AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2011 for MAc running very slowly

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
drdekay
8059 Views, 21 Replies

AutoCAD 2011 for MAc running very slowly

I am new to AutoCAD. Just installed program today. I have a iMac model 11,1 intel core i7 with 8 GB memory, and the ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics card (512 MB VRam). The program is running very slowly. It takes more than 30 seconds to just change views. Sometimes "Activity Monitor" will state that the AutoCAD program is "not responding". How do I configure the application to run faster. It is almost impossible to use as it is. I am using a 3 MB file .DWG from AutoCAD 2010 (Windows OS). 

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
drdekay
in reply to: drdekay

Additional information. I am trying to manipulate (just the different views) a .DWG file which was created by the Windows version AutoCAD 2010,  and I constantly get the "beach ball" for sometimes a minute (usually give up and force quit). I have not created my own drawing yet. Are there sample drawings or tutorials with sample drawing I can check to see if it is the program or just this file. When I just have the initial startup screen I can manipulate the views normally w/o the "beach ball" of death. How should users of windows version of AutoCAD save their .DWG file to make them compatible as possible to the Mac version? Note: when I ope this Windows version . DWG I get warnings there are objects not supported by my AutoCAD appl. How should I handle this?

Maybe because I am very new to this application (AutoCAD For Mac) but I find this situation very very frustrating. I have the student version (cannot afford the standard) and a cannot seem to get started.

Message 3 of 22

Hello every body !!!

I have had the same with the AutoCAD 2011 student version for Mac. It is very annoying when I copy and object and try to paste it in another place or when I intent to draw something and the software begin to work slowly and takes a lot of time for processing the order. I have a MacBook6.1, with 4GB Ram, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz. Can any body give me asuggestion of how to make faster the software?.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 22

also have a problem with speed of autocad for mac

Message 5 of 22
tobyleader

I also have the same issue with macbook, 4gb ram etc etc. Using normal toolbars is fine but when pointer moves into drawing area it immediately slows right up and scrolling and commands are very slow.

Need solution as business relies on this!

Thanks

Message 6 of 22
tobyleader
in reply to: ksiedzulek

Actually found a soltution after searching the net for hours.

Try this, worked a treat....

Click on the A symbol on the top, chose options on the button.

chose system. press permormance tuning.

Press manual tunning and remove the check on Enable hardware acceleration.

Done

Message 7 of 22
drdekay

I may not have my AutoCAd for Mac set up like yours but I do not see (yet) the "A" symbol to click on. Please elaborate. Thank you

Message 8 of 22
mitesh

I too face the same problem can anybody suggest the solution

Also I require operating manual in detail, is there any soft copy available?

Message 9 of 22
maxim_k
in reply to: mitesh

Hi,

Not sure about performance issues, because there are a lot of factors, that can affect performance (hardware requirements, complexity of your drawings, sometimes large amount of dtext objects, third parity mouse software, etc.)

@Mitesh wrote:

Also I require operating manual in detail, is there any soft copy available?

Maybe this is what are you looking for:

AutoCAD 2011 for Mac PDF Documentation

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 10 of 22
mitesh
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks a lot, user guide this is the what I required, got it.

Thanks once again

mitesh

Message 11 of 22
mitesh

My configuration is as under, and Autocad 2011 takes 175 seconds to start, please help.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.27f3

Serial Number (system): W882318CYJX

Hardware UUID: E5477753-DB27-5140-84C1-FBF189C5824E

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Message 12 of 22
maxim_k

Hi,

Looks like you own MacBookPro4,1 - Early 2008, 15",

but from System Requirements for AutoCAD for Mac 2011 you can see, that it can run on hardware, that was produced after January, 2009 (MacBookPro5,1).

So such a long loading time, of AutoCAD  is fully justified.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 13 of 22
zeeblake

I'm also facing these issues. The performance of Acad for Mac is acceptable except when you select objects. Once you've selected objects, the mouse pointer gets really sluggish, and performance is unacceptable. If you deselect the objects (by pressing Esc for example), performance gets back to normal. However, you need to select objects while working with Acad, so, it's a problem.

Is there some workaround for this? (this low performance is really a serious problem).

If it matters, I've installed the latest Autocad for Mac update (the second update patch IIRC), and I've a Late 2010 MacbookAir, 2.13GHz, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.6.7

Message 14 of 22
awl1l

I have a Mac Book Pro 5.2, 2.8 GHz with 4 GB or RAM. This meets the Acad Apple requirements, and I have the same slow problem. For small file sizes ( < 0.4 Mb) things work well, but as I get over half a mega byte in file size, when I use say a Move All  command, it turns glatial... sometimes getting the pinwheel and a freeze. I upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard, which didn't seem to help at all. I have ordered 8 GB of RAM and will see how that goes... though I see other post from folks with 8 GB, or with new machines and  16 GB and they have the same problem. I have tried reducing whatever setting constraints I can find in the Acad prefrences (how many segements for pline display etc) and this doesn't help either. This is all while doing 2D. I am still on the trial-version download.  I love not having to use my VMware and a 2008 Acad for windows... being able to stay in Apple Land is nice, but I can't live with this sluggish behaviour for modest file sizes. I design mask sets for micro electronics, and am typically using several MB in file size (which just chokes this apple autocad when i am manipulating large segements of the drawing). 

Help!

Message 15 of 22
maxim_k

Hi,

I also have MacBook Pro 5,2 but with 8 Gb RAM, and practically have no issues with 7-8 Gb drawings (2D). The only thing I think you have to check - it is current Visual Style, in order to operate quick and smooth, you have to set it to 2D Wireframe.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 16 of 22
macsr

This is all old news for fresh ported software. I run it on a late 2010 mac mini with 8gb ram and ssd as internal startup. My challenge is that AD stops responding if i dont wait for it. And maaan does it clog up my log when it does

Message 17 of 22
awl1l

Well I went and swapped in 8Gb of RAM for my previous 4Gb and it did nothing to speed up my apple-autocad (where I see a big slow down for file sizes > 1/2 Mb... e.g., for a 'move all' action). I am running 2D and with the 2D Wireframe setting. Wondering if I should do a re-install, as I am out of ideas of what else to change on my autocad settings. Perhaps there is also software out there that would check to see how "well" my apple is running (processing speed etc) like I know is out there for window products (ie, on the off chance that there is something intrinsically wrong with how my apple is running).

Message 18 of 22
awl1l

As mentioned previously, the problem I have with sluggish behavious is when I use the Move All command....I also get the pinwheel and a non responsive cross-hair etc. I increased my ram, and also un-installed and then re-installed my autocad software. No improvement. Also during this time I realized that I didn't fully understand some of the intracacies of the tool-tip window. For example, I didn't realize that the default settings for a move comman entry of coordinates is a relative one (so it assumes an "@" logic ... ie, as if you had entered an "@" in the main bottom command line. SO I started playing with the Move All command for files > 0.5Mb and instead of typing the Move All command in this floating tool tip window, I typed it on the main (lower) command line. What I got in return was a responsive cross hair movement and no pinwheel. If I move the cursor/cross-hairs on the screen the generation of the siloute of the entities goes about its merry way of being generated. This, just like in my autocad 2008 for windows can take some time. But just like in windows-land, you don't have to wait for it. YOu can clcik where you want to move the entities to, or you can use a snap command to move it to a center or corner of an entity etc, or you can enter in coordinates for the move. The point is, no pinwheel and the entities get moved quickly once you have entered by whatever means you choose.   I believe that when you enter the commands (and the first x,x and then the 2nd x,y  throught he tool-tip windown, that the system freezes up while it generates/calculates the siloute, and doesn't allow the cursor changes to be displayed. I am thinking of just turning off this tool tip display.

Message 19 of 22
awl1l
in reply to: awl1l

Sorry for the multiple post. But one can change the dynamic input of this tool tip window/entry. The icon for this, in one of the tool bars, looks like a cross with a rectangle in the lower right quadrant defined by the cross. Hoding your cursor over this icon brings up "Dynamic Input". Right Click on this and select "settings". Under Pointer Input, click "settings". Change from Relative Coordinates to Absolute Coordinates. Click OK. Now click OK again in the main Drafting settings for Dynami Input. Finally, make sure that you have not inadvertantly turned off the Dynamic Input altogether (the cross & rectangle incon should remain highlighted (in my seetings, it has a blue cast background. Clicking it once togges it between on and of etc. 

OK, you are now good to go. Use the Move All command, with the commands being entered in/through the tool tip floating window. You can now move your entire large drawing from one x,y place to another x,y place with no pinwheels or crashing or cursor sluggishnet. 

I am back to loving my Autocad for MAC!

- Art

Message 20 of 22
Bob.Felton

This procedure (that Tobyleader describes) is specific to A4W (AutoCAD for Windows) that has the Red A. A4M does not use the Red A.

Both versions will respond to the 3DCONFIG command that takes you directly to Performance Tuning in A4W and opens a list of options in A4M. Choose acceLeration then Software, then Exit.

If the video card's hardware acceleration is not working out, switching to software acceleration may respond better.

Bob Felton
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost