Did you mean: 

"File Not Valid"

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
MattHamby1
487 Views, 3 Replies

"File Not Valid"

Hello peoples!

I have a serious problem! We have some old files from 1996 that when we try to open them AutoCAD replies "file not valid", then goes back to the open window for file selection. I am uploading one of the files that I need for an update on that job, I would appreciate any help in retrieving this information.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Modman_4
in reply to: MattHamby1

Well Matt I gave it a shot on my 2010 with no luck, and even on my old 2000. Still a no go. Are you sure this was an AutoCAD dwg? Apparently some other programs use the .dwg extension but they aren't AutoCAD.

A few years ago I upgraded computers at home and used one of those programs for transferring supposably everything from old to new, including the operating system. It didn't work and I had to install a new one from scratch. Of course a lot of stuff did transfer but under the old attempt. Now it thinks I have 2 systems, and won't open any file from the old system, even though they have the same file extensions. Is your situation similar?
I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! 🙂
Message 3 of 4
MattHamby1

yeah, they are autocad files. evidently a lot of files were "corrupted" when the first "tech" guy archived everything, I was hoping that there may be a way to recover those files
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Your file contains no Header (open the file in Windows Notepad, good files
list AC and some digits as the first item in the first line).
I gave your file a shot in a non-Autodesk app the reads DWG files, no dice.

Sounds like your archiving method corrupted the file(s).

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report