Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any old Autocad R12 Machine for sale?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
RyoHazuki89
3039 Views, 17 Replies

Any old Autocad R12 Machine for sale?

My dad has a PhD in architecture but can't learn Autocad R14. I've been trying to setup AutoCad R12 (what he's used to) on an old Windows 98 SE machine for the past two nights. I can't get passed "FATAL ERROR: !PMSDOSA 3" and there's like 3 failed threads on the internet pertaining to this. I even tried to translate a Russian thread.

Please, if anyone has a machine with Autocad R12 on it running solid for sale, e-mail me at ryohazuki89@gmail.com

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
pendean
in reply to: RyoHazuki89

There are many free CAD programs for Windows that look and act like R12, try them out.

What's throwing the old man off, is it Windows or what? You can make R14 look like R12 otherwise, it's not that hard. But if it's Windows he has issues with, you got bigger problems.

Message 3 of 18
RyoHazuki89

How do I make Autocad R14 to look like R12?

What are the name of these free programs you speak of?

It's not Windows that bothers him, when I ask him he just says "it's different."

Message 4 of 18
Patchy

Yup, it's different.

R12 with DOS base there was no icons, either click on the command title, or type in a command, or use a tablet. To draw a line one have to type in length and direction

with R14, icons, viewports, drag your mouse to the direction and give the length.

Message 5 of 18
mmelechinsky

Your best bet is Windows 2.0 or if you have the DOS version of AutoCAD r12 try MS-DOS 4.0 or 5.0.

Message 6 of 18
pendean

"different" means fear of the unknown: training from someone his age is what's needed.

I've never met a true R12DOS power user that could not master R12/13/14 Windows, so I suspect more than anything he's a hunt-for-it-at-the-exact-spot kind of user, so your task is to find the old R1`2 setup and mimic it 100% identically to match.

Turn off all toolbars, turn on the sidebar menu and that's about as close as you can come with R14. Start editing the MNU/MNS file to mimic his old R12 setup.

Message 7 of 18
RyoHazuki89

How do I know if I have the DOS version or Windows version? I do know the setup opens in a DOS box saying "Autocad 386" on the top.

Message 8 of 18
mmelechinsky

Windows utilizes a GUI (graphic user interface) while DOS doesn't.

Message 9 of 18
mmelechinsky
in reply to: mmelechinsky

Do you even have a folder named "Windows" on your hard drive?

Message 10 of 18
RyoHazuki89

Hahaha, no I'm asking how do I know if I have the DOS version or Windows version of AUTOCAD R12. It's 13 floppy disks, and the setup opens in a dos box. 

Message 11 of 18
Patchy

Read the label

Message 12 of 18
RyoHazuki89
in reply to: Patchy

The ones I have are old copies. All I have is a legit serial #. Is there a difference in the interface between the DOS and Windows version? I know my dad used to run it on Windows 3.1. The mouse works in the DOS version, right? *scratches head*

Message 13 of 18
Patchy

Yes the mouse works with DOS, a problem I had with setting up r12 was the video driver, without the instructions I can't remember what the command was.

Maybe it's in the readme.txt after installed.

Message 14 of 18
mmelechinsky

This seems way more complicated than it needs to be.

I have Release 11 on several 5.25" floppies and they are plainly labeled with the words "DOS 386".  I also have another set of disks, same size, still in their shrink wrap, labeled "Release 11 c2 Extension for Windows".  Aren't your disks labeled? 

Message 15 of 18
RyoHazuki89

Nope. Like I said they are copies of the original R12 discs.

Will Autocad provide me a new set of R12 disks if I provide them our serial #? It is a legit serial # and it should bring up his name/company name behind it if they sill keep a database for that sort of thing...

Message 16 of 18
mmelechinsky

No.  AutoDesk will not provide you with new disks.  R12 like so many other versions is no longer supported.

Why not just take the plunge and try installing what you have?  In the time it took to have this entire conversation you would have had an answer.

1. Disks are so old there was a problem and the program could not be installed.

2. Program installed as the DOS version.

3. Program installed as the Windows version.

They are no other outcomes.

Message 17 of 18
easymike299

The error "FATAL ERROR: !PMSDOSA 3" seems to be associated with the PHARLAP.386 file. If you don't have the C3 patch installed it could be the problem.

Gene

Message 18 of 18
pendean
in reply to: easymike299

>>>...My dad has a PhD in architecture but can't learn Autocad R14...<<<

One word: INTERN. Check your local trade / community college school teaching AutoCAD for candidates.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report