AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Wish List for 2012

86 REPLIES 86
Message 1 of 87
sreid13
11654 Views, 86 Replies

User Wish List for 2012

Just thought it is a good idea to start this thread seems with the previous thread 'User wish list' most of the ideas were implemented in version 2011. So if anyone wants any improvements or added features here is the place to have your say.

- To be able to get female threaded connections in the equipement creator.

- The ability to insert a block that has an assembly of parts. For example we use various risers for gas, oil and water and they are all standard assemblies. So it would be easier to have a directory of risers so we can just insert a block and be able to move it wherever it is needed and still be able to connect to it unlike xrefs, which need to be on 0,0,0.

Regards,

Scott

86 REPLIES 86
Message 2 of 87
PeterQuinn
in reply to: sreid13

Scott,

Why can't you create a block containing many parts and insert it, then explode it, in Plant 3D 2011? Are you looking for a tool to help manage the blocks, or is it something else that's missing?

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 87
sreid13
in reply to: PeterQuinn

Peter,

Thank you it seems to be working as you suggested now.

The other day when i tried it, it didnt work because when I exploded the block the parts disappeared. I worked out that I used a bit of piping that was drawn in 2010 and then the project was migrated to 2011.

But today it works as expected with parts drawn in 2011.

Thanks,

Scott

Message 4 of 87
Roobuls

Better capability in creating views in drawings. Views that auto-update when model changes.

Better capability in creating views in drawings. Views that auto-update when model changes.

Message 5 of 87
amalynn

1. I would suggest to improve in the Spec and Catalog Editor.

Since the industries users are using different Specs so it's better

if  it's easy to use for customizing parts and for own standard.

2. Somehow not stable when creating equipments and inserting them

from drawings. End up need to restart only can take effect.

3. Error occurs when doing editing from Project properties.

Those are problems faced.

Hopefully they can be improved in coming version.

Message 6 of 87
mbradford

I would really like to be able to set a current dim style by selecting a dimension in a drawing. A command that lets you to select a dimension and all the settings for that dimension become the current dim style.

Message 7 of 87
Bob
Participant

I may be only speaking for myself, but I found the 2010 version of Spec and Catalogue editor much easier to use. The changes to 2011 have made it much more difficult to create custome parts and there seems to always be an issue when adding the new part to an existing spec.

Message 8 of 87
MKSAUGHUST

A native MAC version would be my favourite... But I'm sure this is being unrealistic.

Message 9 of 87
iraklidze

Some additional functions in tables like: IF, Average, min, max etc (not too complicated functions like in Excel).

also it wold be good to have Autocad in GNU\Linux platform

Message 10 of 87
SteveDarvell

A table or spreadsheet based method of nozzle entry for vessel and equipment moddeling. Currently it seems a bit cumbersome to input nozzles one at a time using the "add nozzle" dialog. If it where possible to simply add all of the required parameters for all of the nozzles into a spreadsheet at the same time we would not have to go in and out of the "add nozzle" dialog box which seems to take a lots of extra time for what appears to be a simple data entry task.

Would it also be possible to be able to select and define the reference datum for the "nozzle height" when initially modelling a vessel. In the same context it seems it could be a little more user friendly to define the nozzle length when adding a nozzle onto a dished head. We would normally dimension the nozzle stand out to either the shell to head weld or to the tangent line of the head (or a specific reference line) but it seems when entering the length of a nozzle on a dished head that the datum is none of those and some trial and error is required to get the correct length to the flange face from our datum. (unless I am missing something)

Message 11 of 87
chbiz

- + grips on xrefed equipment

- Would be nice to have pipeline groups in the 3D side to appear in the datamanager.

- More flexibility with ISOGEN to include pressures, rating, P&ID number of related pipe runs to appear on Isometric. I don't want to have to add manual information to an isometric as the whole purpose of automation is to avoid this.

Message 12 of 87
PeterQuinn
in reply to: chbiz

Chbiz,

Thanks for the info. I'll put the first two on my list.

The third one - getting additional information onto the isometric. There is a facility for this called Line Designation Table (LDT). The idea is that you put the info you want on the iso titleblock in a a XLS file that also contains the line number. When the iso runs, it keys off the line number and puts the data from the XLS in the PCF.

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 87
chbiz
in reply to: PeterQuinn

Hi Peter,

I think this is exactly what I need, the LDT attributes are shown when editing the isogen titleblock. The big question is where is the documentation about this which explains how to create a LDT file?

I'll add another new feature while I'm at it.

- Instrumentation, can we have some generic types. I know we have inline flow meters, what about dials, pressures switches etc. Similar to what AutoPLANT can offer.

UPDATE: I've taken a quick look at this and I can see what this does. Only problem is this moves away from automation and data being pulled from the database itself, but useful nevertheless.

This relates back the the P3DLineGroupData, as this can't be edited right now, if this was more flexible it would help alot. for example the nominal pressures and temperatures are listed in the attributes but when you place them on a isogen titleblock there is no data. You can map them, but no way to add data in the 3D side. I think there needs to be a tighter link between 2D and 3D.

For example, would it be possible to use an aquisition field in the 3D side and have the option to pull data from the 2D database, so for example.

2D Group Line Number say L100 with Nom Pressure Etc

Create a 3D Line with Same Number, we then share fields, a Nom Pressure in 3D would aquire the data from the 2D defined line.

Just an idea.

Perhaps this can be done using some wizardry but would no doubt be useful for an averge user who wants to make maximum use of data and avoid duplication.

Message 14 of 87
PeterQuinn

I completely agree about making a tighter link between P&ID and Plant 3D. We'd like to improve that including the LDT interface.

About instruments, do you mind if I contact you to get some more details? Please email me Peter_dot_Quinn_at_Autodesk.com with your contact info.

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 87
Fernando44

From Spain.

Something more for AI 2012. Pre selected surface finish values, or create templates. As In AM 2010-11.
Idem for the rectangle symbols of tolerance.

Best Regards.

Fernando Seoane

Message 16 of 87
PHammink8001

Hello,

I would like that when you make your Ortho drawings that the layer setting will be the same as in the 3D model. Most customers want Autocad GA with their layer settings.

Regards,

Peter

Message 17 of 87
Woza

Hi Scott and Peter,

I only have 3 items to add to wish list.

Firstly what an amazing jump from 2010 to 2011! but lets keep the ball rolling 🙂

1. In serious need of a toggle option when routing fittings with the ability to Override the priority list.

2. We desperately need cut back capability on ALL types of elbows not just plain (PL) and beveled (BV) plus bends as well.

3. Mitered joints on Pipe (it works on the hand rail !)

The nature of work is not only Fuel Gas but Mineral processing as well where a lot of PE pipes and fittings are used with lots of mitered joints. Water Treatment  plants also share many of these situations.

I would appreciate hearing from others if you have had similar limitations.? Or work around?

Regards

Warwick

Message 18 of 87
Stassel

Id like to add one thing to the list,

Id like to be able to edit ISOgen symbols in a similar way as editing P&ID symbols... Having a list of the symbols, click on a symbol, open the block, and edit away, save the block, open Plant 3D and make Isometric drawings with my custom symbols. Even if its a different program I have to open to edit this information.

EDIT: and one other thing! Being able to create, from custom geometry, fasteners for Plant 3D connections! specifically a clamp!

Thanks,

Andrew Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 87
RoyDunn

I have a bizillion parts that I created in Mechanical Desktop that I would like to be able to import.  And how about Inventor files from previous versions (2009) that don't export to an adsk file?

Roy

Message 20 of 87
Fragels

1. Easier controll of Ortho Annotation settings.

2. Ability to set units (m/mm) for Ortho Annotations

3. Ability to control line colors and line types in orthos independently from the 3d model.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost