AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2014will not open when .dwg file is double-clicked in Finder

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
simon.moakes
4380 Views, 9 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2014will not open when .dwg file is double-clicked in Finder

I wonder if anybody else out there is having this problem.

I use a Mac and have recently updated the OS to Mavericks and also installed AutoCAD LT 2014 (Mac).

I can open and use AutoCAD LT 14 okay and can open drawings via the application or by double-clicking on a .dwg icon in Finder. But when AutoCAD LT 2014 has quit and is not running in the background I cannot open the application by double-clicking on a .dwg icon in Finder. I can only open AutoCAD LT 2014 using the dock shortcut icon. Once open, I can then open .dwg files any way I like.

It's a little annoying that you can't open the application by double-clicking on a .dwg file.

Is this a glitch or does anybody have a workaround to fix it?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
maxim_k
in reply to: simon.moakes

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!
Hi,
This could be a glitch (defect), but I'm not absolutely sure, because I can not test this on Mavericks, as I don't upgrade.
What if AutoCAD is not running, and you right click on DWG in Finder.and select "Open with". Which application is on the top? Are AutoCAD LT in the list?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 10
simon.moakes
in reply to: maxim_k

If I right click on the .dwg file in Finder and click 'open', nothing happens.

If I right click on the .dwg file in Finder and click 'open with - AutoCAD LT 2014 (default)' it opens fine.

AutoCAD LT 2014 is set as the default application to open .dwg files, so it is a mystery as to why it won't open the application by double clicking a .dwg file.

Message 4 of 10
maxim_k

If the other applications (have you tried such launching method with other apps?) than this could be a defect.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 10
simon.moakes

The .dwg file will open in Illustrator via Finder no problem, as long as the .dwg file is saved in an earlier version of AutoCAD, e.g. 2007 format. The latest 2013 version files are not compatable with Illustrator as yet.

Therefore it appears to be a problem between OS Mavericks and AutoCAD, as I have now tried to set the default application to AutoCAD LT 2014 and also reverting back to AutoCAD LT 2013: both AutoCAD applications have problems opening when double clicking on a .dwg file in Finder.

Hopefully a patch will become available soon whether via Apple or AutoDesk.

Message 6 of 10
simon.moakes

Not exactly a solution to the problem, but I have discovered that this is linked with AutoDesk 360: the little icon that appears next to your clock at the top of the desktop. Click on the icon and sign in to 360, then click on the 360 icon again and select 'settings' and turn off the option to 'load at startup', then sign out of 360. Restart your computer. You will notice the icon does not load and your .dwg files will now open in Finder.

For a little icon, it sure causes a lot of problems!

Message 7 of 10
MILESarch

Just exiting the status bar icon without logging in will result in the same effect.  However, unless you log in and change the settings as Simon has indicated, when you restart your Mac you will have to exit out of it again. 

Message 8 of 10
maxim_k

@MILESarch:
Hi,
Yes, you are right - closing Autodesk 360 application allows to use double-click in Finder to open DWG in AC.
You can also remove Autodesk 360 from login items in Mac OS System preferences in order to prevent launching it on each login (startup).

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 10
wei503

This issue is fixed in the latest update for Autodesk 360 for Mac. You should get the update notification for Autodesk 360, and be able to download and install this update. You can also download and install the update from page below: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=22813992&linkID=15839491 Thanks, Wei

Wei Ma
AutoCAD for Mac QA Manager

Message 10 of 10
maxim_k
in reply to: wei503

Hi Wei,

I installed an update (got notification) and now double-click on DWG file in Finder starts AutoCAD and opens DWG file. Thanks for update.
Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost