Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad14 & WIN-7

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
reevesjo
5107 Views, 6 Replies

AutoCad14 & WIN-7

Two more questions (well maybe more).  Does anyone have experience installing R14 on a  WIN-7 PRO with the XP MODE option?  I presently have my R14 seccessfully installed on an XP Home Edition.  The ads for WIN-7 PRO say older programs can be run in WIN-7 with the XP MODE.  Just wondering if R14 is one of them?  And then the next question:   32 bit vs 64 bit?

Thanks again, Joe

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
bgingerich
in reply to: reevesjo

XP-mode is 32bit (and if I'm not mistaken XP in general is 32bit).  Or are you asking about Win7: 64bit is where everything is going, especially in CAD and other applications that are intensive

Personally, I have succesfully installed 2000i on xpmode with no problems so far.  Guessing r14 will to.  Just to warn you, do not expect a1 perfomance in a virtual environment ever.

(if ("mysolution"=answer) then (click "Accept As Solution"))
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Brandon Gingerich
Message 3 of 7
reevesjo

I actually have two options. 

1. My desktop computer is two years old with WIN-7 Home edition.  It is 64bit.

2. I just purchased an HP laptop with WIN-8 Home edition.  It too, is 64bit.

I see problems with both options.  Option #2, I think, would require going back to WIN-7 PRO; which would be pretty expensive.  Option #1, I think, would require updating to WIN-7 PRO.  Then, I think, that  XP MODE UPGRADE is also required for either of the options.  And, I don't understand if 64bit and/or 32bit is a problem.  I am retired and do not make my living with AutoCad.  I bought R14 a few years ago right after I retired from GM and woked on contract for another period of time.  I just like to solve some of my problems with AutoCad.  I hate to give it up.  I did have R14 working properly on my "old" laptop with WIN XP Home edition.  The laptop got flaky and newer computer technology is about to pass me by with this edition of R14.

Message 4 of 7
bgingerich

Do you still have the installation disks for winxp?  If you do, just download a free virtual machine (eg. vmware) and install xp on that.  Not sure if anything like that is compatable with win8 but definatly with win7.

Otherwise, yes, an upgrade to win7 pro is neccessary.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Brandon Gingerich
Message 5 of 7
reevesjo

Brandon, I hate to keep bothering you, but I need another clue.  I still have the WIN-XP installation discs.  The VMware webpage indicates it will work with WIN-8.  However, I am not sure which download I should try.  Maybe both?  Thanks for your patience. This is new ground for me.  Joe

Binary DetailsVMware Player for Windows 32-bit and 64-bit File NameVMware-player-5.0.1-894247.exe Build Number894247 Release Date2012-11-06 CHECKSUMSMD5SUM: 4919e442e80044e58e25a8a0706c2aff SHA1SUM: b6515b282b7f2fbf2e1ce27e6537f234d3198f53

Binary DetailsVMware VIX API for Windows 32-bit and 64-bit File NameVMware-VIX-1.12.1-894247.exe Build Number894247 Release Date2012-11-06 CHECKSUMSMD5SUM: 837eb8d0ec32af571a3b8dd01b52deac SHA1SUM: 33e5021bd97b363f405da7d05b41880cfa35b189

Message 6 of 7
bgingerich

Sorry, I mispoke myself without looking at what I had (it's oracle virtualbox not vmware).  Just click on this link and download the binary exe for windows hosts.  It is for all windows os's (xp, vista, 7, and 8).  Not exactly sure how to install it from cd's, but I know that you can do it.  HTH

Brandon Gingerich
Message 7 of 7
reevesjo

Thanks bgingerich,

I took a quick look.  I downloaded the manual, which you can to without the program.  It is 318 pages long.  This may (will) take awhile for the old man to digest.  Don't look for me back here very soon.  You did your job, thanks.

Joe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report