AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Bind Xrefs

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
chbiz
3034 Views, 8 Replies

Unable to Bind Xrefs

I have an issue when I cannot bind xrefs to a layout, even though all models are part of the same project.

Error Msg:

**XRef Plant drawings must be of the same project part to be bound**

Image 1 shows layout and xrefs to bind.

Image 2 shows error after bind command is used.

Image 3 shows Project Manager confirming all models are part of the same project.

When using AutoPLANT we use this method for archiving and saving the drawings, and would like to be able to do the same with Plant 3D.

Can anyone offer any input here?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
lopezjo
in reply to: chbiz

The check is recursive. Nested xrefs must be added to project also.

Jorge Lopez
Software Architect
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 9
chbiz

All xrefs are part of the project, see the images attached.

All the model I'm trying to bind exist in the project manager, nothing external to the project.

Message 4 of 9
lopezjo

Yes, this is an interesting issue. The ortho and piping project parts are actually separate so it is confusing the application.

Project parts is how we break a project up into separate files with a common schema and it is not apparent simply by looking at project manager how this split is. For example, P&ID and Piping are separate parts but show under the same tab. Ortho, Iso, and Related files also have their own project parts.

In this case, the nested XREF's are added to the piping project part and C2126-GA-001 is added to the ortho project part.

Do the nested XREF's include Plant 3D objects?

Jorge Lopez
Software Architect
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 9
chbiz
in reply to: lopezjo

I hear what your saying.

The parts consist of a piping model which of course contains piping parts. The other parts are mostly equipment items which contain nozzles.

I've had a support ticket out on this and the first reason was because they we're proxy objects, then I explained if you can bind AutoPLANT models together with proxy objects there is no reason why it should work here.

This is such a basic function of AutoCAD, and even the help recommends this method of binding for archiving, though doesnt work in its basic form.

Should I assume this is another bug with the software beiing unable to recognise its own project files?

It's very disconcerning as I've also just discovered the project creation bug where you are unable to create new project from customised projects as the picklists within the Plant 3D side are broken.

Basic issue of not being able to edit P3Group data within the datamanger, or in fact even choose a service for a 3D line without having to first have it exist in the P&ID is very poor.

You can't used screwed nozzles. The list goes on. (Yes there is a workaround).

Lack of support for the UK market, i.e. no steel sections, no pipe catalogs (Yes there is a workaround).

Our company is now sadly in a siutation where we will need to drop the software until a new release or these bugs are fixed. Three versions on and its still performing like beta software.

I've used most plant design software and perhaps splitting everything up in to seperate databases might not have been the best approach, it would be so nice to see a company develop one database which holds the project information, keep it simple and functional.

Sorry to rant but 3D Piping side of the software it very disappointing.

Message 6 of 9
lopezjo

Thanks for taking the time to describe the issues you are facing. With regards to the binding problem, the bind brings in the objects into the current drawing and adds to that drawing's project part database. Because the schema is different between domains, we have this issue as the classes / properties mismatch.

If you are interested in work around, we have to look at getting the drawings into the same project part. Probably the easiest thing to do is to add the ortho drawings to the Piping drawings tab (after removing it from the ortho tab). Otherwise, a more drastic approach is to use PLANTEXPORTTOAUTOCAD on the Piping drawings to create vanilla AutoCAD drawings that can be added to the ortho project part.

I'll log this in our issue database; mixing Piping / Ortho drawings together is not a workflow we previously thought about.

Regards

Jorge Lopez
Software Architect
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 9
chbiz
in reply to: lopezjo

Thanks for the reply and taking the time to respond Jorge.

I'll give the removing and adding the the piping tab, we though about the other method but is rather time consuming.

I hope we can have this feature implemented.

Just to add about ortho drawings, one of the reasons we are doing this is because we are limited to the TOP/BOTTOM/LEFT/RIGHT views and at times would like to create isometric views or similar to give useful views of a project design. I issued this as a support ticket and I've been told it's been passed to development, hopefully another thing we will see.

Another thing with the ortho's creation is we appear to be limited to a set list of scales (another support ticket). I would like to be able to add additional scales, i.e. 1:75, 1:150, 1:200. Is there anyway?

Best Regards

Message 8 of 9
lopezjo

I just realized that there may be a problem with the suggestion of binding in the piping tab. This will create new Piping objects that will affect reports.

Sorry about that.

Jorge Lopez
Software Architect
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 9
chbiz

Plus you can't add back the orthos after you remove them.

Thanks for trying, that's me done for today, have a good weekend!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost