AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

control valves - normally closed

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
pexa
2687 Views, 6 Replies

control valves - normally closed

Is there any way to set a control valve to "normally closed" setting and have it change (i.e. filled in) like the hand valves do?  Any work arounds?  One thought was to just edit the valve but since the acutator and valve are connected as a group it won't let me edit the valve.

I am using plant 2014

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
btrevena
in reply to: pexa

Hi,

You can associate your preferred valve body block styles with a Normally property symbol list.

See the attached image for an example that has just 2 valve blocks styles added for Knife Gate NC and NO. 

Bruce

Message 3 of 7
RichO
in reply to: btrevena

Unfortunately the normally state does not work with control valves ... as per https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-plant-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

The only workaround Ive been able to find seems rediculaously long winded requiring many hours of work and completely negates the control valve module of the software ... http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-plant-3d-forum/setting-no-nc-state-of-combined-with-easy-subti...

Ok ... im hoping there has been a better solution developed or the control valves fixed to allow the normally state

does ANYONE have a solution or should i just forget about control valves all together and spend the time to build control 'hand valves'

Message 4 of 7
johnvoigt

If you look in the project setup you can see that under hand valves there is a normally property with a selection list of types of openings. If you expand instrumentation and go to the inline instruments you can and add that property as a selection list you can create a new selection list with the types of openings. once you place the control valve you can right click on it and ungroup it from the actuator and then right click on the valve again and edit the p&id block. In the block editor you can hatch the inside of the valve. For long term for this you can add a new valve to the project so that it is an option to choose from when placing it.

John Voigt

ECAD, Inc.
Tips and Tricks on our blog: Process Design, from the Outside
A P3D Authorized Reseller
Message 5 of 7
RichO
in reply to: johnvoigt

Thanks John,

I know how to set the NC state, the problem is that its function conflicts with 'control valves' and makes them not work correctly, (you get an incorrect body and the substitution palette shows instruments instead of valve bodies ... Take a look at the first link I posted

It makes me wonder if anyone at Autodesk actually thinks about how the program gets used in industry as opposed to just making things look like a good idea for a sales brochure

Ok ... further investigation ...

If I place a control valve it shows as gate valve body, click to change valve body and the instruments substittuion palette shows ... PROBLEM

If I place a ball valve then right click 'convert to control valve' it now turns into a control valve BUT this time the body substitution palette works correctly ... TAADAAA

Regards,

Richard

Message 6 of 7
johanl
in reply to: RichO

Hi,

LazCadBrowser mentioned in the knowledgebase is not availible any longer. Do anyone know where to find it. I also have the control valve issue.

Best regards

//Johan

BIM Manager, KeyPlants

Tags (2)
Message 7 of 7
imvida

Hi,

A possible solution is using Ctrl+Left Cross Selection to select the valve body only, then you'll be able to change its Normally Status via PP or right click menu.

1.png2.png

Regards,

David

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost