AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD for MAC user? Give them your feedback

140 REPLIES 140
Message 1 of 141
pendean
7367 Views, 140 Replies

AutoCAD for MAC user? Give them your feedback

@ShaanHurley: Have You Tried or Use #AutoCAD for Mac? The Team would like your feedback. http://t.co/kU1FkxGSHh
140 REPLIES 140
Message 21 of 141
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

im using mac autocad 2014, i was woundering if i can still use it on microsoft autocad? will anything change on the plan i make?

Message 22 of 141
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

Yes, you can use AC 2014 for Mac on one machine (Mac) and activate AC 2014 for Windows on another machine (PC) with the same serial number:

http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2013/03/cross-platform-licensing-of-autocad-mac-windows....

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 23 of 141
dbhatcher
in reply to: maxim_k

But not if you purchased AC Mac 2014 from the Mac Store. Correct? That's
why I'm stuck with a broken Autocad 2013 that Autodesk will not bother to
update or allow me to upgrade.

BRENT HATCHER
Message 24 of 141
jessica.t
in reply to: dbhatcher

Hi Brent,

What do you mean by a broken AutoCAD 2013? Why were you not aloud to upgrade it? I would like to help you if I can, any extra details would be great. Feel free to send me a private message if you like.

Thank you!

Jessica Thrasher
Message 25 of 141
kevin.v.thai

AutoCAD 2013 for Mac does not work at all on my computer, it just hangs on the splash screen; and I need this for class.

Plus, I updated it with SP2 and it still won't run.

https://copy.com/733BZWt6TGsU

MacOS 10.6.8

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz

8GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 320M

256 MB VRAM

Message 26 of 141
rgwhatley

When autocad is running I get problems with screen tearing. This occurs when swiping between desktops, and zooming in and out or panning drawings. If I quit autocad or switch to a different application the problem goes away. To me it looks like a vsync issue with autocad.

Message 27 of 141
maxim_k
in reply to: rgwhatley

Hi,
Which version of AutoCAD you are using and which OS do you have?

Maxim

--
Thanks,
Maxim

Sent from my iPhone

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 28 of 141
rgwhatley

Autocad 2014, running on mavericks fully updated. It was the same with autocad 2013 and 2012 on all versions of osx back to lion. Its worse on the macbook than the imac.

Macbook pro 13"

2.5ghz i5

8gb ram 

750gb

hd4000

imac 27"

16gb ram

3.2ghz i5

1tb fusion drive

geforce 660M

Message 29 of 141
maxim_k

Have you tried Beta version of SP1?
It appears that it should resolve this issue.

Maxim

--
Thanks,
Maxim

Sent from my iPhone

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 30 of 141
maxim_k

OK, I just checked with Beta3 of SP1 installed, and the issue is still here. I mean I can see jitter on the borders of black vertical stripe when switching between Desktops.
It is interesting, but the only one AutoCAD for Mac which doesn't give this flickering effect is MAS version of AutoCAD LT 2012 for Mac, but the speed of its graphics engine is the worst of all AutoCADs for Mac (excluding 2011 version).

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 31 of 141
Anonymous

I just recently downloaded AutoCAD AutoDesk 2014 for the Mac for students, and I have Mavericks, but everytime I've tried to load the program, it has crashed on me. I haven't even seen the interface yet?

Message 32 of 141
rgwhatley

Will this ever be fixed? Autocad on windows does not have this problem.

Message 33 of 141
maxim_k

@rgwhatley wrote:

Autocad on windows does not have this problem.

I'm afraid you are not quite right:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014/AutoCAD-2014-and-Windows-8-1/m-p/4632085/highlight/t...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014/AutoCAD-2014-Windows-8-1-loss-of-license/m-p/4733551...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014/AutoCAD-2014-is-not-working-after-installing-Windows...

On Mac the problems with AutoCAD 2014 starts with Mavericks 10.9.1 update (and not for all users - I don't have problems). Hope developers will resolve such issues with SP1, which is now under Beta testing.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 34 of 141
rgwhatley

Sorry I was replying to your answer regarding the screen tearing problem.

Message 35 of 141
maxim_k

Ah! I see. Yes you are right. But the problem is deeper than you can imagine.
Could you answer the question:
What do you prefer - to have lagging cursor in the drawing area or get rid of small flickering when you switch between Desktops? In my opinion it is better to work with comfort in AutoCAD, then see sharp vertical divider while changing Desktops.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 36 of 141
rgwhatley

But it affects the drawing window too, and on the laptop it's particularly bad. 3d modelling is near unusable, if I import the same model into windows autocad even running in bootcamp its a lot faster. Why is this an either/or situation? I've never had issues like this with any other piece of software. 

Message 37 of 141
maxim_k

@rgwhatley wrote:

But it affects the drawing window too, and on the laptop it's particularly bad. 3d modelling is near unusable, if I import the same model into windows autocad even running in bootcamp its a lot faster. ....

I can agree that AC for Mac is extremely resource demanding application and Graphics card should be quite fast in order to work with complex drawings. And this affects 3D drawings on the first place.

@rgwhatley wrote:

Why is this an either/or situation? I've never had issues like this with any other piece of software. 

Do you mean cross-platform solutions? Such as Archicad or Adobe software?

Yes, AutoCAD for Mac for now is not as fast as PC version, but please don't forget that AutoCAD for Mac is only 3.5 years old and other software is much older. Lets hope that all these issues will be resolved sooner or later.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 38 of 141
Anonymous

Firstly, welcome back autocad on Mac machine.

Have tried autocad 2014 for Mac, very amazing. I'm autocad architecture 2008 user run ACA2008 via Fusion.
Will be uninstall trial autocad 2014 for Mac.

Cad4mac not cover my experience likes ACA, specially Data Extraction command.

Need explanation, can you see preview dwg files thumbnail on finder if there's no autocad app on maverick, I created dwg from ACA2008 over Fusion and only see icons on finder, and of course full thumbnail if preview from windows explorer.

Thanks
Message 39 of 141
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

@Anonymous wrote:
Need explanation, can you see preview dwg files thumbnail on finder if there's no autocad app on maverick...

Thanks

I think - no, you need to install AutoCAD to see DWG previews.

On the other hand - I am long-time user of XnViewMP for Mac and it appears that this application can preview thumbnails stored in DWG files (the latest version supports only AutoCAD 2013 DWG format).

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 40 of 141
Anonymous

I am using AutoCAD 2014. I am currently in school for CADD (computer aided drafting and design). We do several drawing problems each class and what I have found is that I am at a disadvantage to the other students who are using the PC version. I have tried several ways of saving, exporting, and importing various layers used in one drawing to the next. I have had to rebuild my layer list for each drawing that I do as opposed to being able to import a saved .LAS file. I have read the various forums in the community site and have had no success with the instructions. If there is something I am missing or doing wrong I would like some assistance to make my work easier and faster. I love the interface and intuitive structure of the AutoCAD for MAC version, and other than this issue I have an easy time with the application.

Thank you for any assistance

Robb

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost