AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD for MAC 2013 running slow

60 REPLIES 60
Message 1 of 61
JohnRennie
9662 Views, 60 Replies

AutoCAD for MAC 2013 running slow

Is anyone else's 2013 running like a dog?

It seems to park itself for a few seconds in between commands (especially zooming or panning) and I get my spinning disc symobol on the screen while it sorts itself out.

It was like a slow server connection, but I tried working direct off my hard disk and it was just the same.

I've reverted back to 2012 meantime, but it would be interesting to see if anyone else has issues.

The mac I'm running is fairly hi spec (iMac Intel Core i7 + 12MB RAM)

60 REPLIES 60
Message 41 of 61
grizzler
in reply to: JohnRennie

Hey guys, I have been running into this problem as well, but on the PC version (2013LT).  We are running Win7 Pro on 27" iMac, utilizing the Boot Camp utility.  I realize this thread is related to Cad for Mac OS, but @wei503, is there any corralation to the "memory leak" and Boot Camp?  Or is this a ACAD for Mac only thing?

Thanks.

Message 42 of 61
wei503
in reply to: grizzler

Hi, The issue discussed here is a AutoCAD for Mac only thing. You can post your issues about AutoCAD 2013 for WIndows here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013/bd-p/706

Thanks,
Wei

Wei Ma
AutoCAD for Mac QA Manager

Message 43 of 61
grizzler
in reply to: wei503

Thanks Wei, I posted a simlar question to the PC forum, but was directed here.

It's unfortuately a grey area b/c we are running AutoCadLT for Windows, but on a Mac.  So this should be a Window's question.  But due to the Boot Camp utility, I feel it potentially involves both systems.

We have tried numerous fixes, with some limited luck last night, but it is back to being fussy again this morning.  I would love to hear from anybody that has run into this issue, or seen fixes that are productive.

Message 44 of 61
deenzy1

Ok my 1 month free trial is over and there is no way I can purchase in its current form.

To recap, I am using a brand new 27" imac and was using a trial of Autocad LT 2013. I had updated to the latest version.

I couldn't isolate the lag which ranged from a short delay to absolutely huge infuriating ones of over a minute or 2 with the spinning circle, to any one particular command and it happened on old drawings and also brand new ones started from scratch with 2013.

If Autodesk can sort this problems out I will give it another go but until then I am not spending £1,200 

I will check back here from time to time to see if any progress has been made but until then it is back to using  2000 on my old PC

Message 45 of 61
jadesmyth

hi using autocad 2013 on macbook pro running 10.7.5 having the sunning slow problem as reading the forum i noticed u can update with sp1 to address this issue but when i check for up dates its not there is this because im a student using a student copy from the autodesk website ??? i need to fix this problem to carry on with my corse work

Message 46 of 61
HawkAIA
in reply to: grizzler
Message 47 of 61
marcoton

I am running out of my patient right now. I have a drawing here with many references. And AutoCAD 2013 Mac get really really slowly. My CPU (1 core?) is running 100% and stocks there. i think this is the problem. Is AutoCAD running on 1 core? On a windows machine the drawing is heavy but fa away not that slow.

Hardware is: 2.3Ghz i7, 16Gb Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB (2012)

Software: 10.8.3, AutoCAD 2013 Mac

Pleasse help me it's driving me crazy.

Message 48 of 61
maxim_k

Hi,
What does it mean "get really slow"? How does it gets slow? On zoom and pan operations? On object creation? On object edit? On object selection?
Could you clarify?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 49 of 61
carl.bailey

Hi,
What does it mean "get really slow"? How does it gets slow? On zoom and pan
operations? On object creation? On object edit? On object selection?
Could you clarify?

Maxim

Maxim,

I had a AutoCAD 2013 version for Mac on 30 day trial. It was unusable on a
mac book air so I never bothered to purchase. It seemed to hang on for a
few seconds on every command. My mac book air was virtually brand new at
the time. I persisted for a week and then gave up. I got around the
problem by installing parallels and using my old PC version of LT2007. For
the amount of drawing I do it is all I require.

Carl Bailey
Mobile: +0409 131 542
Email: carl.bailey@bigpond.com
Message 50 of 61
maxim_k
in reply to: carl.bailey

Hi Carl,

I already made some investigations about AC for Mac slowing down when using Xrefs, you can read about this here, in this topic. Pay special attention to posts from #21:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac/AutoCAD-for-MAC-2013-running-slow/m-p/3463102#M4401

to #28:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac/AutoCAD-for-MAC-2013-running-slow/m-p/3481670#M4477

Could it be so, that in there are some proxy objects (objects, created with some third-parity applications, that runs inside AutoCAD) as you wrote that external references come from PC side?

If so, that could be the main reason for slowing down AC for Mac with such files.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 51 of 61
marcoton
in reply to: maxim_k

I have the same problem by each command as Carl.

I read that post, but how can i see if there are proxy objects inside the drawing? And I read that the working on it in june 2012 it's now april 2013 so I am wondering where is the update?

I get far away the most drawings from other company's in the projectteam so I don't really know which program they use and how they drawing it. I know it's various from Sketchup to Autocad, Bricsys, Draftsight etc. But I know that we pay a lot for AutoCAD and it should be working for me.

But back to the problem. I will try the explodeallproxy today I hope that is working out for me. Thanks!

But I think the problem is also that AutoCAD running on 1 core of the processor. If this 100% the problems begins in AutoCAD Mac.

Message 52 of 61
marcoton
in reply to: marcoton

I try to load the ARX but it can't in de mac version. I was hoping it isn't windows only...

Message 53 of 61
maxim_k
in reply to: marcoton

@marcoton wrote:

I have the same problem by each command as Carl.

I read that post, but how can i see if there are proxy objects inside the drawing?

You can recognize the presence of PROXY objects in the drawing with a help of this alert message:

Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 16.40.57.png

which appears when you open DWG with proxy objects.

One note: there is one more condition - the message shows if you didn't check-mark "Remember my choice" previously. You can check this by looking the contents of ~/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/roaming/AutoCAD 2013/R19.0/enu/Support/Profile.aws file. It shouldn't include these strings:

<AcApData>
   <HideableTaskDialogs>
    <HideableTaskDialog title="Unsupported Objects" category="" id="AutoCAD.UnsupportedObjects" application="" result="1001"/>
   </HideableTaskDialogs>
  </AcApData>

There should be only:

<AcApData/>

in place of them.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 54 of 61
marcoton

I can remember that message. I have chosen do not show unsopprted objects. I tried the solutions you gave but is doesn't work out for me. I have heard from colleagues they have the same issues in AutoCAD 2013 for Windows.

The best workarround in this case is working with the beta version of Draftsight. I love to work with AutoCAD but it doesn't work. If you have more solutions please let me know.

Message 55 of 61
maxim_k

" I tried the solutions you gave but is doesn't work out for me"
Which solutions do you mean?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 56 of 61
marcoton

ExplodeAllProxy + RemoveAllProxy ARX application from Alexandr Rivilis mention in post 21 till 28. But if I right when I saying there is no solution?
Message 57 of 61
maxim_k

Yes, this solution works only in AC for Windows.
So if the case of delays are in attached references with proxy objects - there is no solution at the moment.
I thought that you can also check your files for large amount of Layer filters (groups). If you have a lot of them in DWG, this also could slow down AutoCAD.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 58 of 61
HawkAIA

The service pack definitely improves performance for this issue.  In my experience, installing the latest SP will make a much bigger difference than purging out old proxies.

Message 59 of 61
AleksMomic
in reply to: HawkAIA

I have the same problem. I am on the AutoCAD 2014 trial and I was considering buying it, but I can't spend so much money and sit for days to draw a simple one hour file. Have you got a fix for it or is fault that will keep coming. I tried all wblock, audit, purge, detach all xrefs and is not getting better. Please help me as I have deadline....

Message 60 of 61
wepaskerian
in reply to: AleksMomic

Autocad for Mac 2012 runs much better but I am not sure you can still get it. I find running PC version with Parallels is much much better.

Eric Paskerian

WEP Engineering & Consulting Co. LLC
26 Sandra Ln
Reading, MA 01867

P (978) 662 1655
F (978) 662 3212

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost