AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wish: Template Improvement

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
cuttingedgeplumbing
467 Views, 2 Replies

Wish: Template Improvement

Ability to load equipment templates created from converted equipment
Templates seem to work great for equipment which was created via the paremetric method, but not for 'converted' equipment. Here's an example.

a. Create a basic autocad solid
c. Select it and run _PlantEquipmentConvert
d. Choose an equipment type from the window, hit 'Select'
e. Click somewhere on the base of the object to define a base point.
f. Click triple really fast in the blank square inside the 'Nozzles' window and note with glee the 'Modify Equiptment - Unhandled exception has occured....' error window, and hit 'Continue' to close it.
g. Click the 'Add' button.
i. Click the (Select) button on the right hand side and click on a nozzle.
j. Click the Select button to confirm the nozzle you decided upon.
k. Click on the (Mark) button on the right hand side.
l. Click on some side of your autocad object to define where to place the nozzle.
m. Click again to define which direction your nozzle should be facing.
n. Now click the Templates button on the lower left of the 'Modify Equipment' window.
o. Name your template something like 'testbug'.
p. Hit the 'Save' button.
q. Click on the newly added equipment in your drawing.
r. Note how that the center blue dot and the Plus symbol (and the disconnected pipe symbol) are WAY off your equipment shape. Take a deep breath and wonder if it has something to do with the planet alignment and the fact your equipment was not sitting right at 0,0,0, then ignore it.
s. Tap the Delete key to erase your custom equipment from the modeling space.
t. Click the 'Create Equipment' button.
u. Click the 'Templates' button.
v. Click on the testbug from the dropdown.
w. Click the 'Create' button in an attempt to create this equipment.
x. Note the BRIGHT RED alert, and trace it see that the Location of the nozzle is now in question. How odd.
y. Click the (Mark) button. Oh, the window closes and puts you back at the prompt. What fun!
-- Now lets try a new method to use the template --
a. Create a basic solid again.
b. Click on it and hit the 'Convert Equipment' button.
c. Choose the same equipment type as you did for the template (just to be on the safe side) and hit Select.
d. Choose a base point.
e. Now click the Templates button.
f. Click 'testbug'.
g. Note how another alert saying 'Load Error' "Equipment type mismatch. Could not load template." appears. I thought for sure we'd selected the same equipment type. Yup, I'm sure we did. So why is this appearing?

Is there really no way to re-use converted equipment made from ACAD objects using templates? The help file clearly states "To use this piece of equipment and its data as a template for other equipment pieces, do the following", but I can't find anywhere that it tells us how to actually use the template made from the converted objects.

Or perhaps I have no idea what I'm doing. Could someone show me how to use a template which was originally defined from converted objects?
Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi, I'm a member of the AutoCAD Plant 3D documentation team, and I hope I'll be able to help you after doing a bit of research. You've described the problem very well--a clear step-by-step account. That will help me as I try to reproduce the problem and talk to other experts here.

On the face of it, It sounds like you have found an issue that needs further documenting. That's great, as I'm always looking for ways of improving the Help!

I'll get back to you when I finish my research. I hope I can help.

Joan Robins
Sr Technical Writer
Plant Solutions

Joan Robins
Sr Technical Writer
Autodesk Plant Solutions - AEC
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 3

After a bit of research I discovered that you did indeed run into several defects that we know about. Fixes are definitely in the works!

Judging from your clear descriptions of the issues, I would say that you would be a valuable tester for our next Beta release, if you're interested. You can go to [ http://beta.autodesk.com/] to sign up.

Regards,

Joan Robins
Sr Technical Writer
Plant Solutions

Joan Robins
Sr Technical Writer
Autodesk Plant Solutions - AEC
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost