AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASD Steel Compared to Others

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
dsscs
2128 Views, 5 Replies

ASD Steel Compared to Others

Does anyone have a comparison between ASD Steel and other 3D platforms (x-steel, SDS2, ASteel)? I have the ASD Software that came with a package of the companies license, but wonder if its really worth the time to learn or not. Is the software ok for small or large scale jobs?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cgimpel
in reply to: dsscs

We have been using ASD for almost 1 year.  Learning is completely a "self-taught" situation as Autodesk does not provide much in the way of training.  It is a fairly straight forward and easy to use program.  It does have a number of "bugs" that require work arounds.  We currently have 37 problems and/or suggestions registered with Autodesk that they are working to fix and/or incorporate into future releases.  I would say that ASD would be better suited for small to medium sized projects. 

Message 3 of 6
Tony_Gibbs
in reply to: cgimpel

Do you Know if USER PARTS can be welded to members and can you get them to appear in your shop drawings??

Message 4 of 6
cgimpel

I believe the answer to both questions is yes, however we have never incorporated user parts into any of our projects.  In the 2012 release you can use 3D solids.  They can be added to your groups but will not show up on any BOMs.

Message 5 of 6
Tony_Gibbs
in reply to: cgimpel

I have tried just about everything to weld these parts with no luck

I am using user parts as standard fittings I use all the time

I can group them with a main member but they won't show on shop drawings

Where can I get some info on the 2012 release??

Message 6 of 6
cgimpel

Sorry I can't be much help on the user parts.  We tried to use them, but could never get them to work so gave up on it.  Regarding 2012, we were invited to be a BETA test site (For 2011 originally).  You can try to contact AtuoDesk and see if you can be included.  They provide the link to the site where you can download 2012 ASD (64 or 32 bit).  I am currently using it on sime smaller projects.  It has some nice updates, but still a few gliches.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips