AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spool splitting

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
milan_blom
1849 Views, 7 Replies

Spool splitting

I'm letting Plant generate spool numbers on the isometrics and i notice the following:

• Spectacles and blind flanges generate a spool. I can imagine that some would want that, but I don't, becuase it can create a clutter of spool numbers. I only want prefab pieces to have a spool number. Can I switch this of somewhere?
  • It seems Plant also generates a spool number on a branch where an olet is used. This doesn't make sense when ther is no field weld there. Can this somehow be fixed?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
PeterQuinn
in reply to: milan_blom

I don't know why the blinds and blind flanges are affecting spool numbering. I haven't come across it myself. It's possible that there's a filter in isoconfig.xml that controls this.

For the splitting on olets, this is a side effect of the max # of turns in a spool setting. It's treating the olet as a turn. The default for max turns before splitting is 3. If you change it to 0 to turn it off, it will no longer split at an olet. 

To change it, you'll need to edit isoconfig.xml. Find the MaxDirectionChanges setting and change it to 0.

You might get the PDO Team's XML editor for help if you're not used to editing XML. http://www.pdoteam.com/store/iso-configuration-editor/

Free XML editors like XML Notepad are useful too.

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 8
Ahmed1081975
in reply to: PeterQuinn

Hi Peter,

Can you please more spacific that issue by scrren shot, i have the same issue for half coupling and blind flange also

Regards,

Ahmed Helal

Message 4 of 8
milan_blom
in reply to: PeterQuinn

Peter,

Thanks for the info.

I came across the MaxDirectionChanges setting myself, but didn't realize this would affect olets also. I switched it off (I like to be in charge when a spool splits), so that isuue is resolved.

Then spoolnumbers for blindflanges and spectacles remain, Maybe someone else?

BTW, thanks for the link. This tool seems very helpful.

Milan

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

I want change the file isoconfig so that the split point are the  flanges and sleeves

Message 6 of 8
Asimo5000
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm bringing this topic back up.

At my company we do not care much about spools, only about a given line number and that should get generated into multiple sheets.

I've already customized the filename and sheet splitting to get what I would like

LINENUMBER_01-SHT1.dwg
LINENUMBER_01-SHT2.dwg

What we're noticing from some of our models, especially disjoint (I understand why), but some are even connected properly:

We get outputs like this

LINENUMBER_01-1.dwg
LINENUMBER_01-2-SHT1.dwg
LINENUMBER_01-2-SHT2.dwg

LINENUMBER_01-3.dwg

As you can see this line split into three spools, one spool requiring two sheets. In reality this line should maybe be two sheets max. For some reason, even though line is connected properly the line is splitting into spools at some individual fittings. This is really terrible for the production of ISO. I can understand when you have two lines disjoint and they're tagged with the same line number that it should think they are spools.

I have played around with the <Spool> </Spool> section in Isoconfig.xml to try and understand this, but still nothing better. Ideally I would like NO spool splitting, only sheet splitting.

A list of what I have tried:

• Increasing SizeLimits to very high numbers, or setting to 0
  • Removing ModelProperty from Prefix
  • UsePropertyAsSpoolNumber = True, but without setting the number via model
  • IdentifySpools = False
  • SpoolSplit = False
  • SplitOnCongestion = False

Any ideas where to start? What controls the fact that some spools have been split at single fittings even on a fully connected model?

Message 7 of 8
Asimo5000

bump for thoughts from anyone!

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Check to see that the Blind Flange/Spectacle Blind is set to FIELD, not SHOP. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost