AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create an Assembly in ASD?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Geoff
1108 Views, 4 Replies

How do I create an Assembly in ASD?

So I have created a model of my steel structure, which I want to break into 2 mirror image assemblies.  How do I designate assemblies within my model?  I figure I should do this before running the Automated Drawing generation routine.  Not much available from Autodesk in the Help file on this topic, which you would think is a pretty basic element.  Also, my model contains compound profiles of back to back angles with a 3/8" gap in between.  I ran the Auto Positioning command within Object Inspector before defining my assemblies.  Is it safe to do so, or should I be defining the Assembly first?

Geoff

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
markhubrich
in reply to: Geoff

Documentation is thin. 

This may help...   http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/gsg_asd_steel.pdf   

If you apply shop welds or shop bolted connections in your model it will group the joined parts and an assy. will be created.

The best way to find out how ASD works is to save your production model file as another name and try stuff. That way when you see how it works, or doesn't work :-|, you didn't damage your good file.  

...and fix the kiss export issues.
Message 3 of 5
Geoff
in reply to: markhubrich

Thanks Mark.  I have been folllowing that protocol myself, but this trial and error stuff is taking too long.  I was already reading through that 2011 tutorial, but as you say it is pretty thin on directions, ie not very clear.  Right now I have somehow gotten an Automated version of my assembly drawing to generate by watching a You Tube video from Exitech Ltd. UK- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efRgPC_FWuY and I am now in the Edition layout trying to move overlapping dimensions around.  The thing is, even though I lock the viewports they seem to self-unlock as soon as I get in there. Any suggestions?  By the way Kudo's to the British guy from Exitech Ltd. UK - Thanks for making that video.  It's about the best one out there I've found so far.

Message 4 of 5
Geoff

Apparently the lack of ability to maintain the lock on the viewport while editing in Edition layout (that's EDITion I suppose), make's no difference to the block that is in the layout sheet.  The dimensions can be manipulate though.  

Message 5 of 5
Geoff

Ok, this is the deal...My Assembly is way too complex, perhaps just too large, and all of these dimensions are too densely packed together to be of any use to anyone.  I know that I should simplify things somehow, but if I blow away one part of the mirror image, then I lose my connections.  Could someone perhaps offer some procedural advice?  If I was drawing this in AutoCAD I would just zoom up and make a bunch of details, but apparently that's all out of your hands when you rely on Automation.  Or is it?  Anybody out there in ASD world that has gone through this before and come up with a tenable solution?  Thanks,

Geoff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips