AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2013 - Mac & Mountain Lion

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
enquires
1429 Views, 10 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2013 - Mac & Mountain Lion

General question for discussion, looking to purchase AutoCAD LT 2013 for the Mac and have downloaded the trail version.

All at present seems well and working, no crashes, or problems and I can work around the user interface differences when compared to the windows version Smiley Very Happy, but my discussion point relates to the fact that this version is not supported by AutoDesk yet on mountain lion which is what I have on my iMac.

Is it worth the risk to purchase bearing in mind that it is not supported ( as I now need a package because I've gone freelance!!) or should I want until the new release, bearing in mind that the rebate in the UK ends October 29th.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
maxim_k
in reply to: enquires

Hi enquires,

I think that nobody from Atodesk will answer your question, but as 2013 release is latest release of AutoCAD LT for present time - it should be updated to be fully compatible with Mountain Lion. The only question is WHEN.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 11
enquires
in reply to: maxim_k

Good day Maxim_k,

I wasnt really expecting anybody form Autodesk to reply, lol, I was hoping for more of a general feel from the discussion groups.

I've seen the new posting for the beta patch, but for some reason cannot find it on the page for the beta testing? After singing in?

At present the trail version I have appears stable and I have not seem any problems yet??? but I am not aware of problems associated with Mountain Lion.

What are they?

Message 4 of 11
maxim_k

@enquires wrote:

Good day Maxim_k,

I've seen the new posting for the beta patch, but for some reason cannot find it on the page for the beta testing? After singing in?

At present the trail version I have appears stable and I have not seem any problems yet??? but I am not aware of problems associated with Mountain Lion.

What are they?

About Beta testing - usually there is no "public" beta testing for AutoCAD LT (Windows or Mac), for now Beta testing for AC for Mac 2013 is in progress (you can see an Opportunity link for testing here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=20109560&linkID=15839490 ). And I'm sure, that SP will be released for both full and LT versions at the same time.

About problems with AutoCAD on ML - I can not say anything, because I still have 10.7.4 (and 10.6.8 in the office) on my Mac.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 11
mmany

I'm not using LT, I'm using 2013 on the Mac, but my experience is ok for now.  At times the top right corner of the autoCAD window goes black, and the only fix is to restart it.  Also, constraints do not work at all.  You need to turn off implied constraints.  These aren't big issues for me, the other problems I'm having seem to be more or less endemic to AutoCAD for Mac across OS versions, things Autodesk just haven't gotten around to making functional in AutoCAD for Mac... like printing anything.

Message 6 of 11
enquires
in reply to: mmany

Good day mmany,

Not too sure about the constraints, but with regard to the printing all seems ok to me. I utilise a PDF print driver thats allows me to set the pages to which size I need, normally A1 and then print. This little peice of software fools Mac OS into thinking its another printer, and so far I've not had any issues printing.

What I do find slightly strange is that Autodesk still do not appear to have released a patch for the new OS, it almost seems like they are not really too bothered???, which is a real shame, speaking as somebody thats looking to purchase the LT version it does make me wonder as to the long term viability of the product???

Message 7 of 11
David_Stacey

Hi enquires

What PDF printer driver do you use on the Mac?
Message 8 of 11
enquires
in reply to: David_Stacey

I've downloaded a PDF printer driver called Lisanet PDF Printer from Source Forge. This installs a PDF ghost printer within the print & scan section of OS X and effectivly allows you to print and set pages sizes. Worked well for me so far.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfwriterformac/

Message 9 of 11
maxim_k

Hi enquires,

Thanks for sharing the information about "virtual" PDF printer driver.

I have tested it and in general it works, but I noticed that the quality of PDF output is rather bad with this printer (Lisanet PDF Printer), than with the Gutenprint driver, which I use daily for printing (saving to PDF) from AutoCAD.

You can compare the results:

1. Fragment of PFD file produced with HP DesignJet 450 - Gutenprint v5.2.3:

Screen Shot 2012-09-29 at 18.40.33.png

2. And the same fragment with Lisanet PDF Printer:

Screen Shot 2012-09-29 at 18.40.22.png

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 11
enquires
in reply to: maxim_k

Many thanks Maxim_k, not had chance yet to look into the PDF virtural printer yet, still getting us to the new format of 2013 on the MAC.

I have found though that I can print an A1 as a PDF using the CAD in system PDF option, I would assume that the quality is as good?

Message 11 of 11
maxim_k

I haven't tried printing to PDF from AutoCAD without any system printer installed, though it is possible AIAIK. But maybe the quality would be acceptable.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost