AutoCAD R12/R13/R14 Archive

Reply
*Price, Gordon
Message 1 of 8 (67 Views)

qsave problems

67 Views, 7 Replies
01-06-2000 09:39 AM
Has anyone seen a situation where a drawing crashes, with no chance to save,
at the second save of the drawing? My client can some files that work fine
till that second save, then everything just goes away. His workaround for
now is to open a drawing, work until he needs to save, close, open again and
work to the next save. Not a very happy situation.
He is running R14.01 on NT4.0 SP4. I have verified that the offending
drawings don't have problems on other machines (similar NT machine and a
Win98 machine) but am not convinced it is not somehow a problem with the
file, as it only happens on certain files on his machine, not all files, not
random files, not certain files randomly, just certain files all the time.
Also, is there anyone at Autodesk who can look at problem files and see what
is to be seen? I could post something to customer files if needed.

Regards,
Gordon Price
*Allaire, Yves
Message 2 of 8 (67 Views)

Re: qsave problems

01-06-2000 11:09 AM in reply to: *Price, Gordon
I had similar problem when installing a new version of a third party app,
Gbound, it's now fixed with their help, do you have third app?

How about rights on the server, free space on disk Server/Local?

Gordon Price wrote:

> Has anyone seen a situation where a drawing crashes, with no chance to save,
> at the second save of the drawing? My client can some files that work fine
> till that second save, then everything just goes away. His workaround for
> now is to open a drawing, work until he needs to save, close, open again and
> work to the next save. Not a very happy situation.
> He is running R14.01 on NT4.0 SP4. I have verified that the offending
> drawings don't have problems on other machines (similar NT machine and a
> Win98 machine) but am not convinced it is not somehow a problem with the
> file, as it only happens on certain files on his machine, not all files, not
> random files, not certain files randomly, just certain files all the time.
> Also, is there anyone at Autodesk who can look at problem files and see what
> is to be seen? I could post something to customer files if needed.
>
> Regards,
> Gordon Price
*Price, Gordon
Message 3 of 8 (67 Views)

Re:

01-06-2000 03:34 PM in reply to: *Price, Gordon
Yves Allaire wrote in message
news:3874E875.B90BDBE9@lino.com...
> I had similar problem when installing a new version of a third party app,
> Gbound, it's now fixed with their help, do you have third app?
Yes, but the same drawings have no problems on other machines with the same
third party app. What ended up being the problem in your situation?

> How about rights on the server, free space on disk Server/Local?
Everything is local, with huge amounts of free disk space and ram.

Not much elaboration, but I will keep my fingers crossed that it means
something to someone :smileywink:

regards,
Gordon Price
*Price, Gordon
Message 4 of 8 (67 Views)

qsave problems Urgent!!!

01-06-2000 10:31 PM in reply to: *Price, Gordon
I am hoping someone has some ideas on the topic. My client wants the problem
solved tomorrow (Friday), and short of some hint driven by experience, I
will start with replaceing templates, then move to reinstalling Acad, then
NT. I would rather avoid those last two if there is an easier solution :smileywink:

Crossing my fingers some out there has some ideas!

Regards,
Gordon Price
*Dotson, Terry W.
Message 5 of 8 (67 Views)

Re: qsave problems

01-07-2000 03:19 AM in reply to: *Price, Gordon
Gordon Price wrote:

> Has anyone seen a situation where a drawing crashes, with no chance to save,
> at the second save of the drawing? My client can some files that work fine
> till that second save, then everything just goes away.

One of my favorite procedures for a misbehaving drawing is to:

1) Open the drawing.
2) If Paper Space used then ...
2a) Switch to paper space.
2b) Wblock all geometry to a temp drawing called PAPER.
2c) Switch back to model.
3) Wblock all geometry to a temp drawing called MODEL.
4) Begin a new empty drawing.
5) Insert at 0,0,0 with the explode toggle on, the MODEL drawing.
6) If Paper Space used then ...
6a) Switch to paper space.
6b) Insert at 0,0,0 with the explode toggle on, the PAPER drawing.
6c) Use the MVIEW On option to revive the zombie viewports.
7) Save the drawing with a different name (like JOB2.DWG) and work
with it until it proves stable.

Good Luck, Terry
*Allaire, Yves
Message 6 of 8 (67 Views)

Re:

01-07-2000 05:04 AM in reply to: *Price, Gordon
Did you try DXFout your drawing and dxfin, it worked for me for some drawings
that, after one Erase command, would crash doing a Zoom Extend!

Hope this helps.

"Terry W. Dotson" wrote:

> Gordon Price wrote:
>
> > Has anyone seen a situation where a drawing crashes, with no chance to save,
> > at the second save of the drawing? My client can some files that work fine
> > till that second save, then everything just goes away.
>
> One of my favorite procedures for a misbehaving drawing is to:
>
> 1) Open the drawing.
> 2) If Paper Space used then ...
> 2a) Switch to paper space.
> 2b) Wblock all geometry to a temp drawing called PAPER.
> 2c) Switch back to model.
> 3) Wblock all geometry to a temp drawing called MODEL.
> 4) Begin a new empty drawing.
> 5) Insert at 0,0,0 with the explode toggle on, the MODEL drawing.
> 6) If Paper Space used then ...
> 6a) Switch to paper space.
> 6b) Insert at 0,0,0 with the explode toggle on, the PAPER drawing.
> 6c) Use the MVIEW On option to revive the zombie viewports.
> 7) Save the drawing with a different name (like JOB2.DWG) and work
> with it until it proves stable.
>
> Good Luck, Terry
*Allaire, Yves
Message 7 of 8 (67 Views)

Re:

01-07-2000 05:07 AM in reply to: *Price, Gordon
With Gbound, when selecting the object AutoCAD would Dissapear completely
(Vanish) from memory, leaving no trace.

I called Tech Support (Gbound) and we found out that it must be from a
currupted download file, they E-Mailed me a new one.

But if you don't have a third party app running, this can't be your case.

Good Luck.

Gordon Price wrote:

> Yves Allaire wrote in message
> news:3874E875.B90BDBE9@lino.com...
> > I had similar problem when installing a new version of a third party app,
> > Gbound, it's now fixed with their help, do you have third app?
> Yes, but the same drawings have no problems on other machines with the same
> third party app. What ended up being the problem in your situation?
>
> > How about rights on the server, free space on disk Server/Local?
> Everything is local, with huge amounts of free disk space and ram.
>
> Not much elaboration, but I will keep my fingers crossed that it means
> something to someone :smileywink:
>
> regards,
> Gordon Price
*Price, Gordon
Message 8 of 8 (67 Views)

Re:

01-07-2000 07:46 AM in reply to: *Price, Gordon
Yves Allaire wrote in message
news:3875E50B.647F32A2@lino.com...
> With Gbound, when selecting the object AutoCAD would Dissapear completely
> (Vanish) from memory, leaving no trace.
>
> I called Tech Support (Gbound) and we found out that it must be from a
> currupted download file, they E-Mailed me a new one.
So it was related to working with objects from the 3rd party app? It does
sound like it can't be a 3rd party thing, just because I cannot imagine a
need to change save functions for a 3rd party app.
I am hoping that I can narrow it down to a bad template or two that is
creating all these bad files, then just replace the template. It would still
be nice to know what, inside of Acad, is going on, tho'.

Thanks for the info.

Gordon

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community




Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube