AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2013 Mac Render

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
marriottjason
13835 Views, 15 Replies

AutoCAD 2013 Mac Render

Hi - While AutoCAD 2013 is good for 2D work I have found it is missing considerable 3d Render Features. Can someone help with:

a. How do you setup your geographic location?

b. How do you control cameras?

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Hi,

First let me say that I'm not using AutoCAD for Mac (there is a special forum for that >>>here<<<), so I'm not sure that all these 3D commands exist also on the Mac-version.

>> How do you setup your geographic location?

Command _GEOGRAPHICLOCATION (>>>details<<<)

>> How do you control cameras?

Create a camera, using command _CAMERA and then modify it's properties and position (>>>details<<<).

I'm not sure if that are the answers you were looking for, if not please give us more info about what details you want to get more (detailed) information.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 16

Thanks for your reply - your 100% right with your response for a Windows based OS. But for a Mac OSX all the normal commands from the render tab plus others are missing. I have just spent 2 days trying to research how to change the render background in Autocad 2013 Mac to no avail. Seems the 3d render functionality is mush more reduced when compared to the windows based Autocad.

Message 4 of 16
maxim_k
in reply to: marriottjason

Hi,

Yes you are partly right about rendering features of AutoCAD for Mac.

Indeed, you can not change rendering background without some AutoLISP tricks (answered here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac/how-do-you-change-the-background-color-in-a-render/m-p... ). Have to say, that I can add setting background image functionality to this routine, but there is a bug in AC for Mac, that prevents rendering with raster image set as background (AutoCAD for Mac crashes on such render job).

Also you are limited with Materials - you can use only predefined materials from Autodesk Material Library: you can not create your own materials and adjust mapping coordinates.

Now about geographic location - you can set it in Properties palette: when no object selected, on Current properties tab (all properties), scroll down until "Sun and sky", enable "Display sun light" and set Longitude and Latitude in appropriate input boxes:

Screen Shot 2012-12-17 at 9.18.22.png

About Cameras. Yes there is no CAMERA command in AC for Mac. And you can not change camera location "visually" as you can do in Windows version of AutoCAD. But you CAN create Cameras in AC for Mac, because Camera actually is custom Named view.

You can give "Camera1" ("Camera2", "Camera3"....) name to any custom perspective view in AC for Mac and if you will open this file in Windows version of AC, you will see Camera symbol, that corresponds to Camera view, that you created in Mac version.

To setup accurate Camera position in AC for Mac (exact coordinates of Target and Camera and lens length) you can use "old good" DVIEW command with POints, Distance and Zoom options.

Somewhere I have Lisp routine, that allows to automate this process.

HTH

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 16
marriottjason
in reply to: maxim_k

Excellent response thanks very much! Best Jason

Message 6 of 16
marriottjason

Hi Max

I cant open our blog is it possible for you to cut and paste your AutoLISP here?

Best Jason

Message 7 of 16
maxim_k

Sure, look for Lisp file in attachment.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 16
shelby5921

Hi maxim,I am a student using the free software for student.I downloaded autocad for mac and am now starting to experiment with rendering.I am studying to be a furniture designer/maker and am noticing the shortage of materials available.My question is can I download a specific rendering software that is compatible for my mac for free from autodesk or can you advise me if its easy to import new png.??? pdf.? jpeg? files that I can add to the materials browser?.Or perhapse any other sugestions you might have.Thanks in advance and I look forward to your response.

Message 9 of 16
maxim_k
in reply to: shelby5921

HI,

Unfortunately you can not add your own materials (or edit existing materials from Mat Library) in Mac version of AutoCAD.
As about additional rendering software with ability to add/edit custom materials - there are a lot of commercial rendering software for Mac around.
Or you are asking about free software?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 16
shelby5921

Hi Maxim,Thanxs for the quick response!.Bummer about no ptions within mac version.In response I supose yes free would be better as a student with nooooo money.Am I generaly aleways going to be limited by a student edition because it will not include all functions or is the mac compatability the bigger issue.I am forever hearing peoples opinions of other software being bettter,more intuative blah blah blah but i really like autocad.Should i have gone with a different version maybe 3ds max or inventor for better rendering? or even the dreaded in my opinion run parrallels and download windows versions?Sorry if i've rambled but I don't really want to learn another companies software when I've got so far.I appreciate whatever opinion or advice you can offer!!

Message 11 of 16
maxim_k

OK, if you want free solution and you are familiar a little bit with 3D Max, I can advice you to try Rhino for Mac.
This application is still in development stage, but registration for beta testing is free: each month you need to download new beta build and you can use it for free. Rhino can import DWG format directly, application workflow is rather simple and intuitive. You an create your own materials and render scenes in it:
http://www.rhino3d.com/mac

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 16
shelby5921
in reply to: shelby5921

Hi Maxim,A little bit surprised your recomending rhino but i understand the free reason behind it.I was thinking of maybe accurender.nXt as I hear that is quit good but I'm running 2014 autocad for mac and its not compatible!?.Forgive me but you didnt answer my question to would i be better with a windows/parrallels option for better options for rendering packages or after market software compatibility options.(I promise this is the last question).

Message 13 of 16
maxim_k

accurender.nXt is a plugin for PC version of AutoCAD and you can not use it on Mac.
About Parallels - I think it is up to you to decide which software to use for your needs. If your Mac is "strong" enough than you can run Windows on it inside virtual machine, but why to use Mac machine then?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 14 of 16
shelby5921

ok thxs,parallels was a last resort option.So I'll stick to mac and continue with my research options.

Message 15 of 16
jwd.ahmed

I Have AutoCAD Render toolbar but i have not appear in caméra tool anyone help me.

Message 16 of 16
maxim_k

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!
Hi,
You are using AutoCAD for Windows, and here is AutoCAD for Mac specific forum.
But anyway, here are two links to AC tutorials about Cameras in AutoCAD for Win:
2014:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xmE7UEiE1Nc
2010:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vGBBD30hT4Q

HTH

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost