AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solidworks and Plant3D working in conjunction

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Christopher_Lam
3540 Views, 3 Replies

Solidworks and Plant3D working in conjunction

Hi All,

I'm working with two groups of drafters and have one working in Plant3D with the core of the project and the other working in Solidworks for equipment and detail modelling. I'm trying to get it so the team with solidworks can import drawings/equipment into the plant3d project and maintain intelligence as they update and go through revisions. Is there a good way to do this?

The only solution I have right now is to save the solidworks equipment file as a .SAT file and copy it in to the .DWG file. Then use the BLOCK and PLANTEQUIPMENTCONVERT commands and transfer the intelligence/information over in datamanager. This seems like an inefficient way to do it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

The only thing I know that might help the process is using the IMPORT command. You can import Solidworks files directly into a model (switch the file type). That may cut out a couple steps. 

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 3 of 4

Would be difficult to bring whole with intellegency, even with inventor its not possible at this stage. Should be happy that presently you are able to use solidworks model.
Message 4 of 4
dave.wolfe
in reply to: Arun_Kumar_K

I think he just means intelligence once it has been converted. I heard of one user who used the equipmentattach on an xref. That may work in this scenario. I don't know if the coordinates would be affected or not. But you could use one drawing to import the model into, and the reference that into the model. Then attach the equipment data (the first time). Updating the original drawing would be easy, and then the data is stored on the xref.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost