AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store user parts database on network drive

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Jianna
659 Views, 3 Replies

Store user parts database on network drive

There are multiple people where I work that are using Structural Detailing. We'd like to begin creating a user parts database that everyone can access. From what I can tell, the user parts database is stored on each person's local hard drive. Is there a way to get each person's computer to save new parts in a central folder on the network drive? And then also pull from that folder when trying to add existing user parts?

All of us are going to be using the same U-bolts, lifting lugs, etc, over and over in our modeling. It'd be great if we didn't have to create a new user part if one of our colleagues has created it already.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
eduardo.daroit
in reply to: Jianna

About storage of the database and drawings of User Parts and how to transfer from one computer to another

1 - I noticed that when creating a new database ASD ( automatically - I think has not choosing ) save in the following folder :

C : \ Users \ hp \ AppData \ Roaming \ Autodesk \ Structural \ Common Data \ 2014

However , when I send insert new document it does not appear . This second problem, already posted another open link about visual solid object.

2 - The original existing database of ASD are saved in another folder :

C : \ ProgramData \ Autodesk \ Structural \ Common Data \ 2014 \ Data \ ObjSteel

In this folder, some database work and others do not.

Why ASD saved in different folders on the same subject ?

Why can not choose the folders in which to save the databases and dwg system ?

Is this the reason for not working the display ?

3 - Also has a third folder with the database:

C : \ Autodesk \ WI \ Autodesk AutoCAD Structural Detailing 2014 \ x64 \ asd \ Program Files \ Root \ STRUCTURAL_COMMON_DATA \ Data \ ObjSteel

I think this is system backup because the files have not changed. OK.

4 - The main question is how to transfer data from one computer to another without having to generate databases and individual blocks.

I thank you for your help.

Message 3 of 4

My personal suggestion is this: create your own personal section, styles, family, layers, text style, dimension style ecc....than clean the drawing and save it as tamplate (asd use Rbcs.....dwt).

Store this tamplate in network place, or in cloud place (dropbox, google drive, skydrive ecc...), set ASD to start with it and share this with all your colleagues....

In this way everybody have the same settings and the same database....

Each time you define a new section that can be used by everybody, overwrite the tamplate as previously described.

I use this trick with my partners and it works very fine.

Greetings and let me know if I've helped you.

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Structural + Detailing engineers
Message 4 of 4

But the "user parts" are different from "user sections." The "user parts" does not depend on the template. But your suggestion is good for the overall organization, but not answer the questions I posed above.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips