AutoCAD Raster Design Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing out Raster tif's other than deleting & Re-Inserting?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
CarlNelson
1069 Views, 4 Replies

Changing out Raster tif's other than deleting & Re-Inserting?

I do alot of copying of my dwg/tif to make my next set of files.  When one does that the dwg still remembers the last tif and will bring up that image inside of it.  So to be clear:

I create abc.dwg and abc.tif

I copy it to abc-demo.dwg and abc-demo.tif but abc-demo.dwg still remembers abc.tif.

The only way I have been able to bring in the abc-demo.tif is to delete the image, and insert the new one.

Please tell me there is some way to "edit" the properties somewhere to just change the filename within autocad to the new name.  I would have thought that the modify properties would have allowed one to "browse" to a different name and seems like the old autocad Image command would allow this.  But that command is missing now.

This is not just laziness, if I have to change or clean up the tif, to have it copied saves me work, also sometimes in resizing images from B size to D size make it nice to just copy the initial .dwg  I would like to be able to just browse to the filename and click the copied file not reinsert, which seems to not keep the insertion point and scale....

Even if I do a saveas in autocad and a saveas for the image file when brought up it still remembers the 1st image...

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CarlNelson
in reply to: CarlNelson

Wow, 5 years later and no answer on something so basic... one used to be able to go into Insert menu, External References, and change the Saved Path and bingo it found the .tif.... sure would like this answered!

Message 3 of 5
CSM_MAI

In ABC-demo.dwg ,type in XREF, go to the bottom of the dialog box to "Reference Details". For this example it will still say ABC as the Reference name. Change the reference name to ABC-demo, and then down in the "Saved Path" click in the box, and go the the file name. Add -demo to the ABC.tif file and press ENTER. The file it will look for should be ABC-demo.tif. I hope this helped. We do this process just about every day.

Message 4 of 5
CarlNelson
in reply to: CSM_MAI

Thank you very much... that works great! 

Funny thing is I used to use the menu "Insert" "External References" "Found at Path....." but in the previous version of Autocad one could not select the "..." to change the file... now that you showed me the EXREF way to do it ... now I found in AutoCAD 2012 it works the old way I did it too.... grrrr!

Thanks!

Also by now, I have gotten so used to making my demo, doing a autocad save-as, then a Raster Save-as... we'll this will help when I have to replace tifs though....  

Message 5 of 5
edjkirkley

Carl,
Just an idea here, Save a copy the Final image file in another Folder( Just for Safety) and Then Try using the "iembed" command.
At Least it will keep the image with the dwg.

If that is what you were asking...?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost