Did you mean: 

Title block won't print?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
4877 Views, 5 Replies

Title block won't print?

Hi,

Using R14, template I can see and edit title block in paper space and in model space if I simply draw a rectangle I can see and print this fine. When I switch to paper space and print preview or print produces nothing but an empty page. I am trying to print the title block and my drawing.

I have setup my machine to print using a HP laserjet PS driver which is an A4 printer - could this be the problem? as my template was for A3.

thanks

giggler
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Your content is on a noplot layer, or defpoints layer.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Dean,

Thanks. It didn't seem to be a layer problem, "audit" finds no issues. I created a new drawing from scratch, added a new layer and used this to draw on.

I've had some success but its taken ages to figure it and turned out to be a plotter configuration issue. I had the scale set 25.4printed to every 1 model unit which produced a huge drawing, one that wouldn't fit on the page. Even when I draw a rectangle, it was so large and off the plot area that I never saw it.

Now plot scale is 1:1 with paper/screen. Ok what I want to do is figure out how to set this up correctly - the plotter configuration I mean. With a scale of 1:1, I assumed the stock/sample templates for title blocks would fit correctly on a plotted page. Some of the templates suggest they are A4 or A3 for example but the title block is misaligned in print preview. If I set the printed to 2:1 model unit I see the entire title block but its to small. I am trying to get a plotted image representing the correct scale, so if I've scaled my view to 1/100th then I'd expect that same scale in the plot. How you cad professionals do it, I really don't know, didn't figure it would be this hard.

giggler
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

AUDIT will not 'fix' a user setting: a layer setting you set to either
noplot, or if your content is on DEFPOINTS layer is not an error. Those are
user settings you control.

If copying to a new file fixed it, you may have simply bypassed the original
issue, which can be a good thing :))

Are you trying to avoid using paperspace? Sounds like you are just plotting
from modelspace.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Dean,

I want to use model space as I have been in the design (through a viewport placed on paper space) and then print paper space since it contains the views and title block. I don't know any other way to print a title block and views as I am new to cad?

Previously I seem to have had an issue with plotter configuration. I still think it's not setup correctly and am not sure what to set plot scale to. If I now start a new document with din A3 template, I would assume I could print/plot my paper space on two A4 pages, since the plotter driver is for a post laser script printer that can only handle A4. As A3 is double A4 and the template setup the draw extent to A3, I assume if I configure the plotter scale to 1:2 model space units with 90degree rotation then the A3 title block and view within should fit into one A4 page but.... it looks like the plot scale is some arbitrary configuration that I must frigg about with until the title block plots correctly as it doesn't fit the A4 page in print preview, kind of to small? It should do since I can measure the title block and going by the plot scale it should fit, i'd of thought.

I know its an old version of autocad (R14) that I'm using but I thought it was a little bit more user friendly and self setup then this? at least for the plotter settings anyhow.

I believe my layers were ok, just when I went to plot it before I found the plot scale option set to large, it would draw things on the print preview so large that I wouldn't see anything (line drawings), unless I draw it really small in model space because of the plot scale applied in print preview.

giggler
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

I am having a similar problem as gigler. My title block will not plot. I have it on the same layer as my border, my border plots out fine. Nothing is set to nonplot or a defpoints layer. I'm thourghly confused. I don't think it's a layer issue. I think it's an R14 needs to die issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report