Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R14 & Windows Vista

145 REPLIES 145
Message 1 of 146
mateo d
38535 Views, 145 Replies

R14 & Windows Vista

Hello, Is it possible to run Release 14 on windows vista?
145 REPLIES 145
Message 81 of 146
Ed_S
in reply to: mateo d

I installed from the CD, and used "Program Files" (not x86).
Message 82 of 146
jambuch

Ed_s:

It looks like I am out of luck. I have the 64 bit VISTA with a quad processor and 8G of memory. The best that I can find out this version of VISTA does not support 16bit programs. That is what I am told when try to srart Setup.exe from the AutoCAD cd. Thought there might be a way around it but it looks like processor and the large memory has done me in. I am assuming that you must have a Core2 Dual Processor with 3G memory. I think that this combination will support both 16 bit and 64 bit programs

I am thinking of seeing if I can install virtural support and reload Windows XP

If you know something that I don't then let me know other wise I will asume that my VISTA won't support AutoCAD R14. I don't know where to find out if R14 is a 16 bit applicatiion. But after looking at the installer exe it looks to be 16bit. Been out of the computer business to long. Use to support the BIOS code for IBM notebook computers.

Jim
Message 83 of 146
Ed_S

Yes, core2duo & a few GB of ram, with Vista 64bit Basic edition.

It doesn't make sense to me that your 64 bit Vista would disallow r14 installation because of your processor and ram config, but it is microsoft so logic is optional. It seems like it would be easy enough to pull some of that 'extra' memory and try the install with your pc dummed down a bit.
Message 84 of 146
mao_07

hi!... pls i really need a help.......... please...........

how can i make this AutoCAD R14 work?.. i don't know what to do.... and i read the previous reply in forum but i didn't got it right...

how can i change or replace the SH31W32.dll files??... help me pls... i'm only 17 years old.. i need help....

e-mail me in mao_rong712@yahoo.com

plssss.... i'm begging u guys to help me... pls...

thanks.... ^_^
Message 85 of 146
mao_07

hi!... pls i really need a help.......... please...........

how can i make this AutoCAD R14 work?.. i don't know what to do.... and i read the previous reply in forum but i didn't got it right...

how can i change or replace the SH31W32.dll files??... help me pls... i'm only 17 years old.. i need help....

e-mail me in mao_rong712@yahoo.com

plssss.... i'm begging u to help me... pls...

thanks.... ^_^
Message 86 of 146
jambuch

For those of you who have Vista 64 bit I was unable to install AutoCad release 14 because the distribution disk that I have has a 16 bit installer but Autocad Rel 14 is a 32 bit application. Why Autodesk used a 16 bit installer one doesn't know. Microsoft in their wisdom removed the 16bit support in Vista 64 bit machines. This may be due to the fact that with the 64 bit support they can address above 3 Gb of memory.

After the above comments I do have it running on my 64bit Vista. I copied all of the associated files from my XP 32 bit system to my Vista 64 bit system. I copied them to I directory C:\Program Files\AutoCAD R14 , This got me around the 16 bit installer problem. Then I made the SH31W32.DLL replacement as discussed earlier. Then I located ACADAUT.REG file on the distribution CD and ran it causing the registery to be updated. Then I tried to start Autocad rel 14 from the C:\Program Files\Autocadr14\acad14 . It told me I was missing the heidi3.dll. I located it on my xp system and copied it to a new directory (just for it) that I made in directory where I had copied auto cad modules for the XP system. Microsoft has a picking order which they use to locate missing modules which normally begins in the application directory. Been out of this business for 12 years now.

Ok Now I was able to start Autocad but OPEN under FILE does not work. It just doesn't work. No error. But if you have an old AutoCAD File that you want to open then drag and drop it and it will open it. I wanted access to my old design file for my Climax locomotive I have met my goal so I stoped here.

If someone else goes down this path and finds a soultion to the Open problem please let me know.

WORD OF WARNING. I put this ou the forum for information purposes only. PROCEED WITH CAUTION IF YOU TRY THIS.

Jim

jambuch@insightbb.com
Message 87 of 146
snaillich

Thank you very much. The replacemnt of the dll file worked perfectly
Message 88 of 146
INKYWHAT

It does work. But for all you who still may be confused (like me) -- take the old sh31w32.dll file form the base r14 directory and rename or move it to a backup directory. Copy the new sh31w32.dll file from the zip file farther up this thread to the base r14 directory. That's it. Tadaa.
Message 89 of 146
barrettlake

HELP my tosiba died, and now I have a Gateway running VISTA. It will not run the install from my R14 disks...any suggestions?
Message 90 of 146
thycorndog

Can you help me? I cant find SH31W32.dll file in the r14 folder where is it?

What do you mean by take backup?

and how do you replace SH31W32.dll files that works with vista?
Message 91 of 146
thycorndog

How do you move the file to a directory? What does that mean?

Whats the base r14 directory?
Message 92 of 146
HydroTek

Soo ..due to a hard drive crash I had to reinstall R14 on my Vista box, I had forgotten about the SH31W32.dll thing untill I tried to start the program. With just a little searching, I came across this thread, the very same one that gave such good information about 2 years ago. I found the link and downloaded the new file, and it worked just as it did before ...many thanks to the ones that have taken the time to research the problem.

Now to all those who still haven't got a clue how to make R14 and Vista play nice together:: Can you not read, or what?
The information on how to fix this is in several posts and the file is available in two places in this thread. Please take the time to READ, I find it disapointing that people are still asking for help with this fix ...since it was answered way back in May 2007.
Message 93 of 146
Fatstrippa

Hi
The change of dll file has allowed me to start the R14 on Vista, but I receive the warning on startup that the Registry has not been updated.
I have followed the other ideas suggested to rectify this with no avail. When I open R14 in Vista, it will not allow me to modify existing drawings, they only open as "read only". I have been into the progam file properties to attempt to change the permissions, but they appear to allow full control for all the listed group and users.

I read a suggestion about moving a registry file from XP, but I cannot find the registry in my XP PC.
Can anybody help? Simple terms only, how to rectify the registry problem and how to change from read only to full operation.

Thanks
Message 94 of 146
barrettlake

Yes, I can read. I simply asked the question before I did. Anyway, I am now up and running R14 on Vista, with one new problem. The menu load fails upon opening ACAD. The error indicates that the acad.mnu is not where it is suppose to be, but it is there. Any suggestions? And yes, I will read before I ask again.
Message 95 of 146
HydroTek

barrettlake ...my comments were not aimed specifically at you ..please read the ones before yours, Those were the ones I aimed my keyboard at.

I have Vista32 Home Premium, running on the admin account (and the stupid allow/deny windows thing is disabled). I done a full install of R14, with all the default settings, the only thing I have changed was to replace the .dll with the one in this thread. I can open, modify, and print all the drawings that I have made, even those from last year.

Not sure what the difference in yours and my computer is.

PS: Tried it on an old XP computer with the same results. /shrug/
Message 96 of 146
cannon30

I am computer dum. How do I load Acad 14? When i put the master disk in i get 'The program of feature "\??\E;\Setup.exe cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit version of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible verson is avabilable." and it will go no further. I have down loaded the SH31W32.dll file. Will some one please help me.
Message 97 of 146
cannon30

Copyed Acad14 from my old xp system to new one Copyed the SH31W32.DLL file and made all files ritetable and ran acadaut.reg
tryed starting ACAD came up Failed to update the system registry please try using REGEDIT. I do not know how to do then it whent to unable to load the specifdied HEIDI driver module gdifont3.hdi then next i got Fatal Error cant start display driver please help cannon30@msn.com Edited by: cannon30 on Mar 26, 2009 12:48 AM
Message 98 of 146
cannon30

GOT IT WORKING worked all night but now it works. Think I will get drunk now
Message 99 of 146
HydroTek

Glad you were able to get it working, ...how about sharing your solution with the rest.
Message 100 of 146
cannon30

Not working right when i go to Modify Matchprop i get matchprop unknown command "MATCHPROP"
HELP PLEASE

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report