AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension fraction style changes when stretching/moving dimensions.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
sk8or15
965 Views, 8 Replies

Dimension fraction style changes when stretching/moving dimensions.

Good Morning,

I have my dim style set for a diagonal stacked fraction, however when I so much as touch a dimension in the editions layout in order to clean it up, the fraction format changes to "Not Stacked".  Now I have mixed format prints.  Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
zcsillag
in reply to: sk8or15

Yes, change software Smiley LOL

Regards
Csillag Zoltán
Message 3 of 9
sk8or15
in reply to: zcsillag

I like all of the other Autodesk products, it just seems that ASD was kind of hacked together and unrefined before release.  It seems to be very clunky.  I'm also having a horrible time with it lagging, freezing, force closing & crashing. Part of it may be my current computer, I will be upgrading soon.  

Message 4 of 9
zcsillag

Yes, only ASD lagging, freezing, force closing & crashing, go archive and install same old Robobat RCAD Smiley Very Happy

Solution new Tekla v19 !

Regards
Csillag Zoltán
Message 5 of 9
markhubrich

@sk8or15 wrote:

I like all of the other Autodesk products, it just seems that ASD was kind of hacked together and unrefined before release.  It seems to be very clunky.  I'm also having a horrible time with it lagging, freezing, force closing & crashing. Part of it may be my current computer, I will be upgrading soon.  

Autocad Little Metal Jobs Detailing is what it should really be called. 

Let me tell you something. I've been with ASD since the 2009 release. Before that I detailed many many structural/misc. jobs the old way, Autocad. Dating back to R13 as I'm sure many of us in these discussions have. ASD seemed to be the best thing since sliced bread when I got my hands on it. Why wouldn't it. You didn't have to start completely over to learn a new software like you do with SDS2 or Tekla. Who could ask for more right? We are already familiar with Autocad.

I'm really pissed off about this whole topic so please bear with me as I might bounce around a bit. 

The only way to obtain ASD is with the purchase of Revit. In my case I opted for the Building Design Suite Ultimate because I also need Navisworks Manage for all the BIM work I'm doing. Revit is for designing buildings. ASD is for detailing the steel you designed in Revit. That's why it's included with Revit.

The issue boils down to this. I just cannot make any sense of it either, as you have discovered as well. The software runs fine if you are designing the steel for your 3 car garage. If you need to detail the school job you were just awarded a contract for, or the new strip mall going up down the road, you better hope the job is mostly bar joists. The larger your project gets, adding more beams and connections only slows ASD down more as you go. 

I was diehard Autodesk up until that point. 

There is no mention anywhere (believe me I searched everywhere) about a limitation of the size of job you can do with ASD. I had been going back and forth with Autodesk support about the extreme lag. I asked what workstation specs do I need to run ASD for these jobs. I gave them my dwg as a reference. Their answer was totally unexpected.   

"

I am afraid that there are no way to improve the workstation to be strong enough for such job on it.

"

The dwg i'm working on is just a catwalk for a recital hall at a university. It is not even a large structural project.

I just placed an order for a $8,000 BOXX workstation. This workstation is the fastest, baddest machine I could find while not being concerned about the cost. If it won't run ASD I'm going to make it my new lifes work let everyone know about it. If I can help stop someone from going through the same pain as I'm currently experiencing I certainly will.

All the time saved by using a fancy software called Revit is completely lost when it comes time to generate the shop drawings.  

Autodesk, I know your reading this and I know your embarassed. Pull your mass rescources together and finish what you started. Having a functional software is not "an additional feature". 

You guys are the leader in CAD for crying out loud. If your not going to fix it, then let some of who depend on your software to feed our kids do it. I would be willing to it, open up some source to me. 

I'm sorry for hyjacking this thread.

...and fix the kiss export issues.
Message 6 of 9

Mark, I share your frustation with ASD.

After the generation of drawings, ASD becomes slow even on small structures.

My advice: The $8000 Boxx you bought is a waste of resources if you use it for ASD. There will be no difference.

I'm really curios to see if there is something new in 2014 version.

I sustain my opinion that ASD is dead. Same thing for ACAD.

Message 7 of 9
ZHUKOV_ING

Мark, i can't imagine how 8000$ workstaition looks like, but i have one advise for you - dont try to make ASD work just switch to Advance steel. Graitec Advance steel works on Acad platform and since version 2012 Advance steel runs on it's own platform. I am working with Advance steel all my projects in my HP pavilion DV6 laptop and every thing is runing so so smoothly...

Best regars

Message 8 of 9

We all hope these improvements. URGENT AUTODESK.

I look ...

Message 9 of 9
markhubrich
in reply to: ZHUKOV_ING

This is tempting and I'm going to look into it. I subscribe to the Building Design Suite Ultimate due to the other software I need so I'm stuck with it.

I'm still dumbfounded at the fact that ACAD is still a single processor software and also that they stopped creating the Nvidia Performance Drivers that were said to provide a 10x performance gain. Did you ever look at all of those processes ASD runs in the performance monitor? I don't think AMD or Intel even makes a CPU anymore with a single core. I'm hoping the 4.75Ghz cpu in my new system helps.

I'm really tempted to pull that old ProSteel3D dongle key out of my junk drawer.
...and fix the kiss export issues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips