AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2011 for Mac system requirements

113 REPLIES 113
Message 1 of 114
tom.stoeckel
25094 Views, 113 Replies

AutoCAD 2011 for Mac system requirements

Here is a solution about the system requirements for AutoCAD 2011 for Mac as well as how to determine the model of your Mac:

System Requirements for AutoCAD for Mac

Tom Stoeckel
Content Manager
Strategic Content & Community
Autodesk, Inc.
113 REPLIES 113
Message 61 of 114
rcoggins
in reply to: rcoggins

Somebody help me I'm dyin heeyuh.....

Message 62 of 114
rcoggins
in reply to: pheyser

Have you done a disk utility permissions

Message 63 of 114
rcoggins

Repair em if ya got em

Message 64 of 114
pheyser

Repaired both disk permissions and the disk filesystem itself two days ago.  Also used Onyx to run all the daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance scripts, and cleared all the caches and logs.

Message 65 of 114
rcoggins

You have booted a different kernel do permissions again apease me

Message 66 of 114
pheyser

Does AutoCAD require 64-bit kernel?  As far as I know, it requires a 64-bit processor, but it doesn't say in the system requirement that 64-bit kernel is needed.  Most if not all Core 2 Duo are 64-bit processors.

AutoCAD supports both Leopard and Snow Leopard.  With Snow Leopard, while most recent macs are capable of booting into 64-bit kernel, all except Xserve defaults to 32-bit kernel on boot.  With Leopard, unless I'm mistaken, runs both 32-bit and 64-bit applications, but the kernel itself is still 32-bit.

Message 67 of 114
ziuuu

hello! i have a macbook4.1. is there anything I can do to install autocad or should I buy a new laptop?

Message 68 of 114
w4rholmes
in reply to: tegin

I have the same Mac and with Snow Leopard I get the start up screen then nothing...Acad 2011 Mac want START!

But when I take an External HD with Leopard and use that drive as the startup disk with acad 2010 Mac loaded...it runs with out flaw....only difference was the operating system.

Message 69 of 114
simoarchi
in reply to: tom.stoeckel

Hi,

I have a macbook pro 6.1!

Autocad works only in 2d.

In 3D creates but does not change. does not work!

The beta version worked!

Waiting for news!

Thanks

Simone
Message 70 of 114
Ramothe
in reply to: simoarchi

Hello,

I have a macbook 6,1 from later 2009, and I can't run the autocad for mac setup to the end. Is this a known problem? No matter what I try, I can't setup the software. I hope you will be able to help me. Thank you in advance!

Message 71 of 114
sheklun

I have the same problem with activistarchitect, he described his problems and struggles detailly.

no staff here can response to him??

I am using macbookpro 5,1

Message 72 of 114
naplesdznr

I seem to be in the same boat as sheklun, pheyser, and activistarchitect. 

I have a MacBook Pro5.3 with an nVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card. I have updated OSX, Java, uninstalled/reinstalled, rebooted, repaired disk utility permissions, changed to 64 bit kernel.....

......and STILL all I get is the bouncing icon in the dock, the splash screen says loading and then everything quits.

What really stumps me is that it downloaded and opened seamlessly on my iMac7.1. Both are running the same version of OSX.

What am I missing? Any suggestions?

Message 73 of 114
pheyser
in reply to: sheklun

So my harddrive crashed the other day and had to re-installed Mac OS X. I had a time-machine backup but I figured I'd just go ahead and start from scratch.  I just downloaded AutoCAD again yesterday and installed it.  Managed to get it all the way through the activation.  It's working now.  I still don't know what the problem was.

Message 74 of 114
DanClark66

Thanks to all on this message board.

I have just purchased a MacBook Pro 13" model MC374LL/A.  

--mcb 7.1,

--2.4 GHz,

--4GB-RAM,

--250GB HD,

--OS X 10.6.5

I originally started downloading the trial version using the Download Manager, Akamai; however, after reading the posts here, I decided to stop the installation and I followed the link provided on here to "Uninstall Akamai". After succesfully uninstalling Akamai, I went back to the "Begin Free Product Trial Download" Page, but this time I chose the option:

GET THE TRIAL WITHOUT DOWNLOAD MANAGER.

It downloaded flawlessly. (Note: I had not enabled the 64 kernel option).

I was able to activate the trial software and it starts up fine on my computer.

By using the alternative Download option, I was able to keep Akamai OFF my computer.

My next step is to upgrade my system RAM from 4GB to the max 8GB.

Thank you to every contributor on this message board.Smiley Happy

Message 75 of 114

I just did what DanClark66 did, and it didnt work. 😞

Here's what I just did:

-uninstall akamai(by choosing it in the 'spotlight')

-uninstall autocad

-restart computer(for good luck!) NOT booting into the 64bit kernel

-install autocad from the DMG file that you can download.

same problem of splash screen hanging and then going blank.

still not sure what it is.

15" macbook pro unibody

intel corei7

2.66Ghz

8GB RAM

500MB HD

Macbook pro 2.66Mhz, Intel i7, bootcamp, Windows 7
Message 76 of 114

ActivistArchitect,

I noticed one of your posts back in October stated you were using OS X 10.6.4 at that time.

I had just updated to OS X 10.6.5 prior to downloading AutoCAD.

To uninstall Akamai, I followed the link provided by D-Web:

http://www.akamai.com/html/misc/akamai_client/dlmv3_faq.html

"Macintosh Uninstall
The simplest and preferred method is to use the Finder to go to the NetSession Interface installation folder, which is normally /Applications/Akamai/, then double-click the uninstaller app. Confirm your decision."

Good luck.

Message 77 of 114
Robson_civil

Just to report my experience.  I am a student taking civil engineering and downloaded the student licence of AutoCAD for mac on my MacBook Pro 2.2  2.16GHz machine, with 3GB RAM, and initially had issues with glitchy graphics.  I was running OSX 10.5, so I uninstalled the software, and upgraded to 10.6.3 and reinstalled AutoCAD.  I have had no issues since (4 days)  but can't say that I've worked it very hard, or tried to plot anything.  But all signs point towards trouble free operation.  Again, this is a 3+ yr old 2nd gen MBP with 2.16 GHz core 2 duo  3GB RAM and OSX 10.6.3    perhaps not the fastest machine, but seems to be running the software okay. 

Message 78 of 114
mxmoore

I gotta tell ya - I'm PISSED....I was an ACAD GOLD beta site - for 4 months I devoted myself and all my projects to AutoCAD for MAC. And not without some fearful crashes, problems, etc.....then finally, the latest Sledgehammer release came out - I went through the de-install and installation and BOOM! Neither of my Macs (a MacPro 64 bit w/6Gb RAM or my MacBook Pro) were 'qualified' to have ACAD/MAC installed on them.....

So - I then bought a full version thinking that a release version would be more pliable - it was......and Iinstalled, and am running with few problems.

However the 1st Update is now out, and reading it carefully prior to downloading it I find the same CRAP! If I install, I won't be able to run.....how RIDICULOUS!

I have been an AutoCAD user since ver 1.4 - that's over 25 years of faithful loyalty.......and now, that finally, it is available for MAC, Autodesk raises the bar to a STUPID level.......I will continue to use the current install - as best I can.......when it is finally impossible to continue I'll abandon AutoCAD and move over to ArchiCAD - where such nonsense indifference does not exist.

RIDICULOUS! 

Message 79 of 114
andresw

Dear Tom

I have had several problems with AutoCad for Mac.

I've bought and installed in both my Mac Book Pro and my i Mac, and in both computers is unstable, crashes all the time. I can't work on it.

For example, yesterday I've tried to work in my iMac and I couldn't. It crashed at least 5 times in 10 minutes. Since I updated AutoCad it turned even more unstable.

Today I worked in my Mac Book Pro, and the problem was the same: In 10 minutes, it chrashed about 10 times, and all of them with no action related, I mean, I did nothing extraordinary... I was using the line command, or zoom command... 

Those were just a few examples, because this problem has been happening since I installed the program about 3 months ago.

I checked the system requirements and both computers are capable to work with AutoCad for Mac.

My MacBook Pro is a 5,4, has a 2.53 Intel Core 2 Duo Precessor, 4gb memory. I don't remember my iMac specs, but it has enough cap.

I've changed the system language (since I read that maybe this should work to fix the problem...)

The point is AutoCad is up to date, my Macs are almost new (macbook pro is 1 year, imac is 2 months old)

I'll appreciate if you can help me how can I fix this big problem. 

Andrew

Message 80 of 114
KIrons

In Response to Robson_civil,

That's great news!  I've got a MBP 2,2,  Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.33GHz machine, with 4GB RAM and still on a OSX 10.4.11.  Thinking about upgrading to 10.6.5 (it's definitely time) and testing out the trial version.  One question:  I've got the old ATI Radeon X1600 graphics card, what are you running?  Perhaps that should be updated as well. 

Thanks...I was reading through this thread and growing disheartened.

Just to report my experience.  I am a student taking civil engineering and downloaded the student licence of AutoCAD for mac on my MacBook Pro 2.2  2.16GHz machine, with 3GB RAM, and initially had issues with glitchy graphics.  I was running OSX 10.5, so I uninstalled the software, and upgraded to 10.6.3 and reinstalled AutoCAD.  I have had no issues since (4 days)  but can't say that I've worked it very hard, or tried to plot anything.  But all signs point towards trouble free operation.  Again, this is a 3+ yr old 2nd gen MBP with 2.16 GHz core 2 duo  3GB RAM and OSX 10.6.3    perhaps not the fastest machine, but seems to be running the software okay.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost