AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work in the same project in a distance...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bogdanov.y
645 Views, 6 Replies

Work in the same project in a distance...

Hello,

my another question: is posible to work in the same project in diferent paces? For example, one part of people work in the office of the plant and other part of people work in another office (in other city). Which solution of Autodesk exist for this kind of work?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
PeterQuinn
in reply to: bogdanov.y

As with many things, the answer is "it depends".

The simplest thing to do is to create a copy of the project in each office and send drawings back and forth.  There are other options for larger projects.

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
bogdanov.y

Send drawings is not a better solution. I need to have usualy sincronization without people work. Is posible to use Vault to manage all drawings and then for manage specs and other configuration files use FTP? In this case I thinks that the Vault Collaboration is the best, is there?

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
jwrampe

Actually dealt with this problem a little differently:  

1. Install all catalogs on a network accessible location and point all users registry to that location
  2. Create local virtual machines for the users to connect to the project.  P3D project traffic is on the local network and the users only need to pass screen shots using remote desktop/vmware/citrix over your WAN.  Could also be done with remote hardware instead of VM.
  3. Upgrade the plant to SQL server.  We realized some speed increases for the remote users since the SQL server traffic was split out from the file server traffic.  It appeared to be more stable as well, but it was also a large project.

Using this method, we were actually able to have "live" XREFs for coordination throughout the project.  We have not used Vault, but I've heard of others who wanted to use it with P3D.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 7
Layout-Bob
in reply to: jwrampe

Hi. Could you explain more in-depth at your step nr 2? Isnt it a to slow refreshrate on remote services like that?

We have an consultant at the office a couple of days of the week. Other days in another city. She has a routine of making a local copy of the project to her computer, and accesses the SQL via VPN. When she arrives the office she copies all files back to the server. This seems to work well most of the time, but makes her drawings "dead" while she is not at the office. I think it also is important that me or others do not access "her" DWG's while she is not in the office.

Any better solutions out there?

Message 6 of 7
jwrampe
in reply to: Layout-Bob

It's really going to depend on your available bandwidth across the WAN.  We're in the process of a significant upgrade, but even at 6 Mbps over my VPN connection from home, it was fine.  Not perfect, but still workable.  It was a concession we were willing to make to maintain "live" working files for XREF and not get the model files out of sync with the project data.

Message 7 of 7
andre.a.de.souza
in reply to: jwrampe

I know it is an old post but could you let me know if you are using NVidia Grid technology and Plant 3d is actually installed on the server?

I would be interested to know on performance producing orthos ans any other issues.

Can you share this information?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost