AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 plate beams/columns

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
otherguy
631 Views, 2 Replies

3 plate beams/columns

I have a 3 plate beam running over the top of a mill column, but I can't get the connection to show up, I select column first then when I try to select the 3 plate beam nothing happens?

Also, I have a 3 plate column (tapered) and a 3 plate beam (tapered) and I a tried to use the knee connection but it wont select the column for my first selection, it did let me select it for the base plate but not the knee connection.

Suggestions for either issue??

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jorgeluisgdeaca
in reply to: otherguy

I was looking for the same the past year but I just found a user's response with a workaround that I've never used.

It seems that 3 plates/welded plates/plate girder/tapered columns and beam/refters are not too much developed for ASD.

Almost all of my work I do using tapered profiles but nothing (now) using ADS, only some details.

Message 3 of 3

Unfortunaley only some connections work for tapered beams and columns.

You can make an "End plate" connection and then add bolts for the passing beam.

About the knee:

"

Using the frame knees - haunches steel connection type, you can connect a beam with a column with either a bolted or a welded connection.

Allowable elements:

• Column

Straight profiles - all sections

• Beam

Straight profiles - all sections

That was taken from Help.

You can try the "End plate - Beam/Column flange".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips