AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2014 for Mac causes graphic problems with Mavericks

37 REPLIES 37
Message 1 of 38
asp65
5372 Views, 37 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2014 for Mac causes graphic problems with Mavericks

Dear All-

After spending hours and hours in the Apple store with the technicians, spending hours and hours in clean installing and reinstalling, I'm quite sure, that the installed Autocad LT 2014 for Mac causes the graphic problems with my MacBookPro Retina and Mavericks 10.9.1.

It's flikcering and jiggling. Not only within the Autocad application. The complete Mac system is affected.

When I scroll with Safari, Mail, Finder or whatever, flickering. When I move Finder windows on the screen, flickering.

Sometimes, when I move an attachment from the Finder directly into Mail the file is permanetly connected to the hand of the mouse and the Finder is no more working. All other applications still work, but the Finder is crashed. Then I have to shut down and restart the system. This I guess is one of the plenty Mavericks bugs, but maybe might be also affected by Autocad.

Any help?

Does the "Adaptive Degradation" in the preferences causes any effect? I couldn't see any dfifference.

By the way, when I disable "Adaptive Degradation" and close Autocad, it's again enabled when I restard Autocad.

Thank you

Andreas

37 REPLIES 37
Message 2 of 38
maxim_k
in reply to: asp65

Hi Andreas,

Actually it is knowing issue with AutoCAD for Mac on some Mac machines (not all systems). Personally I never saw this on my Mac (non Retina).
Do you have this issue when AutoCAD running on your system? What if you quit AutoCAD (CMD+Q) and restart your Mac? Do you see this issue?
What Mac model do you own? Does your Mac have two Graphics cards?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 38
mg.studio

The same problem to me! On MacBook Pro Retina AutoCAD 2014 for Mac causes graphic glitches! Only clean reinstallation helps! The problem is with the internal Intel graphic card! If the external graphic card is activated there is no problem with graphic. But by default AutoCAD 2014 do not switches to external graphic card so it causes great glitches!

Message 4 of 38
maxim_k
in reply to: mg.studio

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

What if you turn off "Automatic graphics switching" in Energy Saver pane of Mac OS System preferences. Than your Mac always will use "external" (dedicated) graphics card.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 38
mg.studio

I have already did it after reinstallation and understanding the reason of the issue! But there must be an official fix from Autodesk! And I do not want to switch it every tume I launch AutoCAD. One day I may simply forget to switch it and the reinstallation would be necessary!
Message 6 of 38
spammievdploeg
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi, I don't know how much this is something you can fix, as it looks like it is rather a bug in Mavericks than in Autodesk. Of course I can switch off Automatic Graphics Switching, but it is a very useful feature in OSX. I wish the actual bug would be fixed rather than requiring me to give some functionality of my computer. I hope that you have contacted Apple by now. I'm pretty sure that this is something neither of you can work out without the other. Thanks
Message 7 of 38
maxim_k

Hi,

I also had such case once (graphics glitches after I run AutoCAD on Mavericks), but this was not on Retina MacBook - it was on Mac Pro which has only one dedicated graphics card and no integrated graphics card.
Have to say that the problem was solved in another way than reinstallation. I noticed that the glitches appeared after AutoCAD crash. After I started AutoCAD once again and quit it in normal way without crash, the problem with graphics glitches gone away.
So it seems that switching to another graphics card is only "another way" for fixing this problem. In fact the glitches could appear after AutoCAD crashes on Mavericks. And in order to get rid of this glitches you only need to start AutoCAD again with new empty drawing and than quit AutoCAD without crash (using AutoCAD -> Quit AutoCAD menu, or with Cmd+Q keyboard shortcut).

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 38
igortxo

I have exactly the same problem with my rMBP 15" Late 2013. I have partially solved it after a new motherboard got installed, so the issue appear now in the way asp65 related. Very annoyed with the experience, after 2 months dealing with system failures, finder crash, unable to surf the web, exposé not working. Now I am back with AutoCad 2014 running in Windows through Parallels but after 4 years using Mac this is NOT what i want. I have tried with my old MBAir mid 2011 and with only 2 GB (the rMBPro has 16 GB) can managed properly the latest version.

Message 9 of 38
alpha04024

I have had this same issue in my retina. I actually went many times to the apple store to fix this issue thinking it was a hardware problem. I am quite relieved to know that this may be caused by my old friend autocad all along.

Do you know if autocad 2013 caused the same problem? Is there any save way to use Autocad on mac?

Message 10 of 38
igortxo
in reply to: alpha04024

Watching the differences between the Mac 2014 version vs AutoCad 2015 i have switched to parallels with Windows 8.1. http://www.autodesk.es/products/autodesk-autocad/compare/compare-platforms

The recents updates, both in OS X and AutoCad 2014 for Mac haven´t resolve the issue ( I am actually using OS X Yosemite Beta 1) without any variation.

Message 11 of 38
alpha04024
in reply to: igortxo

Did the problem persisted even with a clean install of Yosemite or did you updated the OS? I am not sure if being an issue of autocad yosemita can do much about it but it would be awesome if it did.

Do you get good performance with parallels? I tried it couple of years ago and didn't quite like it

Thanks!

Message 12 of 38
maxim_k

But who said that AutoCAD 2014 for Mac is (or should be) compatible with Yosemite Developer preview?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 13 of 38
alpha04024

No one really, all that I'm saying is that since it's a new OS it may solve the issue we are talking about here.
Since the latest patches of autocad 2014 doesn't solve it in Mavericks I'll take any solution, whether it comes from the OS or autodesk.
Message 14 of 38
maxim_k

You are rush things: Yosemite is full of graphics glitches itself for now.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 15 of 38
alpha04024

I don't think you understand my problem.
I am not using Yosemite or plan to do it until its release. I just want to be able to use Autocad 2014 without my Macbook pro retina (with Mavericks) going crazy with glitches. As simple as that.
Message 16 of 38
maxim_k

Yes, I understand you.
But strange thing - it appears that such issues with graphics glitches appears only on Retina Macbook and only on 15" model which has Iris Pro or Iris Pro + NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M graphics cards. Which model do you have?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 17 of 38
alpha04024

I have the first model of the retina. 15" with Intel and nvidia card. Not the newer iris version.
Message 18 of 38
spammievdploeg

I got the generation before that. Nvidia GeForce 650M and Intel HD Graphics 4000. Launched in Febraury 2013.
Message 19 of 38
maxim_k

Seems I have MacBook with the same graphics cards as you: Intel HD 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1 Gb. But my Mac is not Retina - it is HiRes model of MacBook mid 2012.
I never had graphics issues on my Mac with AutoCAD.
Maybe the case is in Retina display, which gives too heavily load on the graphics card which was not designed for Retina?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 20 of 38
sbordage76

Hey. 

I have the same problem... The 2014 lt version is going to kill my mac. 

I own a 2009 mac pro with an ATI radeon 7950 and osx 10.9.3.

When i lauch acad, a large part of apps seems to get down (reader, mail, safari, and maybe others).

For example, it is impossible to drop a file in a sending mail window, or sometimes just droping a file from a folder to another is too painfully. The mouse pointer disapears and takes the aparence of the file i want to displace.

I was planning to buy this software but gosh, i really don't know what i have to do; your team have to isolate the problem quickly.

Unfortunatly, i don't have crash report to send, but i am happy to see that i am not the only one to suffer with this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost