AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom connections in ASD 2011?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
GARTHLEECE5233
2675 Views, 7 Replies

Custom connections in ASD 2011?

I am still having incredible difficulty using this software for my company's needs.  We are a structural steel shop that builds things according to customer-supplied standards for connections, railings, ladders, etc.

Currently neither Autodesk themselves or my Reseller seem to really care if there are issues with their software, or these issues would have been resolved last release.  Once it's paid for, you're pretty much on your own.

My issue is this:

A) I want to create a connection from a beam to a column web (shearplate) with 10mm stiffener plates top and bottom, on both sides or the column web.  Currently, I have to create the shearplate connection, and then go into the "ribs" dialog box and insert them (I'm actually creating stiffeners, but there is no option in the shearplate dialog for sitffeners), resulting in incorrect placement (due to how the ribs insert), and then finally, moving the ribs into the correct spots.  Is there ANY way to "build a connection" and then save it down as a template to use?  I  know you can set your bolt spacing, plate sizes, etc. in the dialog boxes and then save that as a template, but should you not be able to either create from scratch and save it down, or modify an existing connection to include things like stiffeners?

B) I have a connection of a beam to an HSS column.  All I want to do is create a 12mm repad with a 12mm shearplate welded perpendicular to it.  Then, this gets welded onto the HSS column, and the beam bolts up to it.  When I try to add ANY kind of "beam to column" connection, I pick the HSS column first, and then the beam second.  EVERY SINGLE TIME, I get the "Profiles do not meet connection criteria" excuse at the command line.

Does anybody have ANY suggestions of workarounds for these issue?  I highly doubt Autodesk even reads these forums anymore, but if you are listening...

HELLO  ???? !!!  PEOPLE NEED YOUR HELP WITH YOUR SOFTWARE !!!!!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
engr_mondo
in reply to: GARTHLEECE5233

You should done a research first before buying any tool. If you're pressed to used this tool and to be advanced, it is for you to figure things out. Read whitepapers for its limitations. I guess I'm not a help-- goodluck!
Regards,

Mondo
Message 3 of 8
Tony_Gibbs

What you have mentioned is not hard to do but difficult to explain via text mesages

I have worked through almost all the problems and have found ways to solve the problem

It takes a lot of perseverence but you can get there

Once you understand the software It's a real good program

I have been making small videos of different things and if you can show me what you want I may be able to help

Message 4 of 8
MariusR

Hello all,

Tony i'm having the same problems just like Garthleece5233. For example how do you do a custom connection? You are drawing helping lines or how?

Thanks.

Message 5 of 8
Tony_Gibbs

Answer to Q2

Try temporarily changing the column to a UC do the conection and then explode the connection and replace the column back to original

Message 6 of 8
Arun_Kumar_K
in reply to: Tony_Gibbs

Unless, custom creation of connection joint is possible in ASD steel, this software can't be used.

Message 7 of 8
ZHUKOV_ING

in ASD you can't create and save custom conection, When i was working with this software the only way to create custom connection was creating all single elements one by one (plates, bolts, welds, holes, copes etc) and creating all custom connections one by one (good luck with that if you have big structure 🙂   ) My recomedations - Graitec AdvanceSteel, or if you have very very big budget Tekla.  Best regards

Message 8 of 8

Hi all, first, ZHUKOV_ING this is an ASD forum and altough we know ASD is an basic and archaic software, GARTHLEECE5233 need users help. Sometimes some things may be done as Tony mentioned, changing profiles, do your connection, explode or maintain it, back to your desired profiles. Also try with connections that were not designed for that location.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips