AutoCAD Structural Detailing General DIscussion

AutoCAD Structural Detailing General DIscussion

GARTHLEECE5233
Message 1 of 5 (777 Views)

Column to Beam Connection

777 Views, 4 Replies
06-27-2009 11:59 AM
When I pick connection/endplate/column to beam flange, or column to rafter, it tells me to pick the column, then the beam.
OK, done.
Problem, I get the error "selected profiles do not match required criteria"

The column is dead vertical, and the beam is sloped. This was not a problem when adding this connection type when running the tutorial.

Any ideas?
SARETVANDERWALT6609
Message 2 of 5 (777 Views)

Re: Column to Beam Connection

07-15-2009 08:22 AM in reply to: GARTHLEECE5233
Try the "frame knee-haunch" connection option. I use this option to connect rafter/beam to column for portal frames.
GARTHLEECE5233
Message 3 of 5 (777 Views)

07-15-2009 08:31 AM in reply to: GARTHLEECE5233
Thanks for the tip. I did find out how to make it work, but it's totally wrong for my needs. In my project the webs of the beams were in line with each other. To get the connection to work, the web of the column has to be perpendicular to the direction of the web of the beam. I'm trying to get a response out of Autodesk as to why they would establish such an inane rule on a connection, but I've got nothing back yet.
Valued Mentor
Rich.O.3d
Message 4 of 5 (397 Views)

08-15-2012 07:42 PM in reply to: GARTHLEECE5233

here we are 3 years later

still cant do a connection with the webs inline, only when perpendicular

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Distinguished Contributor
CristianLANCULESCU1367
Message 5 of 5 (386 Views)

08-16-2012 12:40 AM in reply to: Rich.O.3d

A workaround would be to choose "Knee connection" and when asked for the column - you indicate the beam and when asked for the beam - click the column.

or

Use "End plate beam to column flange" and when asked for the column - indicate the beam and when asked for the beam - click the column.

Here is a short video:

http://www.screencast.com/t/Bm6DlhOSn

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Structural Detailing Category!

The AutoCAD Structural Detailing forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.