AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is ASD the pride and joy of Autodesk

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
tony
1027 Views, 11 Replies

Is ASD the pride and joy of Autodesk

I have probably put in as much time with ASD as anyone and are disgusted with Autodesk and their lack of commitment and responsibility to its loyal users. This product could be up there with the best of them if they listened to the users and put in the time to fix it. Its not our job to beg Autodesk to fix this. We paid for a product that is suppose to work. I didn't notice on the disk where it said "THIS PRODUCT IS CRAPPY AND DOESN'T WORK PROPERLY". I notice there aren't too many Autodesk contributors on the forum telling us that their product is working fine. I wonder if all the resellers around the world are sleeping at night knowing they are selling this heap of S--T.

Come on Autodesk pull your fingers out and do the right thing

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mtamil
in reply to: tony

100% I agree. Autodesk ASD is in very bad shape. Forget about fixes, Not even replies we are getting from Autodesk. Very poor.

Message 3 of 12
markhubrich
in reply to: mtamil

I got the winner reply of all replies from Autodesk in the past. I couldn't believe my eyes and read it over and over. If my anger builds enough throughout the day from ASD maybe I'll post the conversation without exposing who it came from. I'm not so much an a$$hole to get someone fired. 😐

Mark
...and fix the kiss export issues.
Message 4 of 12
tony

hi Mark

I would be interested in hearing the reply you got. It may give people thinking of buying ASD an opportunity to look somewhere else. Ive really had enough of them and are sick of these big companies taking advantage of people and having no one to answer to. The only way they sit up and listen is through big drops in sales and poor public opinion.

GO FOR IT MARK!

If I bought a car with a faulty exheaust it would be fixed. If I bought some jeans with a hole they would be replaced. If I bought a faulty electrical product I could get my money back and so the list goes on. But why doesn't it apply to Autodesk? Why don't they come under the same consumer laws? I would love my money back or better still a properly working product.

regards to all

Tony

Message 5 of 12
tony

This is just a bit more to my last post.

The reseller I was using for technical support couldn't help me fix my ASD problems because there was no fixes. How bad is that and then they still carry on selling the product. Autodesk went on to still release ASD 2014 with the same problems. They must be the laughing stock of the cad world

Message 6 of 12
markhubrich

Okay here's how the conversation went. (I left out the support techs name because its not really his fault)

Hi Mark,

Some tips below.

1. Please don't use very often AutoCAD shading option. This option consumes a lot of memory resources.

2. Drawings generation - please perform drawing generation always (if possible) AFTER entire structure modeling and positioning.

3. For big structures try to have one single model into one file. Then copy file (structure model) several times. Having several copies of model try to divide structure into small parts - each file should represent logical part of structure.

For each part of structure (in separated files) generate drawings.

4. For printouts please use blocks instead of viewports.

5. Please use 64 bit OS - you won't have a memory limitation.

6. Please go to Preferences and click on the last tab. There you will find some options that will make model working faster:

6a. Steel tree - check in Redraw acceleration option

6b. Display steel profiles without roundings

6c. Bolts and Welds - display in simplified mode

7. For serious memory issues save periodically file then exit from application and launch ASD again.

Best regards,

Autodesk Support Team

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mark,

Do you need any more assistance due to this topic?

Best regards,

Autodesk Support Team

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Support,

I could use a spec on a workstation that will allow me to work on large misc. structures. 

If it would help find out why my workstation slows down to a crawl when working on this model, I can share the file with you on my 360 account. The lag has become so bad that it takes 5 minutes just to update a printout.

Thanks,

Mark Hubrich 

Engineering Manager

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mark,

OK I am ready to check this model.
How big it is as zipped?

Best regards,

Autodesk Support Team

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mark,

I will open the ftp account for this case and you could upload the big file to the case.

Best regards,

Autodesk Support Team

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank You,

I have reduced the size of the file by removing items that are not required to appear on shop drawings. I still have issues with lag though. Even when only updating a detail or a printout. 

The file is uploaded.

Thanks,

Mark Hubrich 

Engineering Manager

Hi Mark,

Truly said, it is a big thing for ASD and all of known suggestions about making the job lighter are worth of nothing I think.
I just wondered if it is reasonable to split the model onto smaller parts but I suppose that you made over this consideration.
It is only breakthrough idea I could give you in such moment.

Best regards,

Autodesk Support Team

I tried different ways if dividing it up but it isn't like a building where I can split by floor or on a column line. Plus art numbers become an issue.

Is it true that acad can only use one CPU core? It doesn't make sense to me.

Mark

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Hi Mark,

It is unfortunately truth with these one core limitation in AutoCAD.
Only some processes are supported by multithreading.

Best regards,

Autodesk Support Team

Support,

I need to know what kind of workstation hardware specs I need to create jobs like this one without the extreme loss of time due to waiting for ASD to respond. 

This is the type of work I do here. I cannot afford to sit and wait each time I issue a command. Sometimes up to 10 minutes.

Please see if you can speak with someone over there to recommend a workstation that would handle work like this. My guess is that I need a better computer.

Mark Hubrich 

Engineering Manager

Support,

Here is another example..

http://www.screencast.com/t/8swkBKtV

Mark Hubrich 

Engineering Manager

Hi Mark,

I will check it on my side but I am afraid that there are no way to improve the workstation to be strong enough for such job on it.

Best regards,

Autodesk Support Team

Hi Mark,

We did some tests and using filtering on screen is improving in some range the time reaction for operating on model like 3D orbit etc.
Unfortunately it is only advice I can suggest you for such moment.
No update about the hardware.
I think you have it much higher level than rest of the world.

Best regards,

Autodesk Support Team

Support,

Do you know if there is a plan in the future to support multi CPU?

I noticed the Nvidia performance driver has ended at AutoCad2011 I think. Is there any performance drivers available for 2013?

Is there a beta tester program I can become involved in? I am long time user of Autocad and I am desperate to help if it will help Autodesk speed up ASD.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm starting to feel embarrassed by my answers, because, unfortunately, in any of the matter, I can not provide assistance.
Unfortunately, the development plans in this direction, we have no official positions and the BETA program in the current version is not running.
In the near future, is expected the publication of version 2014 contains a number of amendments in compared to the previous version.

Best regards,

Autodesk Support Team

Hi Mark,

This case was not officially accepted as solved that is why system still asks you about missing things.
This is internal number of the request so you can always use it as referrence to the problem which was reported to us.

Best regards,

Autodesk Support Team

This case is still being investigated? I still have a serious issue and it is causing me delays.

Mark Hubrich 

Engineering Manager

Hi Mark,

It is not investigated in such moment and I think that my answer sent 28th of March was suggesting it.
I am sorry that it is not the developement priority, as you see, to let ASD to handle big models in comfortable way.

Best regards,

Autodesk Support Team

Message 7 of 12
jorgeluisgdeaca

Tony, maybe this software isn't for you, some times we need to look out if this is the best for us at this moment. In the past and working whit small and simple structures ASD was the best option for me, working on Autodesk family, 3D object, very intuitive.... The time you wasted with workarounds, waiting for fixes... maybe other software has the solutions you need. Everybody knows that users are the best testing for programmers and companies bring out the market softwares "almost finished" to work, now please think if you want to be a tester-boy for they. Also think if they have some response for your work as a tester-boy.
Message 8 of 12
Message 9 of 12
tony

Hi Mark

Do you know how this works

4. For printouts please use blocks instead of viewports.

Regards

Tony

Message 10 of 12
talles.projetos

Hello Tony,

This helps?

Regards

TALLES

Message 11 of 12
tony
in reply to: talles.projetos

Thanks for those tips

If you look at the pdf included you will see there are no break lines on yhe members but I have use the breakline command on this drawing. You can notice if you zoom in to the clouded areas you will see some dots but you can't see these when you print the drawing.

I edited the acad.lin file to include a new line type called whatever you like and I used an existing line type made with dots. In the style window which you access from the edition layout you can set the line type in the shortening area as the new one you created and set the scale of the line to something super high. Make sure you set the gap to 0

I think the drawings look a lot cleaner using this new line type.

Any problems let me know

Tony

Message 12 of 12
markhubrich

Here's how I do it... 2013-06-05_0923 Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips