AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing ASD model in a Revit file

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
haydenwse
1361 Views, 4 Replies

Viewing ASD model in a Revit file

Is there any way to insert an completed ASD model into a Revit model as a link or underlay so that the connections can be viewed in the architectural model.  I am looking for ways to check for conflicts and clashes with the architectural finishes. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

As I remember, Revit can't import 3D dwg. Also, I didn't manage to import an ASD model in Revit.

I would recomend you to use Naviswork.

Message 3 of 5

I tried inserting the dwg file from the asd model and got an error about setting the proxygraphics to 1.  After making that change I was able to import the model but it did not have any of the bolts and it did not cut with the sections.

I tried loading it into a generic family and then loading that family into the project and was able to cut the asd model but it is in wire frame.  It still doesn't have any bolts but it is better than nothing.

Does anyone know if there is a way to view it as shaded?

Message 4 of 5

Have you try exporting it in fbx or ACIS?

Message 5 of 5
haydenwse
in reply to: haydenwse

The workflow that works best is as follows.

1.  On ASD - Model ribbon - Tools" tab click the down arrow and select "Save model as ACIS solids" file.

2.  Name new file and select elements to be exported.

3.  You will then have two options for "Save as simplified solids. [Yes, No].  If you choose yes the model will not export the bolts, and no includes the bolts.

4.  Open a new generic model rfa file and insert the dwg file just created and load the rfa file into the project. 

if you don't load the dwg file into an rfa file you will not be able to cut the model with section cuts or view cropping.  BTW, the same is true for importing sketchup models into Revit.   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips