Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Degrading Image in Raster Design 2011

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
SteveinBrandon
1776 Views, 6 Replies

Degrading Image in Raster Design 2011

Experienced with AutoCAD but new to Raster Design. I have been attempting to edit a small 400kb uncompressed bitonal TIFF image that was scanned at 300 DPI. I am aligning the image to vector, cropping and combining with another image of the same size. As I work through this process the image has gradually become darker and the "noise" pixels are getting larger than 1 pixel. It is getting bad enough that some text that once was readable is no longer. I have not been able to find any settings that may affect this and am at a loss as to why this is happening. I have suspended using the software until I can determine a solution for fear of destroying a scanned image that cannot be replaced. Any help or suggestion would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
parkr4st
in reply to: SteveinBrandon

#1  backup the original so you can always start over        # 2 backup the  backup

did you try the despeckle cleanup tool? 

dave

Message 3 of 7

Steve we are a CAD shop in the NE, USA and have noticed the same issue with RD 2012 and also with 2011. So we went further and have discoverd that the change apparently was from 2010 to 2011. We can get the proper results on 2010 while with the same file in 2011 or 2012 we also get the added pixels. I have also submitted a tech support request to ACAD just today. so we'll wait and see.

It doesn't really want to make you keep current on software does it??

Jim

Message 4 of 7

Jim, did Autodesk ever get back to you? It is disappointing to learn that they had it right at one point only to make adjustments in the software that causes such degredation in the image that they become unusable. My old Paintshop Pro 4 does a better job handling this than RD 2011, or 2012 from what you have experienced. Unfortunately, I do not have the time or resources to check the various types of images and pixel densities to test the next version before I put it into production. Time may be better spent investigating software that will convert the images to vector and not bother with subscription renewals for RD. I've tried one but the resulting DWG was too large to be practical.

Message 5 of 7
O.Maille
in reply to: SteveinBrandon

Download GIMP - free picture editing tool and edit you scan until you have the two layers you need (background & foreground) the select the background layer using the selection tools (by colour or contigous region) invert the selection and the fill the selection in black. The fact raster design only really works on bitonal images makes it fairly useless except for adding coordinates to tifs

Message 6 of 7

We contacted Autodesk about this issue and their reply was............ wait for it

Use AutoCAD 2010.  Really?? Really? We paid for 2011 and 2012 and you say to use 2010?

Thanks, remind me where our subscription dollars are going?

Message 7 of 7
O.Maille
in reply to: snakerancher

"Thanks, remind me where our subscription dollars are going"

The ability to download 2010? Man Wink

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost