AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Wish List for 2012

86 REPLIES 86
Message 1 of 87
sreid13
11588 Views, 86 Replies

User Wish List for 2012

Just thought it is a good idea to start this thread seems with the previous thread 'User wish list' most of the ideas were implemented in version 2011. So if anyone wants any improvements or added features here is the place to have your say.

- To be able to get female threaded connections in the equipement creator.

- The ability to insert a block that has an assembly of parts. For example we use various risers for gas, oil and water and they are all standard assemblies. So it would be easier to have a directory of risers so we can just insert a block and be able to move it wherever it is needed and still be able to connect to it unlike xrefs, which need to be on 0,0,0.

Regards,

Scott

86 REPLIES 86
Message 21 of 87

Some more features that would be great in next version!

# When you decide to show the Insulation in the model it would be nice to se the pipe underneath the Insulation.

So if the Insulation could be for example transparant.

# When you change anything in the Specgenarator för example the Wall thickness of a Pipe.

When you later uppdate this spec in Plant 3D the new information will not be shown.

This is some features that would be great to do something about...

I will post moore things on this thread in the future...

Allt the best for you all!

// Christian Figved

Svensk Pixelproduktion AB

Message 22 of 87

Thanks for all the suggestions. This kind of information is useful in planning future release.

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 23 of 87
Loffmar77
in reply to: PeterQuinn

I would like to be able to tab from one piece of information to the next within the enhanced attribute editor. Always needing to select text>edit text>click new text>edit....and so on can really start to add up time wise. A tab feature would REALLY speed things up. 

Message 24 of 87
Woza
in reply to: sreid13

Hello again,

I have 2 ideas to add on behalf of Deno and Richo,

1. When a piece of equipment has been created with Vanilla AutoCAD currently we need to turn it into a AutoCAD block then convert it using the plant tools provided. (in an ideal world we would be importing ADSK (Inventor parts) files however a LOT of equipment has already been done in Vanilla  AutoCAD 3D.

To make changes to the model we can now use the block editor and still retain a intelligent plant object after changes made.

Solution.

Lets us stop "adding" half baked fix up tools making P3D even bigger and consolidate this into a more streamline tool within "Edit Equipment" .

2. When creating Ortho Views currently we can save views of objects which is a good time saver already however if the user can save the views AND the drawings selected as a template of sorts for future (possibly as a drop down list of recent outputs to select from) view generation with the capability of ADD and REMOVE  X-Reffs would be a way of not double handling the views generated. I am also part of the 2012 AutoCAD beta program and aware of the current changes.

My 5 cents worth.

Just to sum up our goal collectively between all of us on this forum should be to streamline and simplify our day to day and minute to minute tasks.

If anyone has similar ideas or work arounds as suggested above we would like to hear from you.

Regards

Woza

Message 25 of 87
rmckee

One thing that would really be beneficial is the ability to select layers for an Xref and revert them to the layer setting native to the Xref itself. For instance, if I attach an Xref and save a drawing, the Xref layer configuration is saved. If I change a color or linetype of a layer in the Xref, it will not update in the drawing. Visretain surely handles this but for ALL layers and there is not control over which layer you can update.

If we had an ability to perhaps right click, or multiple select, on a layer in Layer Manager and select "Reload from Xref" and it reverts back to the properties of the Xref, then it would be very beneficial.

Message 26 of 87

3 things for me:

1. make AP3D works when working very far away form 0,0,0. (currently im as-building a PDS project that was done on x=20057000, y=10303345, z=105000 and AP3D is not consistent especially in connecting flange component. sometimes it connect sometime it isnt.)

2. More Parts to the Custom Parts Library and To be able to edit  them once they are placed in the model.

3. Pipe Support Precision placement

Message 27 of 87
sreid13

- To be able to change the default 'AutoCAD Plant 3D Content' folder location on setup. For instance when setting up a deployment, being able to have the folder location look to a network drive without overwriting the current contents so every user has the same content so we dont have to modify the paths in the registry to achieve the same.

-Have better intergration between the P&ID and the model. Currently with the annoyances of the P&ID software creating P&ID with it isnt worth the troubles that we are having.

Cheers

Scott

Message 28 of 87
TPHadden

To Whom It May Concern,

Please note my wish list and implement it ASAP, Please.

I work in the power generation industry and we use large boilers to produce steam. These boilers require ancillary equipment in the order of fans and blowers, and require special hot gas ducting not normally found in your standard mep settings.

I would like to be able to use plant to design, route, support, and parts these types of equipment as well.

I envision being able to design this high temperature ducting per existing standards, (usually SMACNA - Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractors National Association) for both round and rectangular ducting.

Fans and blowers should be designed per the AMCA standards, (Air Movement and Controls Association.)

Other equipment that should be highly considered in this wish list would be:

• Baghouses
  • Percipitators
  • Boilers
  • Economizers
  • Quench Towers
  • Exit Stacks

Hot Ducting should be designed as refractory lined, or regular sheet metal insulated.

Materials of construction should include:

• Carbon Steel
  • Stainless Steel
  • Inconel
  • Other Alloys

I look forward to receiving my update notice letting me know this wish list is now available.

Respectfully,

THadden

Message 29 of 87
PeterQuinn
in reply to: DJPiper

This is in response to P-noy

Thanks for your input.

1) We have this logged as a bug and we will try to get it resolved in the next release. Is it just connections when you're far away from the origin, or is there some other problem with large coordinates?

2) Custom part editing. Thanks for bringing this up. We've had others also ask for this. It's on my list of things to improve.

3) Pipe Support precision placement. This is also someting on my list of things to improve.

Thanks again.

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 30 of 87
PeterQuinn

Scott,

Thanks for the info.

Both of these are on my list of things to improve. The content folder location issue is a pretty high priority for us to address as soon as we can.

Thanks again for your input.

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 31 of 87

I'm not sure if we can do this already, or at least not discovered a method.

- The ability to copy between cataloges. Including between metric and imperial with conversion.

- The inclusion of a more complete (European Norm) EN Catalog, which is now replacing DIN standards. I'm in the UK.

- A user interface for editing steel sections. Also the addition of UK steel sections.

Thanks

Message 32 of 87
dgorsman
in reply to: PeterQuinn

Something I've been flogging for a while, might as well give it another nudge.

Too many times we have piping models from some software or another that cannot be used, so we waste time building the model using the software at hand.  Then five years later the client switches to a different EPCM with different software and their models are now useless.  Again.  Despite the recent surge in new facility construction a great deal of work is still being done in expansion, debottlenecking, and repurposing facilities that have already been modeled.  PDS, SmartPlant, CADWorx, Plant4D, PDMS, AutoPLANT, now Plant3D - nothing talks to each other.

There is a need for a platform independant data format (likely XML, almost certainly NOT PCF) for common piping components.  This would allow the bulk of used components to be transferred between software with relative ease.  Clients would be able to select from a wider variety of EPCMs, including those with newer software like AutoCAD Plant3D, since the EPCMs would be able to re-use existing models.  EPCMs would be less reluctant to adopt newer software which would leave them unable to bid for work.

A common question from our salespeople is "The client wants deliverables in PDS; can we do that?"; if you aren't already using PDS the answer is always "No, we can't".  I would much rather tell prospective clients "We can give you OpenPlant XML data.  You can use that anywhere."

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 33 of 87
PeterQuinn
in reply to: chbiz

chbiz -

The catalogs in Plant 3D aren't for a specific unit. You can use the US ANSI catalog to build specs that can be used in imperial, metric, or mixed metric projects. The catalogs have native units and the ability to switch from the native units to other units.

There isn't anything in the released software to enable copying from one catalog to another. This is something that is a high priority for a future release.

About additional catalogs. We've started to release additional catalogs as Content Packs on the Plant Exchange site. This is outside of the regular software release schedule. You can find them here: http://autocad.autodesk.com/?nd=plant_content_packs

We don't have a EN catalog available yet, but it's on the to do list. When it is available it will be posted as a content pack.

Thanks for your feedback and interest in Plant 3D.

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 34 of 87
jlf16

I have been evaluating ACP3D for only two weeks - but here are a few issues I am concerned with:

- Inability to annotate BOP's automatically

- Inability to annotate with leaders, I saw it done in a video but do not have a leader option in the command on my      trial program.  The leader should be aligned to the end of the text - not to center.  Pasting text into mtext w/leader properly placed should not be an appropriate compromise.

- Long wait times for otho generation with large file sizes.

Thanks

Message 35 of 87
outotecdh

1. To allow placing control valve and instrument to 3D model environment from P&ID List, currently only Lines and Hand valves available

2. To allow PID symbol-3D objects-ISO symbol mapping for control valve and instrument (objects in Instrument Class), for example Pressure gauge

3. To allow actuators (e.g. pneumatic, electrical, motor) to be in an individual class and be definable with valve body to form a Control valve 3D object

4. To open Iso symbol file and allow user to edit existing or create new isometric symbol and SKEY, Alias Symbol Editor could be a plug-in tool for this purpose 

5. To develop a graphic interface for isometric option switch, or Alias I-configuration as plug-in

6. To enhance previous project re-use function, to allow user to choose from various settings instead of just a tick box in project setup and no detail info

7. dimension indication graphic for parts creation/modification in catalog editor is unclear and lack of detail description 

Message 36 of 87
btrevena
in reply to: outotecdh

6 additional wish list items:
  1. Ability to connect stub-ends directly to fittings with SW, PSW or SPIG end types. Presently Plant 3D requires a minimum pipe length between stub-ends and fittings. 
  2. Differentiate between Field Welds (FW) and Field Fit Welds (FFW) and add Green to Cutting list for FFW.
  3. Ability to place pipe supports on tees, in-line components and couplings. 
  4. Ability to merge catalogues.
  5. Ability to add custom structural profiles.
  6. A method for modelling of cable trays.
Bruce
Message 37 of 87
donande

In Layer Translator add the ability to include/exclude all columns, prominently “Description”.

A CAD manager add on pack for full AutoCAD, including Command import/export,, Toolbar import/export, Quick Toolbar import/export,  and ability to have other used auto update  Palettes and tool at start-up.

(Not every CAD manager works for an Architecture or civil firm, and we will NOT buy software of no use to us,  just to get management tools, but we will buy just the Management tools.)

DesignCenter need a “Standard” tap, and ability to place and lock in standard drawings.

For example a drawing that includes all the users standard layers and anther for detail sheet standards.

Add “Description” when viewing layers.

Have column with restored to last used at startup.

Ribbon second screen docking plus both Top & Bottom docking on both screens.

Multiple Tool Palettes.

Create a Command for Tool Palette that would work like MATCHPROP but instead of selecting a object to match, the user presets the properties in Tool Properties.

Add layer Filters to DesignCenter and/or ability to import/export Filters.

Move version text to bottom, and give us the ability to have drawing text align right, left or center.

In popup boxes like Customize User Interface have columns and expansions to restore to last used at opening them.

A Redefine all Blocks command.

My wish list is not just for a niche group of users, but instead a large % of users will find them useful and will help them be more productive.

Message 38 of 87
Attila.Vallyon

Hello!

Some recommendations:

1. to be able to set up the file name format system for the ISO drawings as well(like the source files and the ortho drawings)

The default file name is the pipe line group tag. I want to assign to the file name the isometric drawing number.

2. to be able to add the sheet number attributes to the title block. Find an easier way to set up the sheet numbers instead of changing the.POS files

3. to be able to edit the width factor and the justify of the fonts in the BOM setup on an ISO

4. to be able to change or define the axonometric sketching direction of an ISO

5. correct the issue where some hungarian characters and symbols shown wrong after the ISO creation in the BOM table: Ő, Ű, Ø

6. to be able to change the unit of the cut length of a pipe from mm to m in the BOM table.

7. to be able to put the tag of the valves and instruments beside them on the ISO.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Attila Vallyon
Message 39 of 87
Layout-Bob
in reply to: Attila.Vallyon

When I try to duplicate a custom component i get this "bezzerwizzer" message for the Spec Editor (see attachment).  The reason why i dont agree, is that I need duplicate the component for different pressure classes. Plant does not allow me to connect a pressure class 16 valve on a 10 pipe.

I dont want to edit the connection settings because it will be to easy for our engineers to do mistakes. Instead of duplicating valves it could be better with a feature that could do an exeption on a specific valve/fitting on a spesific size.

Another thing is the need to click with the mouse when changing port properties in "Advanced Editing Table". This makes editing very slow.

Both problems should be better solved in a future release.

Message 40 of 87
Attila.Vallyon

Hi !

Some recommendations for collecting the pipe insulation:

Put the insulation in a catalogue. This way the pipe insulation will be a part of the pipe spec. The data manager will collect it and calculate a length for it.

On the ISO a new type section will be created ( like INSULATION ) and there will be separate items for each size.

The dimension of the insulation will be meter or inch (like the pipe cut length) and the length is the cut length for a pipe, the centerline length for a fitting and the total length for a valve.

So the insulation will not be only a property but an actual collectable pipe element.

Thanks!

Regards,
Attila Vallyon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost