Unable to open DWG file copied from backup CD

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
MRookyard
625 Views, 4 Replies

Unable to open DWG file copied from backup CD

Good morning

I am writing this on behalf of a friend who is an autcad r13 user,

He took a backup of his dawings some time ago to a CD written on a Windows 95 machine. Unfortunately, he recently had a disk crash and has lost the drive. I have tried to recover the drawings from the CD but, although they appear to copy ok and seem to be the expected size and so on, Autocad is unable to open the files, it says that they are invalid.

Can you help?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Charles_Shade
in reply to: MRookyard

Just read a little on a Google seach for invalid files.

Have you tried opening them using Trueview?

Or from the disk and not a copy of the disk?

The real downside is that the files are likely gone.

Message 3 of 5
MRookyard
in reply to: Charles_Shade

The strange thing is that all of the DWG files in one folder give the same problem: Other DWG files on the CD (in other folders) can be opened. I have installed Trueview and the same applies with this. I have tried copying files from the CD onto the HDD but it makes no difference. There are also .BAK files for each of the drawings. I have tried copying these and renaming them to .DWG files - same problem. Can anyone suggest anything else I might try?

Just in case, I have added one of the problem drawings as an attachment here.

Message 4 of 5
pendean
in reply to: MRookyard

Your posted file is completely destroyed, no header: unrecoverable. Bad CD or you copied a dead set of files.

Message 5 of 5
MRookyard
in reply to: pendean

Ok, not good then!

I know all of the files on the HDD that were backed up to the CD were fine and working, I am just surprised that all of the files in this folder on the CD cannot be accessed when others can. Can anyone suggest anything else I might try?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report