AutoCAD Structural Detailing General DIscussion

Valued Contributor
lucis29
Message 11 of 12 (594 Views)

Re: What do users think about ASD

01-08-2013 11:45 PM in reply to: Quadratec

quadratec wrote:

Hi Lucian,

Is ASD only a third party applications running over the top of AutoCAD (like ProSteel and MDT) or does it have it's own kernal and built from the ground up?

ASD is AutoCad on steroids and probably that is why is working sluggish.

MeelisSinijärv6719
Message 12 of 12 (474 Views)

Re: What do users think about ASDeams

02-03-2013 09:04 AM in reply to: Quadratec

I bought Revit Structure and ASD in 2008. But before I was already familiar with Robobat's RCAD (now ASD). Here are a bunch of old videos of Rcad:

http://www.robotoffice.com/asd/

ASD  is based on Autocad. I have to say that ASD steel is not a dream, but it does the work. It slows down significally when designing large structures. It crashes often. Autocad don't support good gaming graphic cards like "geforce" so you need an "autodesk recomended graphics card" if you want to use faster autocad 3D models.

ASD reinforcement is a 2D software with some 3D capabilities. This is quite a simple and efficient piece of software I use often. In real life structural engineer usually do not need a 3D rebars to model.

ASD formwork is wery simple software. Basicly you can design your structure model as acis solids and convert them to ASD formwork elements like walls, beams etc. Then it is possible to make plans and elevation drawings. Autodesk has not developed it for years now and unfortunately it is practically standalone software that can not work with ASD reinforcement any more like Rcad did. If it was a little more advanced, I'd used it in some cases instead of Revit.

So about five years I have been waiting fot that Revit integrates ASD and I do not need Autocad anymore. Now it is clear that after five years from now that will still not happen. The development of Revit structure is very slow. Actually it is wery complicated software to use and I am not using it for final design because it slows down the construction drawings generation. I use it for raw modelling of a structure just to check out the basics and to generate the raw formwork frawings (in dwg format) for ASD. I do not do any steel in Revit.

I wish I could afford Tekla Structures so I could forget Revit and its sattelite programs. To be honest I think that really intuitive and simple structural engineering software has to be developed yet.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Structural Detailing Category!

The AutoCAD Structural Detailing forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community