AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating revit to asd

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
haydenwse
575 Views, 4 Replies

Updating revit to asd

I have been able to export a Revit Structure model to ASD Steel but can't figure out how to update the ASD file with changes made in Revit.  Can this be done or do I need to throw out the old ASD and start over?

I refer modeling in Revit.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: haydenwse

No. You can update the ASD file. It will only change what you've changed in Revit.

I usually export to ASD after I'm sure the model in Revit is complete. Also, if I'm to advanced with ASD detailing, I preffer to make changes in ASD file and in Revit file independently. I don't trust so much in Autodesk interoperability. (maybe is just me).

Message 3 of 5
haydenwse

I do not understand your response.  I have created a simple test project in Revit that started out as 4 columns, 2 girders and joists at 6' o.c.  I exported it to ASD and everything was perfect.  I then modified the Revit model by raising one of the girders 3', changing the spacing of the joists and changing the size of 2 joists.  The results are shown below.  This is not promising.  It seems to update some things but entirely misses others.  Am I dong something wrong or does the update system just not work?

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

need to start over again 😞
Message 5 of 5
haydenwse

Please tell me that you are joking.  If you cannot re-integrate a model than you have one chance to get everything perfect.  I have not jet discovered such a utopia on planet Earth.

With all of the analytical models there is complete bi-directional integrations.  I use Ram Elements by (can I say in on an Autodesk site?) Bentley.  Smiley Embarassed  info is sent back and forth several times in the process of a design without undue problems.  It seems really strange that if Revit and Ram can play nice together two Autodesk products that are packaged together and touted as working collaboratively can't do the same.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips