AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holes which are not perpendicular to profile face are not recognized in drawings

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
RedNova
3615 Views, 5 Replies

Holes which are not perpendicular to profile face are not recognized in drawings

Hi.

Sometimes, it is necessary to create a bolted connection between profiles which are not absolutely parallel.

In this case you have to create a "not perpendicular to face" hole at least on one of profiles.

The issue is that when you try to create drawing for the profile, these holes will not be recognized and placed on the drawing. In fact ASD will even not notice that some mechanical cutting exists and if you use automatic part shortening then hole can be just hidden. Whatever I try I cannot make this hole recognized. And put hole mark on it. See the image below:

Hole not perpendicular is not recognized.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tedmail
in reply to: RedNova

when creating the automatic drawings settings, have you checked the checkbox for "holes" and all?  There's quite a few uptions about holes there, depending on single part, group, etc...  But it looks like you have htem showing up properly, just not included in the dimensions, which leeds me to beleive the checkbox theory...

Hope that helps!

Message 3 of 6
RedNova
in reply to: tedmail

I think you meant "holes in view" checkbox in dimensioning style settings. Well, here I put all possible ones and nothing helps. The point is that all usual holes and even hidden holes are displayed in drawings correctly. But whenever hole is not perpendicular to the surface (starting about on 3 degree difference) it will not be understood during drawing generating. Try yourselves. To display this kind of hole in drawing I had to recheck all my model and add a usual hole above. So I suppose this is one of bugs we meet in ASD.

Message 4 of 6
tedmail

I don't know that I would call it a bug, but maybe they need an option for an "off angle" hole.

Message 5 of 6
Tony_Gibbs

Give this a try.

Use the bolt to generate the hole in the top angle only, then change the UCS to suit the twisted angle and then generate a single hole in tis angle so it lines up with the bolt

Regards

Message 6 of 6
RedNova
in reply to: Tony_Gibbs

Finally I did it following way:

Created "not perpendicular" bolted connection and then added one more hole (hole 2) above bolt's hole (hole 1) in profile's UCS. I had to create hole 2 somewhere nearby and move to same position with hole 1 because ASD is not placing new it above hole 1 if you try to do it in one step.

I made a project of telecom tower and I had a lot of "not perpendicular" connections, so I had to repeat this steps for all of them to be sure that holes will not be lost on detailed drawing :(.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips