2013 is working fine with no problems on Mountain Lion. I have macbook pro 13" 2010 mid.

Message 14 of 33
vitale.simone
in reply to: knmdk

Did you upgrade or did you do a clean install of the OS?

When I upgraded from snow leopard to lion, autocad 2011 for mac (that was already installed) worked fine.

When I did a clean install and installed lion the autocad 2011 for mac installer refused to launch.

Message 15 of 33

I upgraded. I'm too lazy to install all these programs, move my files and set everything back to normal. Autocad 2012 which I used before just stuck on startup screen and crashed. I didn't give a try to install 2012 version after the osx upgrade because newer version was available. But 2013 is working, yei!
Message 16 of 33
maxim_k

BTW, Beta1 of SP3 for AutoCAD 2012 for Mac ready for testing. It resolves the problems with running AutoCAD 2012 for Mac on OSX 10.8, plus it includes fixes for general problems identified after AutoCAD 2012 for Mac SP2 was made available.
The project can be accessed in the AutoCAD Futures project at https://beta.autodesk.com

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 17 of 33
gregory
in reply to: K00da

I agree with everying you're saying!  But I have to say Mountain Lion and the Airplay Mirroring to the Big screen at the office makes this new OS amazing for client presentations!

Message 18 of 33
gregory

Maxim,

When usign up for the beta, do they give you a free licence?  Or do you have to downgrade or upgrade accordingly?

Best,

-G

Message 19 of 33
rcoggins
in reply to: gregory

No iAutocad 2013 for mac is not operating properly. Do not do the upgrade if you depend on Autocad. Inability to use certain drawing tools properly with certain ortho modes. Cant draw a vertical line with ortho on...etc Do not upgrade.

Message 20 of 33
maxim_k
in reply to: gregory

Hi Gregory,

When you sign up for testing beta versions of Service Packs, you have to own the software you want to apply these SP. If you participate in beta testing of new software, then you will receive this software (under NDA).

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost