AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up default project in Plant3d 2013?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
chad70811
1543 Views, 6 Replies

Setting up default project in Plant3d 2013?

Can someone tell me how to set my default project in Plant3d 2013? I know I can start a new project and point to a template project (project.xml) and get my new project to have the settings of from my existing project. But everytime I reopen my new project (created using a template project.xml) it keeps adding all the stock isometric styles to my project even though I have deleted them and replaced them with my own custom isometric styles.  I would like to make my template project my default project, so when I choose make new project, I would get my project setup how I need it, without having to use another project.xml as a template. I have tried modifing the default project under "C:\Users\trancc\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Plant 3D 2013 - English\R19.0\enu\DefaultProject" , but no matter what I change (ex. delete stock isometric styles from isometrics folder) the new project created still has all the stock project settings. It seems as though the default project settings cannot be changed. Can someone tell me if what I am trying to accomplish is possible>

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dave.wolfe
in reply to: chad70811

So, I've been trying to track down where's it's pulling the information for the default project from.  The installation folder (C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Plant 3D 2013 - English) has a project in it that I believe is what is pulled when a new project is created.

The specs are pulled from: C:\AutoCAD Plant 3D 2013 Content\CPak ASME

I think the Iso settings are supposed pulled from here: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Plant 3D 2013 - English\ISOProjectTemplates

but it doesn't seem to be doing so.

I think your best bet is going to be creating a template project on the network and then always use the "copy settings from" option.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 3 of 7
mike.sims
in reply to: dave.wolfe

We are already using a project template stored on the network and using the  "copy settings from" option, but it continues to add the default folders when creating a new drawing within the project.

Message 4 of 7
dave.wolfe
in reply to: chad70811

You could copy the template project folder and rename it in Windows. 

Dave Wolfe

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 5 of 7
dave.wolfe

So, here's what you have to do. 

While in Plant 3D, delete the isometric styles you don't want from your current project(through Windows Explorer).  Then start a new project.  Pull the settings from the new project from the project that you just edited.  

The new project will have the styles you wish and won't keep trying to copy the default ones into it.  You should use this project as a template for future project.  

Here's what happens.  Projects created through the wizard that do not reference another projects settings read the styles from  here: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Plant 3D 2013 - English\ISOProjectTemplates\.

If the default styles are deleted, the next time the project opens, Plant 3D copies them back.

Unfortunately, you can't edit the default project, so you'll have to use the copy settings from option. 

I'll write up a blog article on this and post it.

Dave Wolfe

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 6 of 7
Vitornis

So how do you delete ISO Styles from an existing project?
Message 7 of 7
dave.wolfe
in reply to: Vitornis

The closest you can come is removing the source files from the installation directory stored at:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2014\PLNT3D\en-US\ISOProjectTemplates\Imperial

or

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2014\PLNT3D\en-US\ISOProjectTemplates\Metric

I put them in a zip and then delete the folders.

The folders still get created in the project, but they don't show up in the project manager since they don't contain actual iso settings any more.

Dave Wolfe

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost