AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous Hand Rail

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
tpham2001
1020 Views, 6 Replies

Continuous Hand Rail

Hi All,

I've successfully done this before and now for the life of me I can NOT.

I have a platform follow by a stairs case and a platform; previously, I drew PL at center of beam and created a line string to which my HR to follow.

I executed the HR command, selected S (startpoint) -> selected Supports Profiles and there you have it. The HR dialog box appears and you go about your business configuring you HR.

Yesterday is the same as above but I CANNOT create a PL string. I can create a PL horizontally but when I get to the stairs case, I can not continue at an angle. I turned Othro on/off and nothing.

I can draw PL string in space anyway I want, but not on the centerline of my beams... Thoughts?

I tried drawing lines instead of PL method.

I execute the HR command, seleted S (starting Point) and then selected my supporting profiles, enter and now I have this error message...

Command: rbct_mmacro Library name: StrRailing Class name: StrRailingCreate
Command: Pick polyline or [Startpoint]:s
Command: Specify first point:
Command: Specify next point:
Command:
Command: Pick supporting profiles:
Command:
Command: Polyline cannot be used because one of the segments is vertical

What kind of Black magic is this?

Thanks in advance,

Tee

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: tpham2001

What I have found in this is that ASD doesnt want to continously create a handrail along stairs and platform.

Thats when it gives the "vertical" error.

Make sure all points are on the same plane

Regards

Message 3 of 7
tpham2001
in reply to: Anonymous

Good Morning Jannie,

Thank-you for the response. I still find this very upsetting after all these months. I since gave up on the idea of having a continuous HR. During the project, I asked my contractor to field mod the HR as required. What's burning me on the inside is the tutorial vid CLEARLY demo how it's done; but in reality, we can't. This IMHO, is fault advert.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: tpham2001

Would you be able to share the link to that vid so i can have a look. 

Am looking into a work around for that makro. I find the railing tool to be extremely glitchy...

Regards

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I stopped using the railing tool and I make my handrails manually. Luckily most of my handrails are in mechanical buildings and aren't super complicated. It is a bit of a pain to create them manually, but it gives me exactly what I want.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I logged a call with Autodesk regarding the makro. It keeps giving me errors or hanging my system...

I would use the tool only to create one piece of handrail and then copy and modify to complete it.

It is a big issue but lets hope 2015 is better and they incorporate AdvanceSteel functionality

There is also a issue with the South African steel profile database. The flat bar profiles are rotated by 90degrees so i load in the European database for the flat bars

Luckily the miter and radius tools works great to create continuous handrails but still testing it

Message 7 of 7
tpham2001

Hi Jannie,
Apology for the late response. here is the link requested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5_ESgf1wQc

This is at the beginning of the demo.
I must have watched this demo a 100 times and 100 times tried and failed to create the objective.

Like you, I hope for the best, but prepared for the worst.

T

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips