AutoCAD Structural Detailing General DIscussion

AutoCAD Structural Detailing General DIscussion

otherguy
Message 1 of 3 (339 Views)

3 plate beams/columns

339 Views, 2 Replies
08-12-2012 11:51 AM

I have a 3 plate beam running over the top of a mill column, but I can't get the connection to show up, I select column first then when I try to select the 3 plate beam nothing happens?

Also, I have a 3 plate column (tapered) and a 3 plate beam (tapered) and I a tried to use the knee connection but it wont select the column for my first selection, it did let me select it for the base plate but not the knee connection.

Suggestions for either issue??

Thanks

Valued Contributor
jorgeluisgdeaca
Message 2 of 3 (327 Views)

Re: 3 plate beams/columns

08-13-2012 06:01 AM in reply to: otherguy

I was looking for the same the past year but I just found a user's response with a workaround that I've never used.

It seems that 3 plates/welded plates/plate girder/tapered columns and beam/refters are not too much developed for ASD.

Almost all of my work I do using tapered profiles but nothing (now) using ADS, only some details.

Distinguished Contributor
CristianLANCULESCU1367
Message 3 of 3 (311 Views)

Re: 3 plate beams/columns

08-14-2012 12:38 AM in reply to: otherguy

Unfortunaley only some connections work for tapered beams and columns.

You can make an "End plate" connection and then add bolts for the passing beam.

About the knee:

"

Using the frame knees - haunches steel connection type, you can connect a beam with a column with either a bolted or a welded connection.

Allowable elements:

• Column

Straight profiles - all sections

• Beam

Straight profiles - all sections

That was taken from Help.

You can try the "End plate - Beam/Column flange".

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Structural Detailing Category!

The AutoCAD Structural Detailing forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.