AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 ASD Trail version ??

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
553 Views, 7 Replies

2013 ASD Trail version ??

Hey all,

I'm using AutoCAD LT 2012 and was wondering if I download the ASD (AutoCAD Structural Detailing) trail version will it affect what I'm using after the trail runs out in 30 days?

Looking to upgrade to ASD.

Also is the ASD its own program or do you need the full version AutoCAD and then an add on for ASD?

Also I have used Teklastructures for 10 years for detailing at my previous job and was wondering if anyone knows if ASD is similar to it? Is ASD pretty user friendly?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Scott B

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jorgeluisgdeaca
in reply to: Anonymous

Today ASD is similar to Tekla but 15 years ago.

If you read some topics here you can see tath the program you choose depends of many things, ASD is very practicai if you use Autodesk family programs also for small projects.

Unafortunately ASD is unusable for large projects (sometimes for middle projects). Plus ASD does not offer custom connections and (is my case) isn't too developed to work with 3 plates-tapered-plates girder profiles.
Please see the attached:

was made using Tekla in 6hs (the entire building), using ASD was made in 5hs but I cant continues because some connection are unusables or cannot be made.

Hope this help.

Message 3 of 8
philip.s

Hello Scott and welcome to the community!

As AutoCAD LT and AutoCAD Structural Detailing are separate programs, your LT usage will not be affected by 1) having ASD installed on the same computer, 2) when the 30 day trial runs out, or 3) if you choose to uninstall ASD.

I'd also like to confirm that AutoCAD Structural Detailing is in fact it's own standalone program and not an AutoCAD add-on.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: jorgeluisgdeaca

Thanks jorqeluisqdeaca,

Ya I know Tekla's pretty fast when you know how to use it. I got pretty spoiled with it. I see what your showing in the attach photo.

If I get some time I'll dig in to the board here to see what I can find.

Thanks Scott B

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: philip.s

Hey Philip,

Thanks for the info and good to here, as I want to try the trail version to see if its what we need here. Coming from the Teklastructures program it sounds like learning ASD shouldn't be that hard if we go that way.

So we don't need the full version of AutoCAD for ASD correct?

So if its a stand alone program what kind of price does it go for? Just a ball park figure would work. And does it include the tech support alone with yearly upgrades?

Also working for the state do we get a discount on it?

I need to make a point as to why we should upgrade to a better program.

Scott

Message 6 of 8
philip.s

You're very welcome Scott!

Correct that you don't need to download vanilla AutoCAD in order to utilize AutoCAD Structural Detailing.

In regards to the pricing and as you are a government employee, you would want to contact one (or more) of our Government Partners / Authorized Resellers listed here. In doing so you can specify that you would like multiple quotes, one with Subscription included (technical support + upgrades) and one without.

Hope that helps!

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: philip.s

OK I'll look in to it on pricing.

I was also wondering what the Rivet thing is? I keep reading and seeing stuff on it but don't understand what it is all about. Is it a add on for the ASD?

Scott

Message 8 of 8
philip.s

Nope. Revit is a separate standalone platform of different programs that are specifically built for Building Information Modeling (BIM), helping building professionals design, build, and maintain higher-quality, more energy-efficient buildings.

Revit Architecture

Revit MEP

Revit Structure

Revit - Combines the capabilities of Revit Architecture, Revit MEP, and Revit Structure software. Currently it's exclusively available in the Building Design Suite 2013 Premium and Ultimate editions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips