AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wish List AutoCAD Plant3D 2014

199 REPLIES 199
Message 1 of 200
ybogdanov
13556 Views, 199 Replies

Wish List AutoCAD Plant3D 2014

I turn to say the same like in the previous wish lists, and I hope that the developer team will help:

- Cable Trays for Plant 3D! It's imposible to design Industry Plant without this component.

- Better Ortho generation: auto dimensions, auto anotation, view hide pipes,...

- Any basic civil modelation (e.g. walls in 3D with special hatch pattern in ortho)

- Better structural modelation (the same like in Structural Detailing)

- Better P&ID integration on 3D, e.g. equipment list P&ID in 3D for insert it

Those functions now exist in AutoCAD MEP and Structural Detailing, I think that it will be good solution to integrate the same in Plant3D and convert it in the best Plant software. Because the integration between ASD, Plant3D and MEP it's not good, is not posible have all objects in the same database. It will be better,  to have all Plant solutions in the same softare and in the same database, where with one changing workspace you can design: structural, cable trays, pipes, civil, and after this generate ortho views with all details automatically, generate list of material,... 

For Plant Design Suite:

- Add in ultimate suite the Robot for calculation of structure (the same like in building design suite 2013)

With those changes the Plant3D will accelerate it integration in industry, and in few time will be the best and more usefull.

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yury Bogdanov
ASIDEK(Grupo CT) - Partner Directo de Autodesk
Barcelona (Spain)
199 REPLIES 199
Message 101 of 200
puthumazha
in reply to: ybogdanov

1. Fabrication spool piece creation in ortho style
  2. Elevation from finished ground level / finished floor level/North and East Coordinates which could be annotated automatically from the pick point of an orthographic view.
  3. Pipe support length auto adjusting with respect to the FFL/FGL and the pipe elevation changes.
  4. Auto-flanging : flanges shall be placed automatically in desirable distance during pipe long pipe routing. [in case of  shop prefabricated pipes are used]
  5. Auto re-arranging of valve numbers in sequence even any valves added or deleted from a process line.
  6. Numbering system in P&ID shall be improved. if we want to number 6" valve 6"-101,6"-102,"6-103..  8" valves also in the same serial number like 8"-101, 8"-102, 8"-103; i think presently it is not possible.
  7. Text style editing options in  P&D annotation to be improved.

Message 102 of 200
philip

It would be nice to have the option to template custom parts like you do for equipment.

Message 103 of 200

-It would be nice be to have the option to import a linelist from an Excel-spreadsheet into Plant 3D and then use this list to route piping. I would like it to work the same way the P&ID Linelist works but without having to create an actual P&ID.

-Hatching in orthographic drawings

Message 104 of 200

My overall impression of Plant 3D is okay, I think it will be a good program in a few releases. If you were starting off using a piping package and are not doing anything outside the norm then it is fine. I hope the Plant 3D development team take note of what the users are asking for and incorporate these them in release 2014 and later.

For us we are going to revert back to CadWorx for the next project and since it will be my responsibility to get the drawings out the door I am delighted.

A few comments:

The final straw came when using Plant 3D.

• We do a lot of stubins at unusual angles, CadWorx this is not a problem and has a positive connection in Plant 3D it is hard to make that connection to the exact spot you want, it would be great to model the pipe to the intersection of construction lines and then say connect to pipe, I have details of a couple of ways for doing it but the next day the one I was using would not work. There goes an hour just trying to make a connection, the boss does not want to hear excuses.
  • To get gaskets and bolts on the end of a pipe run you have to add a piece of equipment, which is fair enough but  I could then not get it to do what I needed. In CadWorx you can add in gaskets and bolts as needed, in this situation that is all I needed, it would be good if I had the option to turn them back on, while not ideal it gets the drawing finished and the project moves on.
  • Stub flange, when you add a stub flange in don’t erase it if you erase the pipe, treat it like a normal flange. It’s not magical and can exist on its own, they can also be welded back to back.
  • Basically allow things to be added and taken away, the programmers who make up the rules don’t seem to understand, this program will be used in a lot of different situations that they do not know about. For example in CadWorx I have used a gasket and renamed it as a Paddle Blind, I was then able to add a spacer in the pipe along with Gaskets and a Paddle Blind which only appeared in the material list.
  • In CadWorx the Bleed Ring was simpler and could be used for a lot of misc. items like deflection cones when you just needed something to add to the model.

Isometrics:

• Basically we want as much information to appear on a drawing as possible. If there is only a couple of spools and a bend, it does not have to fill up the entire drawing space. Work out the optimum size and space required then like Isogen allow us to change that percentage if needed. Isogen’s basic isometric was consistent and good, they needed very little adjustment. Basically do up a few samples in both programs and try and get Plant 3d Isometrics to look like the industry standard.
  • For Plant 3D I do like the way the material list expands to accommodate longer descriptions if needed and the Isometric dimensions are actual AutoCAD dimensions and not text in blocks.

Isometric drawing sheet set up:

• This is touted as a big improvement from Isogen and while initially it is a big improvement it falls down when you need to fine tune things. For example if you don’t actually want it to dimension direction arrows then get ready for a crash course in xml, it’s everywhere. You have to do a search in the discussion group copy the code across into IsoConfig.xml and hope for the best.
  • Separate the user settings from these files so you don’t have to input them again with a new upgrade.

Specs and Catalogs:

• This is more advanced than CadWorx, there are a lot more shapes that you can work with. I would have preferred more separation between the Catalogs and Specs. In CadWorx the library files only contain the dimensions and weights the Specs contain the description. I found I was spending a lot more time changing the catalogs to get the descriptions correct this was mainly due to the fact that you cannot change the End Type in the Spec, so if you need two items which are the same but have different end types then you need two catalog items. You can synchronize the specs with the catalogs but you better be sure you have not used that item in a different spec which required the different End Type.
  • When creating custom valve types I use the basic valve and add the custom actuator as a block, it would be easier to keep these blocks separate and just add a direction to where it is located like Topworks in CadWorx.
  • Why have Valve and Valvebody just have Valve that allows a custom actuator if needed.
  • Sort out a common Catalog and Spec format that will work through all the different Plant 3D revisions. It is already a pain but will become major as time goes on, you already have catalogs in 2013 format that can’t be used in 2012 which is a pain when that is the one you want. Stop listening to the programmers you don’t need to update the database version each time and if you do get a different format. This will also stop having to migrate the specs and catalogs.
  • Stop locking the specs when Plant 3D starts up, it serves no purpose as the first user in has access to them anyway. It makes the testing of the specs a pain, make it optional.

Discussion Groups: 

Excellent resource, I would have been lost without them, the users have solved most of the problems I was having.

Message 105 of 200
astaire

-Better library of pipe support and attachment databases

-MTO report (via Report creator & database manager) to display units of measurement particularly for fittings and boltings

Message 106 of 200
335-33329912
in reply to: PatrickByrne

@PatrickByrne wrote:

Discussion Groups: 

Excellent resource, I would have been lost without them, the users have solved most of the problems I was having.

Nice Post Patrick. I too find Forums / Discussion Groups to be a wealth of information.

There is also a CADWorx discussion forum, not sure if you are aware.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 107 of 200
balbs29

how can i download 3d plant?

Message 108 of 200
joane.bonghanoy
in reply to: balbs29

Hi balbs29,

We have not released AutoCAD Plant 3D 2014 yet. However if you want to download the 2013 version, you can do so via our Trial Version page. 

Joane Bonghanoy
Message 109 of 200
eski

1.  When a pipe is selected, it would be nice to have the T.O.P./C.O.P./B.O.P (maybe even T.O.I./B.O.I) listed in the properties palette for easy entry/changing.  Currently clicking the little arrow when the pipe is selected and "tabbing" to either T.O.P./C.O.P./B.O.P works, but sometimes they are out of the current zoom level view or are stacked on top of each other.

2.  Showing insulation as a seperate component in navisworks that could possibly be selected and given a transparency.  Currently I trace my pipe lines with a 3Dpolyline then sweep a circle with a diameter of the insulation.  This is a workaround but if i change my pipe, editing the swept solid is a bit of a pain.

3.  A better workflow for exporting/importing Plant3D models into Revit.  Unless there is a way that I havent read about.  Currently, whether I have the Revit link in the Plant3D dwg or an export using Exporttoautocad, Revit "sees" all the facets that make up the solids.  So trying to make Plan/Section drawings of equipment or pipe in Revit looks very odd/messy.

4.  Revise/check the dimensions of components in the out-of-the-box catalog.  I know this is suppose to be a starting point for the users, and we need to make changes, but it seems obvious that either; Autodesk didn't care to check the dimensions of certain components, outsourced it and a conversion from metric to imperial is off, or they used some non-standard manufacturer to come up with the numbers.  I have found gasket thicknesses to be completely wrong.  Reducer lengths to be out to .xxxxx decimal places that are so random.  Make them a round/standard number.  Those are just a few of many i have found.

5.  Let us make changes to the spec in the spec editor while Plant3D is open!!  (what a pain to constantly be switching)

6.  Ortho creation is a joke (not sure how to complete a full multidiscipline project drawing set using models exported from different softwares)

7.  Alternate ISOMETRIC naming schemes instead of just LineNumber-1...-2...etc.

8.  Easier to manipulate ISOMETRIC settings

9.  It would be nice if after placing a custom part using PLANTCUSTOMPARTS to be able to attach extra 3D modeled pieces to the new custom part.  When you create a piece of equipment you can model up extra 3D detail and use PLANTEQUIPMENTATTACH to basically "union" it to the piece of equipment.  If we could do the same for custom parts, that would eliminated having to create blocks.

10.  Make it so Plant3D equipment looks nicer in navisworks.  If i create a tank with domed roof, even when changing the faceting factor in navisworks to something very high, the tank still does not show a very smooth diameter or domed head.

11.  Ductwork/process conveying line styles/equipment in P&ID.  I know PIP standard doesnt cover that, but i would be great to have ductwork line styles/tags/equipment to be placed on P&ID.

Message 110 of 200
eski
in reply to: eski

almost forgot..  Vault integration if it makes sense.  Would like to see how its implementation could benefit this software.

Message 111 of 200
dave.wolfe

1. We have a plugin that does this: http://www.pdoteam.com/store/pdo-extended-fields/

4. Is a known issue and being worked on.

5. Whole heartedly agree.

7. You can - I need to write a blog post on it.

Addendum - Vault integration is available for subscription members as an extension. http://docs.autodesk.com/PLNT3D/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesPSU/GUID-9FBEF151-97D3-40E5-A3CA-A4BD73...

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 112 of 200
Peter_Jansoone
in reply to: puthumazha

eliszymanowski7369, about your point 7: check my post at Dave Tyner's site about this :

http://www.davetyner.com/forum/showthread.php?11206-Isometric-file-naming

---------------------
Peter Jansoone
Plant Design software consultant at Arkance Systems Belgium
Message 113 of 200
dave.wolfe
in reply to: Peter_Jansoone

The attributes that can be used are defined in the Iso.atr which is in the same folder as the isoconfig.  They are defined by setting the mappings in the title block (or manually by editing the files).

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 114 of 200
l_tony
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Hello! Created account just to give my input to future releases of Plnat 3D so please take note and correct me if I'm wrong. I am a fan of Autodesk Products and we need a change in softare where I work.

1***. We need a complex Highlight/Select Filter for ALL of the elements in the workspace. Currently you can only set in the settings that the lines be created on teir own layer OR that the Items be on their own layer etc. However if you switch back and forth between theese they loose their information. This is stupid. We work with Pllant 4D (Add-in to AutoCad/AutoCad Mechanical) here and there is a most beatifull filter: it allows me to select multiple lines, multiple items/elements and to Highlight/Select/Isolate. Great thing this is! At a push of a button I can isolate/select/highlight 3 or x no of lines, all of the valves, all of the elbows, all of the pumps etc AND swith back and forth, add/subtract from the filter whatever elemts I want. This is a valuable asset for any plant designer: to switch lines off/on, select things obscurred by floors/other elemets and do this quicly. Right click + select line it's almost useless and hard on the system. The little light bulb on the layer drives me nuts.

Tell me: how can I isolate one line, move it/modify it/ then revert back to my workspace provided that I already had a few layers off (like the platform jackets, the steel structure)? And don't throw me the group, save layer state or something like that, those are not practical at allll. Really, do I have to think about layer state saves instead of the actual process at hand?

Btw, CEA Plant4D is data based driven software. Is this better or worse for cad?

2**. We need ASAP easyer support creator!!! It's a hassle to create a support. Where is the simple U-Bolt with one/double nuts? Why do I have a Height and Width of the nuts instead of the stanrd M16/M10 etc? Or at least put this as an OR option for putting standard or custom nuts on the pipe support. Also it would be great if we could drag their heght. Custom support is just as block with a fancy tag.

3. About custom equipment has already been said alot.

4*. We need a middle point for Elbows so that we can place the elbow at the intersection of two lines and continue from that point onwards.

5. We need more isometric customisation, let me choose the model and the colour of the flanges.

6. We need a more easyer class creator (it's not complicated but very frustrating).

7. We could use some 3d dimensioning, that is always level with the screen for easy reading and location of equipment.

That is all, I think. I really, really like Plant3D to the Plant 4D that we use. could this be implemented, do you, Autodesk, have time to implement all of our request or the project leader only chooses a few from the lot? 

Thank you for reading my very first Autodesk post.

Message 115 of 200
Arun_Kumar_K

Update Annotion command in ortho view.

Centre line display of structural members in ortho view

top of steel and bottom of steel Annotion for steel members in ortho view

built up steel sections

Grid display in ortho view

Shape intelligent for civil columns and beams

Hidden objects display in ortho view, as an user option
Message 116 of 200

I would like to be able to use the PnPID in the ISO metric as the "Item Number", imagine if when reviewing the ISO, you can look at the PnPID and then make an edit in an excel spread sheet (that has been exported from the data manager).

And it would make matching up the ISO to a full BOM generated by the Report Generator easier.

Message 117 of 200
eski

2 other ideas I have come up with in the last few days that would be great time savers are as follows:

1.  After using PLANTEQUIPMENTCONVERT to convert some 3Dsolids/surfaces to a Plant3D equipment I would like to add nozzles and have them behave like nozzles on equipment created using the templates in PLANTEQUIPMENTCREATE.  So far when i try to add nozzles on converted shapes there is no "graphic" of the nozzle and it is only assume to exist even though I pick the size, rating, and type, it never appears.  All that shows up is a "+" to start routing pipe from.  It would be nice if it acted like nozzles on other pieces of equipment.

2.  I dont understand why that when in the spec editor and after adding a new part to a spec, for example a weldolet, and i want to hide some of the sizes (with the weldolets there are over 100 at least) I cannot ****/ctrl click and select multiple sizes at once to click the check box to hide.  Currently I have to click every single box (maybe i only want 1 or 2 out of the 100).  Either a "Select all" checkbox or the abilitly to highlight multiple sizes at once and check the box to hide them would save much time.

Message 118 of 200
ashley.walker

I would like to be able to toggle visibilty of Field Welds in the 3D Model

Message 119 of 200

I really would like to have the ISO a multi thread tool ie:

When it has created a PCF file, start generating another PCF file (as it currently does) but also start to generate the final DWG (and/or spread sheets) so we can start to work with the end data more quikly.

Message 120 of 200
l_tony

How about a sequential preffix and suffix added to the PDF to generate. This is for printing a multi-sheet document; the PDF's will then be called 2"-ACM3A-...-ET_SH1, 2"-ACM3A-...-ET_SH2, 2"-ACM3A-...-ET_SH3. A suffix/preffix for print/publish will be much appreciated (for all autocad products) and if possible a button to create sequential numbers, like in 3DsMax. So the know-how exists, it was implemented and tested, it just needs porting.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost