AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2011 for Mac crashes when COPY/PASTING

83 REPLIES 83
SOLVED
Message 1 of 84
Fredrik_Thege
11522 Views, 83 Replies

AutoCAD 2011 for Mac crashes when COPY/PASTING

Hi everyone,

I am using AutoCAD 2011 for Mac to draw simple 2D blueprints for lithography masks.

When I try to use copy or copy with base point and subsequently paste commands, AutoCAD either does nothing or crashes. Approximately once out of 10 times it will successfully copy the selection. This applies to copying between drawings as well as within a drawing.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software but it's not helping.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Fredrik

83 REPLIES 83
Message 2 of 84
maxim_k
in reply to: Fredrik_Thege

Hi Fredrik,

I am not sure, but I think tis could be some "permissions" problem, because when you copy something in AutoCAD it creates temporary file at: "/private/var/folders/H0/H0xmN6GtFmSVDJpzLlokh++++TI/TemporaryItems/A$CXXXXXX.DWG" on your hard drive.

Unfortunately I don't know how to repair this.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 84

We have also experienced the frequent crashing when copying/pasting.

Operating on the "permissions" theory proposed by Maxim, here is what I have attempted to rectify the problem:

First you must set MacOS to show hidden files. you do this with 2 command strings in Terminal Ap.

String #1 - "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE"  (no quotes)

String #2 - "killall Finder"  (again, no quotes)

Close Terminal Ap, then navigate to Macintosh HD/private, which you will now be able to see, and add your user account to the permissions list, with the privilege level of Read & Write

I will post once any clear indications of either success or failure are known.

Message 4 of 84

Hi,

Thank you for your replies!

I added my account to the list of permitted users to read and write in /private as you described. 

It seemed to make my system unstable and I experienced my first mac crash. 

I was however able to change the path for where AutoCAD saves temporary files in the Application tab in the preferences menu. I created a folder in my home directory (that i already have all permissions to) and directed "Temporary drawing file location" and "Temporary external reference file location" there.

Copy/pasting still doesn't work every time, but the software no longer crashes.

I suspect that this, at least partially solved my problems. 

Best,

Fredrik

Message 5 of 84

I noticed no difference after resetting the permissions to /private, good or bad, so I tried the redirecting temp files to a folder in the Documents directory. This has reduced the frequency of crashes, but not eliminated them entirely. I am hoping the 2012 release arrives soon!

Message 6 of 84

hi, i was wondering what would i have to wirite on the terminal to hide again all temp files and stuff
Message 7 of 84
maxim_k
in reply to: Julia.Herrera

String #1 - "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE"  (no quotes) String #2 - "killall Finder"  (again, no quotes) HTH Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 84
missmdp

i am having this same issue. 

someone from autodesk, please respond!!

thanks

Message 9 of 84
Bready

I am having this problem as well, copying and pasting from drawing to drawing.

A simple solution that my classmates offered, just save your work to a different file name. A big hassle, but this is only for ; if you're copying a single item/drawing.

They really need to fix this problem!!!

Message 10 of 84
Einstijn
in reply to: Bready

Same problem here as wel.

Copying lines, blocks or whatever (with basepoint) works, but when i try to paste them nothing happens or autocad freezes or crashes. When nothing happens it sometimes does paste after pressing 10+ times cmd-v. or it crashes.

Autocad worked fine last few months but this weird problem started just a few days ago.

EDIT:

Just tried it in a new document, i get the following message when trying to paste

http://i.imgur.com/K3FFP.jpg

Message 11 of 84
robnyoung

i get the same message...

worked fine for months, then yesterday just stopped copying and pasting. i installed the update from a while back to see if that would solve it only for it to make it worse, crashing autocad as soon as i opened it. i've had to reinstall it to get it to work again but i still get the same copy & paste problem.

it has made autocad completely unusable...

Message 12 of 84
truwatt
in reply to: robnyoung

I am having the same problem. Ctrl-C crashes CAD almost without fail and I receive the same error messages mentioned in previous users' posts.

Has anyone received a reply to an error reoprt from Autodesk on this one? Seriously burning work hours with this issue...

Message 13 of 84
Einstijn

When it freezes/shuts down after the copy/paste bug, i need to "force stop" the program to quit because it is not responding. If i use the cmnd-v command after the program has closed (so pasting on the desktop) then Finder suddenly stops responding too. If i try to start Photoshop or Word, they also stop responding imidiatly..

I hope someone knows how to overcome this issue!

Thx in advance

Message 14 of 84
elvera88

i have the same problem everything was good with the autocad 2011 for mac until the copy/paste command stop working and the autocad starts crashing.... why autodesk dont say nothing??? we need help

Message 15 of 84
cthomsen

I have exactly the same problem. I try the copy/paste command and AutoCAD for MAC freezes or crashes. Surely Autodesk will listen and figure it out.

Message 16 of 84
elvera88

anyone try formatting your computer and installing again autocad???? i read in some web that can help

Message 17 of 84
borja.carredano

I bought a new macbook pro and it crashes too, I thought I configured something wrong with the migration process from the other computer, so I formatted the Mac... Same thing happened, the thing is that with my old Mac it works fine (Mac OS 10.5.8), it might be something wrong with the OS 10.6 or something, I hope they fix it soon because I can't use my new Mac... It sucks

Message 18 of 84
maxim_k
in reply to: borja.carredano

@borja.carredano wrote:

....Same thing happened, the thing is that with my old Mac it works fine (Mac OS 10.5.8), it might be something wrong with the OS 10.6 or something, I hope they fix it soon because I can't use my new Mac... It suck

Did you have 10.6.7 update instaled on new system?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 19 of 84
borja.carredano

Yes I did, i tried before updating and after... I also installed the update of AutoCAD and tried it before and after.. always the same result, sometimes it copies but don't paste and crashes, sometimes appears a window saying "couldn't find the path...",  and almost every time it just appears the circled rainbow and starts thinking without end and then the mac's fan starts running as fast as it can... then I have to force quit...

Really frustrating, hope the fix comes out soon

Message 20 of 84
maxim_k
in reply to: borja.carredano

Which Macbook Pro (the new one) you just bought? 13" ?

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost