AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow switching pipe specs.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
rerskins
728 Views, 7 Replies

Slow switching pipe specs.

Ive thought that it was just the way Plant 3D operates, but I wanted confirmation.

When switching pipe specs, we have to wait 15-30 seconds before we can start a command or continue routing pipe. The lag is always when switching to a different pipe spec.

I hate to over compare different software, but in CADWorx switching specs is almost instantaneous.

I have no idea if this is inherent to Plant 3D or just at our office.
Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
EricNyh
in reply to: rerskins

This drives me crazy.  It's the DYNAMICTOOLPALETTE set to ON that is more than likely causing the delay.

Message 3 of 8
milan_blom

You didn't by any chance place your shared content folder on the network?

We had this issue when we put our shared content folder on a network share. This caused a delay in starting up projects of about 1 minute and a daly in switching between specs.

Placing the shared content locally fixed these issues. Switching specs now takes a few seconds.

Message 4 of 8
rerskins
in reply to: EricNyh

Eric, you're right. I turned off the Dynamic Tool Palette and I was able to finish my piping connections in record time. It's not the idea solution for the long term, but it got me out of a tight time crunch situation.

Thannks,

Ryan.

Message 5 of 8
rerskins
in reply to: milan_blom

Milan, I have placed the shared content on a network folder. I have to admit that I thought that it was the proper method for setting up Plant 3D for my office. We have fifteen deisgners working on a project and I thought placing the shared content on the network was the way to go. 

To be clear: Shared Content = Catalogs and etc., Pipe Specs = *.pspx & *.pspc

Should I have the content on each machine individually and have the designers copy updated catalogs on a regular basis? As for the specs, they are in the project folder which is on the network. 

With this information, any idea how I may speed up the process for all the designers?

Thank you,

Ryan.

Message 6 of 8
dave.wolfe

Spec Viewer and dynamic tool palette off.

7-2-2013 1-41-33 PM.png

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 7 of 8
milan_blom

Shared content is the folder with all the catalogs. Default it is located in the root of the c-drive.

I agree, it should be the way to go. I also had this issue and the formal response from Autodesk was not place shared content on a network share (why is it called shared content if you don't share it????)

The 'solution' they came up with was switching off dynamic tool palettes, but that is not a solution if you change projects or change your specs regularly.

We now place the content on the c drive. Our it dept. wrote a script using Robocopy to synchronise the local folder with the network folder. This script has been put in the startup folder of each user, so it's synched daily. If needed i can also have the users sync it on demand.

Your specs should be on the network in a shared folder.
Message 8 of 8
dave.wolfe
in reply to: milan_blom

I've had some clients who liked to use SyncToy (from Microsoft) instead of having to do the script thing.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost