AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2012 for MAC - display in Classic view??

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
huntjody
13055 Views, 18 Replies

AutoCAD 2012 for MAC - display in Classic view??

Hi,

Very new to AutoCAD. Using an educational version as i am studying yacht design at SOuthampton University.

They are teaching in AutoCAD 2010 on Windows - using classic workspace view/settings....... im spending most of my time locating the various tools on the mac copy....

Is there anyway i can set my MAC copy up to look like the 2010 classic view??? have looked through other posts but cant find anything suitable...

I have attached a screen shot of the style the university are using...trying to replicate this as much is possible??

Please help!!

Tags (3)
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
mathewkol
in reply to: huntjody

I would doubt it since the Mac version is very new. There is no Classic Mac look. The interface is very different as you know and that's just because it's a Mac;; it has to be.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 19
DarrenP

autocad for mac is completely different from the windows version

your probably going to be lost in your class

i suggest running windows through your mac and running autocad for windows on it

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 19
huntjody
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks gents, assumed that might be the case....oh to be a mac user?

i run parallels.... do you know if there would be a conflict if i was to download a second copy into the windows VM....would it cause issues with the mac copy?? would i have to uninstal the mac version?

i would like to get comfortable with the mac version but need  the education in windows to get me going i think...

Message 5 of 19
maxim_k

Hi,
You can use AutoCAD for Win inside virtual mashine without uninstalling AC for Mac, as it will run absolutely separate.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 6 of 19
huntjody
in reply to: maxim_k

great thanks again. am in there like swimwear....nice company! dishing out multiple copies of edu. software 🙂

looking forward to getting to know what its capable of!!

Message 7 of 19
d-web
in reply to: mathewkol

"Classic" on the Mac would be equivelant to the classic window on the PC. The interface on Mac's Autocad v13 had a very similar interface as that on the PC back then. They should be able to develop a similar interface between the two now.

Considering that the majority of Autocad for Mac users will probably be moving over from the PC platform, it would definately be beneificial for Autodesk to make the interfaces between the two platforms as similar as possible. As an example. the interfaces for Rhinoceros and Photoshop on the PC are very similar to the Mac versions. When there are cross platform projects, it's preferable for the people working on them be able to function no matter what type of machine they are working on.

Message 8 of 19
huntjody
in reply to: d-web

Couldnt agree more!

Although a new comer to the product, i have had to run it through Windows to make the most of the education i am being given. To have run it through Mac would have left me at a great disadvantage in my studies.

You would think that Acad would make it a requirement of people developing the program for different platforms to keep it similar so as not to isolate any customers.

Having said that....Apple are Apple and they like to do things differently! and to be fair some of the things they do hit the nail on the head in comparison to Microsoft!

so perhaps who are we to argue with the great minds at Apple??

Still...some consistency would be nice though 🙂

Message 9 of 19
d-web

While "Apple is Apple", Apple didn't develop the Autocad for Mac. Autodesk did.

Yes, apple has some different ways of doing things, however, most of what has been incorporated into Autocad UI is already based on Apple structure. It's just that they are trying to focus too much on the Mac aspect over the Autocad standard.

There are some Mac elements that would be definate imporovements over the Windows version. But they can be implemented within the standard Autocad UI.

All in all, their approach to the Mac platform was misguided and should be brought back in line with the Autocad UI that has pretty much been consistant since it's inception.

Message 10 of 19
huntjody
in reply to: d-web

I hadnt realised that it was developed by autodesk...

It does seem a starnge decision to potentially alienate users. It shouldnt be too difficult to create a "classic" or at least some "common" view that can be shared and/or disabled...

Message 11 of 19
dgorsman

UI styling is normally dictated by the tools provided by the OS developer, intended to speed development along, make it easier to find programmers with the necessary skills, and to help ensure consistency between applications from different developers.  If the provided UI interface isn't used then the developer is responsible for creating and maintaining that UI system, which represents a significant drain on development resources both now and on future releases.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 12 of 19
brian.lamoreaux

is it confirmed that there is NO CLASSIC VIEW for 2012 AutoCAD for Mac??

If so, no bueno.  I'll need to sell my 2012 for Mac and go back to Windows vesion using Parallels.  I don;t have time to learn a new program (again).

to AutoDesk:

Why on Earth would resources go into other new features and "improvements", and you TAKE AWAY something universal that SO MANY rely on: the tried and true look and feel of good old Classic View?

if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it ! !

Go ahead and make improvements, but don't change the way CAD looks & functions, because it sets so many of us BACK. 

Message 13 of 19
David_Stacey

AutoCAD for Mac only has a single "view". There is no "classic" view.
Did you not use the trial before buying the Mac version of AutoCAD?
The differences aren't that complicated to work out. The Mac version doesn't have the ribbon because that is a Windows UI feature and isn't the "Mac way".
AutoCAD for Mac is actually a completely separate product so I don't think Autodesk can be blamed for adopting the Mac UI principles.
Message 14 of 19
d-web
in reply to: dgorsman

My impression ist that Autodesk it trying to create a "Mac-like" interface. Unfortunately, as most users that will be using the Mac version will be moving from the Windows/PC version and will prefer that the interface be the same as the PC version so that it doesn't matter what platform they are working on. 

While there may be some Mac elements that might be beneficial, I believe that they are making a BIG mistake deviating any more than slightly from the PC UI. 

Back when Autocad 12 was on the Mac, it was pretty much identical to the PC version. As was mentioned earlier, other applications (Phoitoshop, Rhino, etc) have kept their UI pretty close between platforms, making it easier for users to work on whatever plateform that might be handy. 

I have been pretty pointed to Autodesk (including their CEO at a recent meeting) that I feel their Mac attempt has been far from adequate. Being that, after learning Autocad on an old DOS 8086 machine, I've been on Mac's for over 20 years since then, I would say that Autodesk should NOT try and make the Autocad UI be Mac-like at the expense of the users who most likely will be coming from the PC.

In other words, they need to go back and rework what they have done to bring it to as close to the PC version as possible.

Message 15 of 19
brian.lamoreaux

Thanks for the info.  I wish I had tried the trial version first. Unfortunately my old Mac, where I used Parallels and AutoCAD 2007, was not able to run the new Mac version.  The machine was on its way out and my new Mac had not arrived yet. I had to make a quick transition to keep my projects going.  I just dont have time to learn a new UI - I want to get stuff done and move on. Call me an old dog (though I don;t think as old as some of those commenting 😉 - I learned on AutoCAD 2000   ). If I had my way, CAD would essentially be the same as 2000 or 2010.  Nearly all of the things they've added since that time I have not found a use for.  I know they put a lot of resouce toward development, I'd just hope they would simply make it more intuitive, and less complex.  And certainly not chage the UI.  I don;t use the ribbon views.  I just like Classic. I don;t think I do too many fancy things (3D, ultra complex drawings) with CAD based on what I see in the industry - just construction details, electrical drawings, site plans, etc.  I agree with the last comment, that AutoDesk is overlooking and probably losing a lot of valuable customers branching out with their new Mac version, rather than making is seemless with older PC versions.

Message 16 of 19
d-web
in reply to: brian.lamoreaux

I agree with you concerning the classic Autocad UI. Moving to Autocad 2012 was frustrating as they eliminated several elements I bacame very familiar with like the Sceen Menu on the right. I finally created a Toolbar version of it so that I could still access those tools I used so frequently from the loaction I was familiar with.

Learning to create your own toolbars and menus can be a big help if you want to maintain a (somewhat) familiar UI. Of course, doing so means having to keep a copy of your CUI with you and be able to access it from whatever platform you may be using at the time. At times, I have gotten lost when using the generic Autocad UI on other machines.

Message 17 of 19
brian.lamoreaux
in reply to: dgorsman

Does anyone know if you can have more than one Tool Set (tool pallate) open at a time in AutoCAD 2012 for Mac?  I only see that you can toggle between different Tool Sets, but I like having access to multiple tools (more than will fit on the side of my screen).   Again, in Classic View, I could have dimension and layer tools across the top, and drafting tools along the side.    Hopefully I'm missing something here.   Seems like there would be no advantage to limiting the user to just one tool bar.   thanks in advance. 

Message 18 of 19
GDG1952

Hi, I am looking for the paste special command

on the MAC AClt13, `I want to import a spread sheet.

would appreciate someones help PLEASE

gordon

Message 19 of 19
gregory

Not sure how you end up asking this question in this discussion but here is your answer:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac/MIA-in-AutoCAD-Mac-2013/td-p/3789915

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost