AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASD 2014 Complex Plate Shapes

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
markhubrich
770 Views, 2 Replies

ASD 2014 Complex Plate Shapes

Hi everyone. I'm trying to find a faster way to create plate shapes that are rolled in 2 directions. All I have to work with are a series of splines.

spline.PNG

Below is the geometry I have to work with. Each line should end up as a FB5x1/4 or similar. 

spline2.PNG

Is there any way to allow a curved profile to a Spline? Curved profiles only seem to allow Plines.

Sure I could do it no problem using regular ACAD type commands but then that defeats the purpose of ASD. 

...and fix the kiss export issues.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
markhubrich
in reply to: markhubrich

Lots of views but no feedback?

I worked out an ugly way to get it done. But it's time consuming. It will however be less time than creating regular solids and detailing them all manually.

1. I created a new profile. I really needed a 3/16 plate because these parts will all be nested and laser cut out of sheet. But I cannot see a way to do curved plates other than bending with a given radius. I'm dealing with SPlines. There are many radaii and this would take forever. So I created the new profile as a FB120x.187. After flattening the SPlines in 2 directions I apply a bent profile to the elevation flattened splines which are now Plines...

curvedpl1.PNG

A seperate issue comes up that I cannot see the insertion point what side it's on.

Here is the curved profile...

curvedpl2.PNG

Now to cut it in plan to match the other curves. I take a Pline from my other flattened SPlines and move it over to the part. 1st I extend the Pline past the part a little bit or funny things happen..curvedpl4.PNG

I then offset the line the 5" I need since the lines represent the front of the curve geometry...

curvedpl6.PNG

Then I use the cut by pline command but the cut looks like crap...

curvedpl7.PNG

I cannot accept this. 😞

Seems to be something with the control points I think. The flattening killed the resolution accuracy? 

I traced the pline with a SPline.. then discarded the original pline. Then ran Pedit on it and converted it to Pline when it asked. I used a precision of 30 when it asked...

curvedpl8.PNG

Now I have a very nice smooth cut...

curvedpl10.PNG

I now have what appears to be a "rolled in 2 directions" PL3/16x5. I will however have to hack up my BOM to reflect plate material.

There it is inserted into position... 

curvedpl12.PNG

I still have some issues however you can see here..

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Structural-Detailing/ASD-2014-Cut-by-Polyline-acting-up/td-p/4...

Mark

Message 3 of 3
markhubrich
in reply to: markhubrich

AutoDesk!!! How soon can you add the curved profile by SPline?? Or rolled plates?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips