AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change/customize the project folder structure?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
phil.cooper
1417 Views, 7 Replies

change/customize the project folder structure?

Is there a way of customizing or changing the project folder structure.

I have attached a screenshot of the standard P3D folder strucutre and one of our companies standard folder structure.

Is it possible to modify it or change it in any way?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cadwomen
in reply to: phil.cooper

it is possibel, but dont do it !

dot () and ~ are to bad

cu cw

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
Message 3 of 8
phil.cooper
in reply to: cadwomen

Hi,

Why are you saying not to do it?

Message 4 of 8
cadwomen

half the truth

Wikipedia

cw

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
Message 5 of 8
phil.cooper

the link is just explaining what a filename is. i dont see the relevance?

Message 6 of 8
cadwomen

it is hart to explain for me

"When they allow any Unicode character, some file system utilities and naming conventions prohibit some particular characters from appearing in filenames"

" Windows, the filenames "." and ".." have special meanings (current and parent directory respectively"

and it will make toubel , belive it or not  or mayby someone are able to expain it better .

cw

Luchtime Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
dave.wolfe

For Folder names and file names, best practice is to avoid special characters.  While Windows may allow it, not all programs and/or parts of Windows can handle special charactors in the file names.  For example, one client had issues with his project manager, because his project started with #. When he would open drawings, it would say the drawing is not in the project.

So...stick to dashes and/or underscores for the best results.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 8 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Full stops "." usually work, except for some older programs which only expect them to delineate file extensions.  But otherwise, I agree on the special characters.  Wildcard searches usually stumble over these characters.  Not sure about REGEX based comparisons, though, which may explain why they work with some programs and not others.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost